Question About Refrigerating Fondant

Decorating By rhiannonbell Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm by karensjustdessert

rhiannonbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannonbell Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 5

I have a problem/question -

I'm planning on making a vanilla cake with a white icing (buttercream minus the butter). The filling is going to be a thin layer of of icing with strawberry slices on it. I plan on cutting out various sizes of circles from fondant and placing them on the cake (in pink and green). I HAVE to refrigerate this cake - if I don't, I think the strawberries will be come very mushy and watery. I know everyone says not to put fondant in the refrigerator - but what should I do about the decorations? I have to make this cake a day in advance (no time the day of) - so I'm wondering if I should make the fodant cutouts ahead of time and place them on the cake an hour or so in advance - or if there is a way to put it all in the refrigerator, decorations and all...does anyone know? I don't want the fondant to be gummy or slimy but this is for my daughters birthday party and I don't want to be decorating the cake when the party is going on either...

I'm using Wilton's fondant. I don't have a lot of time to make my own or buy any other...

TIA,
Stephicon_smile.gif

4 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

You will get a slue of different opinions on this. However, I made some cupcakes with fondant ribbon roses last weekend. I refrigerated the cupcakes (fondant and all) and while the roses retained their shape, they were VERY slimey. I would put the decorations on after the cake is close to room temp.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 5

I think it'll be fine........see my fairy cake here I will give you the link and my flower pot cake (that one is actually with wilton fondant) I put both of them in the fridge because it was the only safe place for my kids not to see them!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=KHalstead&cat=0&pos=32

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=KHalstead&cat=0&pos=39

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 5

I put all my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. They have all done just great.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

You can take the cake out of the fridge in the morning, and slap those decorations on! The strawberry filling will be fine until the party. The fondant would be fine in the fridge overnight (see my gallery for a polka-dotted cake...it was refrigerated overnight), but some folks have had problems with doing that. Maybe my fridge doesn't have alot of humidity? I dunno.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%