Help Me!! I Am Ready To Just Quit!!!!!!!

Decorating By afh0212 Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 3:00pm by jobartwo

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #1 of 26

I have two cakes to do. One for tomorrow evening and one for Tuesday morning. Lately, every cake I bake STICKS!!!!! I grease and flour well and they still stick. I have left them in the pan for the 5-10 minutes that is instructed and then tried to take them out and thumbsdown.gif , sides are still in the pan! I am ready to just throw my hands up and say, ok no more cake decorating for me!
Any suggestions from anyone??? Also, does anyone used parchment paper to line pans?
Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
Andrea

25 replies
Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:39am
post #2 of 26

I usually leave my cakes in the pans longer. I take it out and let it set for 5-10 minutes and then flip upside down [still in pan] onto parchment paper on my cooling rack and cool...well, usually until it's cold...or for at least 20 minutes.

Sorry about your cakes sticking...don't give up!

annieb51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annieb51 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:54am
post #3 of 26

I have had the same problem in the past, and have had to throw several crumpled cakes away. I use parchment paper now with all my cakes, and it works perfectly. Good luck!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:28am
post #4 of 26

DON'T stop baking icon_sad.gif I had been having that problem on occassion and then discovered Baker's Joy. My sister's MIL told me about it! It's like PAM but it's called Baker's Joy and has flour in it. I've never had a cake stick since. thumbs_up.gif CAKE ON ! icon_biggrin.gif

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #5 of 26

Ditto on the parchment. I use it everytime and no more "donuts". icon_biggrin.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #6 of 26

use parchement rounds.....never stick and run a thin knife around the edge of the cake prior to flipping it over and out of the pan..

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:33am
post #7 of 26

I use Baker's Joy and parchment paper...just to be sure they won't stick! Haven't had any stick yet so don't give up!!!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #8 of 26

I use any of the baking sprays with flour. I also leave the cake in the pan for 15 min.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #9 of 26

Also, might double check your oven to make sure it reads right - if this is a new problem - might not be 100% done.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #10 of 26

DON'T QUIT. I don't leave my cakes in the pan that long. I never have a problem. If you want to try using the paper, try it, and see what happens.

Good luck, but whatever you do DON"T QUIT.

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:39am
post #11 of 26

dont give up i have been there before. now i always use parchment paper to line the bottom and then spray the sides with pam or bakers joy. And i run a sharp knife around the edge to make sure it is unstuck. never have a problem anymore.

luvtocreate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvtocreate Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:39am
post #12 of 26

Hi,
I recentlt started spraying the pan and then adding the parchment or wax paper. I then spray it again and on the sides. ( I spray it with olive oil in the misto sprayer and I also have used pam) I wait about 10-15 minutes and then remove the cake from the pan. I have had much success with this. Don't give up, this is a learning process and I have discovered in the short amount of time of being a member in CC that everyone here has your back and will help you when you are stuck, frustrated, etc.

I to have had many broken cakes. You are not alone. icon_smile.gif

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #13 of 26

I use homemade version of Cake Release. Mix (use mixer) equals parts of flour, shortening and oil. Store at room temperature [covered]. Brush on pan with pastry brush.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #14 of 26

Parchment is an excellent idea, but also, if you are having problems with the sides sticking, make sure you run a thin paring knife around the edges to release them from the pan, then give the pan a light wiggle to make sure it's loose before turning it out. It works like a charm! Good luck and don't give up!! You will WIN!!

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #15 of 26

I use Wilton's Bake Easy and Parchment paper ALWAYS!!!! There has been a couple of times, that I did line the pan with the parchment paper, and forgot to use the Bake Easy and I had to rebake.

Please dont quit, take a deep breath, and try parchment paper and one of the baker spray products, and I am sure you will be happy!

GOOD LUCK!!!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:42am
post #16 of 26

I use pam w/ flour here. we dont have bakers joy anywhere near and even still only one store has the pam (it costs me almost $5) but i still buy it, works great and haven't had a single cake stick

its wonderful for those 3d pans. gets in to those nooks and crannies just fine!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:46am
post #17 of 26

I use the wilton brand of flour and grease, and its amazing, my cakes never stick anymore. I too had that problem, I would get so frustrated, it only happened on the bigger cakes, and they always stuck, I greased, floured, put parchement paper in the bottom and they still stuck, I have such peace of mind now when baking, I don't have to line my pans or anything, and I never even worry about them sticking anymore, its amazing, I use to waste so much cake, you will love it, i'm sure the other brands work too.

ibteana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibteana Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:46am
post #18 of 26

Wilton Pan Release is great. Works like a charm!

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:51am
post #19 of 26

Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions. I have to go to the store tomorrow night and I will be purchasing some of the spray. I can't take the breaking cakes anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #20 of 26

I also make my own homemade cake release (equal parts of shortening, vegetable oil, and all-purpose flour) as Sandi4tpc suggested. I put mine in a "picnic" syle mustard bottle (you know, the red & yellow ones). They're easy to fill and easy to squirt into the pans.

Wilton's costs around $4. Homemade is super cheap.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:42am
post #21 of 26

What I do is... I spray the pam liberally (but not TOO liberally) with Pam (regular old fashioned, red-top Pam)... When the cake is done baking depending on how much time I have I leave it in the pan as long as I can but the cake still feels warm, but not completely cooled... Then, I take a sierated knife and glide it along the sides of the cake (this way if the sides are sticking they'll release when I flip it).. Then, flip as normal.

Once in a while I'll get the center sticking to the cake. For those times I own a "Pancake" flipper so I can take the entire piece and just flip it back onto the cake without issue.

Good luck! Don't give up, we've all been there and the other ladies have also given a great piece of advice about checking your oven to see what temp it's REALLY baking at!! My commercial oven is set just a notch over 300... I kid you not that translates into somewhere between 250 and 315 at any given moment, but I can assure you that I don't get near the doming this way that I once used to icon_lol.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:48am
post #22 of 26

I do the homemade cake release too and love it. I didn't like the way the edges got all crispy with the sprays. I always put parchment onthe bottom of all my pans and like melvira, run a paring knife around the sides before turning out.

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 26

I use the homemade cake release also. I love it and have never used anything else. I just keep it in the frig with a pastry brush and it's ready to use. Add the parchment paper and cakes nearly jump out of the pans!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 26

i agree,,,,dont quit....

use the parchment and the grease and your good to go...and as one member said...run a knife around the pan...but becareful not to cut into the cake. i have dont that while rushing.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 11:03pm
post #25 of 26

I just use eithe r crisco spray with flour or Bakers Joy..no parchment paper works for me.

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:00pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi4tpc

I use homemade version of Cake Release. Mix (use mixer) equals parts of flour, shortening and oil. Store at room temperature [covered]. Brush on pan with pastry brush.

The homemade Cake Release works like a charm and it lasts forever. The parchment also works well but do try the CR.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%