Diamond Pattern Without Impression Mat ?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm by sharon57

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone tell me if you can make a diamond pattern on the sides of the cake without an impression mat? How would you make the pattern or can it be done?

6 replies
pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 7

Bump!

I would like to know how also.

Pat

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 7

You could always do it the old fashioned way, with a ruler and something like a toothpick to mark the lines. Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 7

You can do it with a ruler and a tracing wheel that you use for sewing but it is a little time consuming and you would have to measure it out so it comes out even. HTH

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

From experience, I would definitely suggest you get an impression mat. I think there is a lot of geometry involved because it's not just getting the lines the same amount of space apart, but you have to wind up at the end with the right amount of space between the last two lines. It's actually very hard and needless to say I would not try it again. It worked because the cake was for family but if someone was buying it I would not want that to be my final work product.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 7

We used a bent metal square cookie cutter. Just as long as you line up the 1st row - your fine.

Worked fine for us many times! icon_smile.gif

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help. I think I will try it, I don't sell cakes I just make them for family so far, But I like to practice different designs. I took a cake decorating class last year, But I have to say, I have learned more from this website than from the class. I really appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%