Need Help Asap!!!!!

Decorating By DivineDelectables Updated 27 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm by DivineDelectables

DivineDelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivineDelectables Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 12

Someone please help before I have a breakdown! I am making a wedding cake to be delivered in the morning. I know I am pushing it! But she could not decide what she wanted until 6:00 last night, a 2-tier square fondant cover with scroll work, quilted, with drapes and fresh roses!!! Which is fine me and Red Bull can handle that! Then she calls to say that she wants it to be creme filled but she doesn't know what kind of creme!! I talk her out of that for her to turn around and say it needs to be ivory!
Here is the promblem: I am out of ivory color, it is storming outside the store is 45 mins. away and to top all of that I have a 3 year old. can anyone tell me how to make MMF ivory without using icing colors? She is one of my best customers and supporters. I would really like for her to be happy!

11 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure but maybe a very tiny bit of brown or copper, maybe try with a smaller piece of fondant first.

I hope you're charging enough with all she's putting you through. icon_lol.gif

Andie1515 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andie1515 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 12

If you have brown food coloring, you could probably add just a little to give it an off white color or you could use colored vanilla to make it not so white. Gotta love it when the customer changes their mind at the last second.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 12

Use some regular (brown colored) vanilla, for the water, use coffee ??? It may have a slight coffee flavor, but IMO that would not be a bad thing!

missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 12

mmmm...Im I would try a bit of brown and yellow maybe, like a little little bit of color.

You are brave, I would not take a order like that unless it was at least a week or two in advance.

Good luck!!!!

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 12

I have gotten ivory from a tiny bit of copper color. It works wonderfully.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 12

Unless someone here has a solution to the ivory, maybe your best bet would be to call her ASAP and explain, "I am out of ivory color, it is storming outside, the store is 45 mins. away and to top all of that I have a 3 year old". Sometimes people don't realize that they have put such pressure on someone until .......

Good luck!

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 12

if you are making the fondant add vanilla extract that is NOT clear when you melt the marshmallows rather than water. It will make it an off white shade and adds a little more flavor to the fondant. HTH. Otherwise you may just have to either get her to get the color for you or make her settle for white..or other color. HTH

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 12

I have come to the conclusion that no "normal" person has any idea what goes into making a cake. My sister and I were talking about a cake I had made and the length of time it took to put it together, her comment "well, no wonder it costs so much to buy a cake." My cakes are gifts and except for maybe choosing a color, they get what I want to make. I'm blown away by the demands put on the baker by the customer. Again, they seem to have no idea what it takes, and all too often, no manners. My heart goes out to all of you! It truely is a very hard business.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 12

Or...call her at about 10 pm and tell her you need her to be a dear and just quickly run to the store (or several stores, or possibly the next town)in the storm, like a good bride, and find ivory food coloring, ivory fondant, or ivory marshmallows (LOL icon_cool.gif ), because you drank all your bourbon vanilla and can't find your car keys.

ROFL

No, seriously. The regular vanilla should do it...

If someone hadn't made up their mind like a WEEK before the wedding, I'd tell them at this point, it's not UP TO THEM what the cake will look like--I will be using whatever I have on hand... icon_lol.gif

You're awsome to be so great with her. thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 12

the regular ol' vanilla extract will DEFINITELY work......trust me I've made ivory mmf before on accident LOL

DivineDelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivineDelectables Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for answering so quickly, I didn't even think of vanilla. I had just laid out my raincoat and boots. You all are so wonderful. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!I Love CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%