Help Me Please????

Decorating By anneuk Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm by DEBBIE157

anneuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anneuk Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 13

I have just found out that my new neighbour is also my daughters Physio assistant. Her birthday is next sunday and I was going to make a small gift cake with a model of a little girl with plaster casts on her feet.... (my daughter has to have 3 monthly casts!)

The question is.... how best would it be to do this? I think I can manage the little girl (I am going to do a model - maisie Parrish style) but am not quite sure how to do the plaster on the legs without making it look messy!

has anyone done anything similar? Or know how I can tackle it..... it's only my third cake!

Thanks in advance!!!

Anne

12 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 13

Oh your poor daughter!

Are you using fondant? You can make the cast part of the leg white fondant, then impress it to get texture. I'd cut off the leg where the top of the cast goes and join together there. you can attach toes to make it look like they're sticking out of the cast.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 13

I'm afraid I won't be of any help, but had to say I admire you for attempting this as a third cake! (I saw a cake on "Ace Of Cakes" where they did a leg cake in a cast...your sounds prettier!) Maybe this will boost your question up in the line so someone will see it and give you a REAL answer. Good luck.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 13

I see beachcakes responded with a great suggestion! I hope you can post your finished cake for all of us to see.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 13

If you are going to use Butter Cream you might want to use tip # 47 or 48, it's usually used for basket weave, but 1 side is flat and I think it would work great for your cast.

I used it to make the halloween mummys!

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.
LL

anneuk Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks all,

I had a go early and md eone of the Maisie Parish style ballerinas... I then wrapped two pieces of fondant around the legs for the plasters...

The affect was actually really good looking but I sat my little girl to dry and when I loooked later she had sort of squished down on herself....

I used 50 /50 gumpaste fondant for the body but maybe the support wasn't adequte whilst she ws drying....

I ahven't really thought of where she will sit on the cake, but then thought about a fondant mini arm chair? shall I just play about with the shapes until it looks right? I am not very good at proprotions and don't want to end up with a giant chair and small girl or visa versa...

I think I must be mad.....

I am also going to half size the ballerina model from the book as she is too big to sit on my small cake... I think she will look better if more petite..

Anne

gateaux Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:55am
post #7 of 13

You could also sit the little girl on the side of the cake. Check out the picture of a graduate on the side of the cake pan.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=449713

Also I remembered about this other cake which sounds a little like yours. The person with the cast is sitting on a carpet.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=449713

It's really cute.

Good Luck.

anneuk Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm
post #8 of 13

Does anyone have the link for the second cake mentioned above, both links are taking me to the same (beautiful picture)

Anne

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 13

I just did a search for "broken leg" and this came up.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_871973.html

I think it could be cute to cut little strips of fondant and wrap it mummy style too.

gateaux Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:04pm
post #10 of 13

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_871973.html

yup sorry I must have double copies the graduate picture instead of the girl on the carpet with a glass of wine.

Good Luck

anneuk Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 13

This is my finished cake that I have been asking for help with... do you think it's good enough to give my neighbour?

Thanks for looking.... oops tried to put it here but can't seem to, the pic is in my gallery.....

Anne

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 8:29pm
post #12 of 13

I think it is more than good enough...it is wonderful! You did an outstadning job on this cake and should be very proud to give it to her. Let us know how it all goes!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%