I Thought Edible Image Sheet Is Supposed To Melt Into Icing.

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 22 Jul 2005 , 5:13am by traci

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 11

I was grocery shopping the other day and I usually check out the cakes in the case at the bakery.I noticed this sheet cake had a large edile image on it but you could see the entire frosting sheet like it was just laid on the cake.I thought the sheets are supposed to melt into the icing or at least that was my understanding..Do they not?? It didn't look very good. thumbsdown.gif Hmmmm.Is that the finshed product on an edible image or do you think this particular image just didn't melt in yet?

10 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 11

Frosting sheets do melt into the icing on the cake but if the sheet didn't match the color of the icing, you'll be able to tell. You can also sometimes see the outline of the sheet if it isn't covered with a border.

It also might have been done on wafer/rice paper which doesn't melt into the icing.

The grocery store images I've seen haven't been very good either.

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

The image does not melt into the icing if the icing has started to crust. So they may have just put it on too late. I always have mine ready to go right as the cake is done being iced, and slap it on there. I have never had any problems with it not dissolving into the cake. thumbs_up.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 11

I know the 2 that I did melted right down into my icing.. I followed lisa instructions and it worked beautifully!

farney0125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farney0125 Posted 19 Jul 2005 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 11

That is so funny that you look at the cakes at the bakery. My husband gets annoyed because I stop all the time in the bakeries and do the same thing. I either think..."oh I can do that..." or "that is so ugly, I can do better..." lol We are all addicted!

Lisa Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 12:01am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by farney0125

That is so funny that you look at the cakes at the bakery. My husband gets annoyed because I stop all the time in the bakeries and do the same thing. I either think..."oh I can do that..." or "that is so ugly, I can do better..." lol We are all addicted!

Tell me about it...I can't pass a bakery without stopping in to have a look. I went to Pigeon Forge, TN recently for vacation and there was a huge bakery there called the Atlanta Bread Co. I wanted to stop in so bad but dh wouldn't stop the car! I've never seen such a large bakery. Would have loved to have seen what was on the inside.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 1:52am
post #7 of 11

I always add a border to my edible image cakes...I think it adds a nice touch. I went to Las Vegas earlier this year and really wanted to visit Freed's Bakery...however, I was the only one...and we never made it there!!!!
traci

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 2:01am
post #8 of 11

We have an Atlanta Bread Co. near us in upstate NY and I don't know if it is the same chain or not but if it is, it only has a small area of bakery items. Most of their business is for sandwiches and soups in a "bread bowl."

I just thought if it was the same chain this might make you feel better...you didn't miss as much as you think. haha

Lisa Posted 20 Jul 2005 , 2:13am
post #9 of 11

That's the one...I looked it up. The only cake I would have seen was cheesecake. I do feel better. Thanks! I see bakery and all I think is cake. I'll never tell dh about this! I made such a fuss to see a sandwich shop--LOL!

Mjmil7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mjmil7 Posted 21 Jul 2005 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 11

I know what you all mean about wanting to check out the bakeries. My husband and I drove up to Napa Valley, CA, for our 25th anniversary about a month ago. He asked me where I wanted to stop each night and what I wanted to see along the way. I told him I wanted to stop in Hollywood and check out a few bakeries. I just thought it would be really nice to see what kinds of cakes were available to the rich and famous. Unfortunately, he said we wouldn't have time to do that. Oh well, maybe next time. I also add a border to my edible images with the exception to the last one I did of a photo of a horse. You can see the edge of it--misplanning on my part.

Janice

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:13am
post #11 of 11

Janice...your horse picture is still really cute!!!
traci icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%