Stupied $%^^% Cupcake Bouquet

Decorating By bakincakin Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 3:07pm by 7yyrt

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 11

Why is it that my cupcakes either won't stay on, the tops fall off or the frosting slides off the cupcakes. Am I making the too top heavy? Anybody else have this trouble?

10 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 11

Do your cupcakes have a large top over the paper?

bakincakin Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 11

Some of them did. I have been having trouble with cupcakes lately. My first ones (different thread) sunk in the middle, and now these ones had a dome on top and stuck to the pan. I had to take a butter knife and slide it under to loosen them to take them out.

tiptop57 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 11

kaka, what type pan do you use? I use a nice aluminum, not glass, nor cast iron, nor tin. Do you use papers? I do but I don't grease them. I grease the top of my cupcake pan and just slightly below the rim though to keep any batter that might rise to big from sticking to the pan, but I also try to keep my cupcakes from getting too big with a dome. I use about a one and 1/2 tablespoons full of batter per cup.

How are you putting the pan into the the oven, (from side to side or from front to back. ) If you put them in front to back you will have baking issues cuz it is hotter towards the back of the oven and cooler up front. I never bake two cupcake pans together either cuz more issues. And my rack is smack dab in the middle of my oven and not on the lower rung either.

I bake at 325 F. And I bake a lot longer then the 350 F. I usually go about 45 mins or so maybe longer, not really sure because I really go by sight and not time. Slower ovens help keep the cupcakes from rising too fast thus the sunken hole. I use the spring back when touched and toothpick trick to test for doneness.

As for frosting the things, I wait till they are absolutely cool. And if the tops are too big I will level them also. If the frosting is sliding off after cooling the level cupcakes then either your frosting, the house or your cupcakes are still too warm and I would put the frosting and cupcakes into the fridge to cool down.

If this sounds too elementary, I'm sorry. HTH icon_wink.gif

DanaJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaJones Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 11

i had to put about three toothpicks in each of my bottom layer of cupcakes when i attatched them to the bouquet... i pushed the toothpicks two thirds of the way into the cupcake and tried to angle them up as much as possible so they would have a greater chance of staying put. i dont know if that will help, but i have a picture of my bouquet in my photos... i dont know if it was just beginners luck but i had no issues with my icing other than the fact that i had never done roses before. Good luck and dont worry... you will figure out what works best for you!

tiptop57 Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 11

Oh as for the cupcakes falling off the form, use a sharpened cake dowel the exact same size as the cupcake with the frosting. HTH

bakincakin Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 11

I use an aluminum pan, I did put them in front to back. I'll do the side to side next time. I use papers, but didn't grease the pan. I will do that next time too. I also believe I overfilled the pans. Will not do that again. Thanks for the help icon_wink.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 31 Aug 2007 , 6:42am
post #8 of 11

kaka,
my icing slid off my cupcakes too,
Solved the problem by spredding a thin layer of bc with a knife on the top of the cupcake just before piping on my icing.
Just gave the flowers something to grab hold of I guess. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

happy102 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy102 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 4:13am
post #9 of 11

how do you make a cupcake boquet?

DanaJones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaJones Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 5:19am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy102

how do you make a cupcake boquet?

scroll down close to the bottom of the home page and there is an article posted by cambo entitled how to make a cupcake bouquet... It's really rather easy and it's the inspiration i used to make mine.... thanks again cambo.... thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%