Building A Website

Business By sweetcakes Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 3:34pm by jillchap

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 13

I found this site that will build you a 5 page website for $99, you can also use their free website tools if you wish. additional pages are $25. at least it would be a start for those of us who haven't got a clue in building one.
www.cyberinvaders.com

12 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 13

I have a free one through freewebs.com, but it's full already icon_cry.gif It's just for fun, though. I don't have a business.

lovetrujillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetrujillo Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 13

My husband builds websites on the side of his full time job. I have to say that he is really good and i am no just saying that cause he is my husband. It is really hard to find a good quality designer for a reasonable price. He builds some major sites for rap artists in californias bay area. I can't wait to be ready to have my own site to see what can be done by him with cakes instead of music.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 13

Beachcakes...what are the drawbacks with freewebs.com? Are there ads streaming or anything like that? Curious because I am looking at starting a webpage. Thanks

Joanne usaribbon.gif

mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

Beachcakes...what are the drawbacks with freewebs.com? Are there ads streaming or anything like that? Curious because I am looking at starting a webpage. Thanks

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Joanne;

I think freewebs is a great place to start. When you begin, it is annoying to add one photo at a time, so I signed up for the $2.00 multi-uploader feature. I uploaded my pics, then cancelled that service. I now pay $2.00 per month to have more than 20 photos stored there. So it's nearly free, and they have some nice add-ons that are free. And about a zillion templates to get you started.

Good Luck!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 13

I used yahoo sitebuilder. My website isn't that great....but I did it myself. Had I dedicated an actual block of time I could have had it done in a day...but I couldn't figure out what to say ect so it took a long time. I pay $8 per month.

susiecho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiecho Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:30am
post #7 of 13

As a graphic designer who is serious about design (VERY serious), i don't reccommend cheap website builders. These are usually templates that have been overused by so many people, and rarely look professional. Sorry about being so blunt, but the truth is, if you really want to bring in clients, hire a web designerit's well worth it. Great cakes look even better when surrounded by great photography and typography, not to mention, a thought-out navigational system can benifit your site's usuability.

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:50am
post #8 of 13

I used Namo Web Editor to build my site and I pay $24 a year for hosting at www.hostfor2bucks.com this is the best deal that I have found. Namo Web Editor is like word and is very easy to learn.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 13

webeasy cost me $50. i built the site myself and i pay $10 each month to keep it online. not the best site but it's not too bad for my first attempt.

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 13

I use Homestead.com. I love it because it comes with a program which is very easy to use and gives you lots of options, like a scrolling photo bar, bouncing text, etc. I actually didn't use any of that but they have hundreds of pretty nice templates to choose from. I created my own background and have over 60 pics uploaded, with links to larger pics. It started out costing me $10 a month for hosting and use of the program, and you can add things as you need it, like 50MB of memory for $2 a month, or more pages etc. Check out my website to see what you think!

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudCake

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Joanne;

I think freewebs is a great place to start. When you begin, it is annoying to add one photo at a time, so I signed up for the $2.00 multi-uploader feature. I uploaded my pics, then cancelled that service. I now pay $2.00 per month to have more than 20 photos stored there. So it's nearly free, and they have some nice add-ons that are free. And about a zillion templates to get you started.

Good Luck!

I totally agree! Freewebs is easy and CAN look professional if you work at it and don't overdo...just keep it clean and simple. There is an ad banner bar at the top, however, it's not one that flashes and pops up etc. To make it seem more professional, I bought my domain name at yahoo.com and have it forwarded to my freewebs page...saves typing in the xxx.freewebs.com extention. Good luck.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 13

Sorry, I didnt get a response on this til now? I don't notice any popups on mine, but it does have a banner ad across the top. I didn't get very many pictures loaded before it was full - maybe 35 or 40?

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 13

I use google pages for a couple sites that i host... it has a good auto-format feature, or you can do freehand HTML.
It's free, and it has a pretty big capacity (not too sure of the actual limit).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%