Need Egg/nut/dairy/free Cake Recipe For 2 Yr Old Birthday

Decorating By balletcakes Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 12:48am by SueW

balletcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
balletcakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:13am
post #1 of 14

Hello-

My niece will be celebrating her 2nd birthday soon. Can anyone recommend a birthday cake recipe that is allergy free for my niece. She is allergic to eggs, dairy, peanuts, and white sugar. If anyone out there has baked a birthday cake for a child with allergies please send a recipe. Also can anyone recommend how to decorate the cake? The theme will be a princess party. Thanks so much.

13 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:30am
post #2 of 14

I really sympathize. My son is allergic to peanuts. I know plenty of ones that he can have, but with the other allergies, it's tougher. I would recommend that you go to the website of FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network). You can just Google "FAAN". THey have a recipe section that might help you. Also, talk with the child's mother-- she may have to avoid even traces, which might make things from your kitchen unsafe for her unless you take special precautions. There are also cookbooks out there for people with allergies. You might try looking for these. I hope that you can find something that helps. I am sure her parents appreciate your efforts.

balletcakes Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the information.

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #4 of 14

Cooking for an individual with multiple allergies is a real challenge and tchrmom is right on the money about traces in ingredients or even in your kitchen. There are sensitivities, intolerances and life-threatening allergies to consider. You do need to find out the severity of your neice's allergies and what category they fall under. Stick to products that are assured to be allergen free but still read labels and if in doubt, call the company. Also be aware of other names for products or ingredients. For example if you see casein or esters of something or other (I do forget the fill name at the moment), that means there are milk ingredients in the product. This could be life threatening to anyone that has a life threatening allergy.

That being said here is a good recipe that is egg, nut and dairy free. It does have white sugar in it though so once again check to see if this would have a big impact on your neice or not. You can omit the chocolate chips though as most do contain dairy unless you can find ones that don't have dairy in them....but you need to be sure they are manufactured in a peanut and nut free facility......it's a lot of work isn't it?

Egg-Free Dairy-Free Nut-Free Cake

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, cocoa powder, and baking soda. Mix well with a fork, then stir in oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract. When dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened, pour in cold water and stir until batter is smooth. Stir in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a rack.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 2:49am
post #5 of 14
kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 14

When I have to do a hypoallergenic cake, I use a mix made for that purpose. I actually have one I'm making for Sunday. I'm using Cherrybrook Kitchen's yellow cake mix. It is peanut, nut, dairy, & egg free. It also doesn't have white sugar. It uses evaporated cane juice and brown sugar.

I haven't used the Cherrybrook ones in the past, but I can let you know how it turns out in a few days. I'll be baking it tomorrow & decorating on Saturday.

http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

If your grocery store has a reasonable organic/natural selection of foods, you might be able to find them there. My local grocery store carries the chocolate version. I got the yellow at the organic market.

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #7 of 14

OK, I'm giving a thumbs down to the Cherrybrook Kitchen yellow cake. It would make a lovely cornbread, but not so much a cake. I didn't enhance it at all because she would have been allergic to anything I could have added. Oh, well, live & learn. Luckily, it's just for the smash cake, which her mom said didn't have to taste good anyway. She just wanted the baby to be able to have some cake on her birthday. The rest of the party gets yummy cake. icon_smile.gif

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 1 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #8 of 14

use your normal recipe...instead, use egg replacer (you can find it in health food stores) soy milk and turbinado sugar...
I use soy and turbinado all the time and will be using the egg replacer this week for an upcoming cake.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #9 of 14

...i thought that chocolate chips were made with milk??

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:08am
post #10 of 14

LadyDZA, I was thinking the same... maybe carob chips would be used as a replacement...

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #11 of 14

That has to be so hard to have to worry about all those allergies!! I cant even imagine having to pick apart every recipe like that and find replacements... or trying to go out to a restaurant.

Balletcakes, Are these allergies that your neice may outgrow later in life? Good luck in finding a recipe that you can work with, and I hope she absolutely enjoys it!! icon_smile.gif

balletcakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 14

I checked with her parent. We decided to serve fruits. We do not want to take a chance on any reaction to her allergies. Thank you so much for the information.

Also, the egg and nut free recipe I can use to bake a cake for my vegan friends. Again, thanks for the input from the CC community. I appreciate it.

balletcakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 14

I checked with her parent. We decided to serve fruits. We do not want to take a chance on any reaction to her allergies. Thank you so much for the information.

Also, the egg and nut free recipe I can use to bake a cake for my vegan friends. Again, thanks for the input from the CC community. I appreciate it.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:48am
post #14 of 14

I know it's a little too late but if you have the food store chain Wegmans near you they have a whole section of "health foods" and I have seen cake mixes for allergic individuals that barely contain anything bad. You could always try something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%