Please Help Asap.....fondant And Gumpaste Together?

Decorating By bransmom Updated 28 Oct 2006 , 12:08am by JLG

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:39am
post #1 of 16

I need to mix these two and have no idea how. Do I put bc icing on the cake and then add the mmf & gumpaste mixture? Please help asap, I am working on this cake as we speak. My mixer broke and everything has just been a disaster. Thanks

15 replies
MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:49am
post #2 of 16

Oh, I've never done it, but I would think that you ice the cake with bc first and then cover the cake with the fondant and gumpaste (which is already kneaded together).

How did it go?

Are working on it now? I am writing from Central Fla. so is about 7:50 am here....

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 11:55am
post #3 of 16

MMF or other fondants and Gum Paste mixed together are for decorations, not to ice the cake. The gum paste is added to help in the drying process and probably doesn't taste very good.

bransmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 16

Well, it is for decoration......it is a glass of tea, so I need it to be hard to hold the shape......I am a procrastinator, not really though, just been busy and have like 3 cakes to have done by this afternoon and yes I am working on it now......I was just wandering if I need to make my mmf and then gummpaste and then mix them together......I have never used gumpaste

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 16

Oh, I really wouldn't use that mixture to cover the cake. Fondant tastes okay, but gumpaste not so much.
As far as mixing fondant and gumpaste together, to make decorations, you would just knead them together as you would any dough, until they are thoroughly blended.
And yes, you should put a thin layer of BC on, as smoothly as possible, before you cover with fondant.
Good luck with everything.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:05pm
post #6 of 16

Yes, that's the way I would do it. Make fondant and gumpaste or MMF separately and then knead together.

bransmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 16

Thank you so much, that is what I thought but wanted to make sure......I am going to put a little not to take it off before eating........I am sure you can see the panic in my typing....lol

MariaLovesCakes Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 16

Oh, its okay... you will do just fine!!! thumbs_up.gif

lapazlady Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 16

A batch of MMF is quite a bit of fondant. You'll want to mix about 50/50% fondant/gum paste, if you're in a dry climate, and more gum paste if it's humid. It still takes a while (24-36 hours) to dry. The more gum paste the faster. The thinner the decoration the faster. You can try drying in the oven, just the pilot and light, or under a warm light and I've heard of using a hair dryer (on low). icon_lol.gif

bransmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the tips, I will definately try them.......it is a rainy day here, so I am sure that will be longer to dry...........I really appreciate everyone's quick responses

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 16

Good luck...don't panic, and everything will dry as much as it can. I haven't tried the hairdryer trick, but it sounds kind of fun, actually. Wow, who else but a cake geek would think drying fondant with a hairdryer would sound fun?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 16

If you have a gas oven that runs off a pilot light (not electric start) then you can put the pieces on parchment paper, on a baking tray, and put them into the oven.

The gentle warmth from the pilot light will help dry the pieces in a short amount of time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bransmom Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 16

Mine is electric, so maybe if I put it in a warm oven, it will dry faster

lapazlady Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 16

You have to be really careful if you heat the oven. Remember marshmellows melt. I don't know at what temperature but it can't be too warm. (A 150 watt light bulb in an small enclosed area might put out too much heat.)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 16

I would not venture to do it with an electric oven, because if it's like mine, it will pre-heat the oven at a very high temperature, higher than what you set it at. The thermostat then turns off the oven when it hits the correct temperature.

Try a sample piece, to see how long it takes to dry. If you find it is taking longer than overnight, add a bit more gumpaste.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:08am
post #16 of 16

Ok, when I took my cake class, the instructor added a teaspoon of gumpaste to the fondant we used for the bow & ribbon on the top of the cake. But, never told me the purpose.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose is of adding Gum Paste to the Fondant and what the difference is between the Fondant and Gumpaste?

Thanks
Janet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%