Secret To Soft Cookies

Baking By Mel1965 Updated 30 Dec 2013 , 7:53pm by Uncook

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #31 of 57

Thank you SweetConfectionsChef,
I was just wondering..... My mother always used "Parkay" and if I remember correctly, the cookies were what I call "dunker!" Have your glass of milk handy cuz they were kinda hard icon_wink.gif But she always liked everything cooked "well done."
Flavor wise, I dont think I had used Blue Bonnet, so I trust and believe you that it works great! I was just courious about needing an extra little kick of flavor. Cant wait to try them with Blue Bonnet! Hubby is gonna be away for a few days, so I have the kitchen all to myself (^.~)

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:42pm
post #32 of 57

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 butter crisco in my choc chip recipe. Then you have to watch the bake time. The cookies may not look done and cause you to put them back in the oven, then they will get too hard. You have to watch the cookies and see how long you have to bake. In my oven I bake 9 and 1/2 minutes at 370. This gives me a perfect cookies soft on the inside and crisp aroung the edge. I have no problem with the sugar cookies, they come out soft using all butter.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:49pm
post #33 of 57

ok on the topic of soft cookies. i find that mind are never done in the middle when they are in this soft stage. I have tried the cookie scoop and i have tried flattening them too. it seems when i use the cookie scoop they spread but leave a hump in teh middle that doesnt cook before the edge is brown. Any advice?

I have an oven thermometer and i watch them like a hawk.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:03pm
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

My CCC calls for a full box of pudding, the powder stuff, same thing you add to cake mix if you doctor your cakes up. What I would do is compare both recipes, yours and the one with pudding, and just make sure you add the right amount of liquids and eggs when adding the pudding. If you want I can post the recipe I use, let me know. HTH.

Would you please post your recipe? Also, does your recipe make the cookies more cake like?
Thanks!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:30pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

Now I have the Blue Bonnet jingle in my head LOL icon_smile.gif

ME TOO!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I have always used Crisco (that dreaded trans fat stuff) in my CC cookies. I have tried the new Crisco (the scarey kind we hate) and it works about the same. I have used the same recipe for 45 years. I have found that the cookie sheet makes alot of difference. I bought new ones at the restaurant supply and they bake entirely different than any I had ever owned.

I am definitely going to try the Blue Bonnet. (You know--EVERYTHING'S BETTER WITH BLUE BONNET ON IT) Now all of you can have that jingle on your mind all day. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My problem has never been not having a soft cookie as like others have said, I don't bake as long as the recipe calls for. My problem is just having enough dough to bake. My kids, grandkids, and me all would rather eat the dough than the finished product. One time one of my grandsons asked if he could have a ziplock bag of dough to take home with him. icon_lol.gif PLEASE, Don't tell me we shouldn't eat the raw eggs. I don't need a lecture on that. I would have died many years ago if it was as harmful as they say.

Diane

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:41pm
post #36 of 57

Diane i am the same way. i love cookies 10x more BEFORE they are baked. Im actually going to try to make a batch without the eggs to see if they taste the same (just so i dont have to hear MY mom saying you shouldnt eat raw eggs).

I just love cookie dough.

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:50pm
post #37 of 57

swingme83,

There is a recipe here on CC in the recipe section called Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bon Bons. It is basically a ccc without the eggs. I made them one afternoon and my husband (who also loves the dough more than the cookie) loved them. Just thought I would share.

melsherard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melsherard Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:57pm
post #38 of 57

Here is my good cookie recipe I developed over the years...

2 cups Butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar

Cream these 3 ingredients together. Then add:

4 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla

Cream together well. Then, while your KA is mixing, add 1Tbsp baking soda and 1 tsp. salt. After that is mixed in scrape the bowl well. Then gradually add 6 cups of flour and mix until it just comes together. Then I add 4 cups (or 2 12 ounce packages) of semi sweet chocolate chips.

Drop by large tablespoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes, or until they are as brown as you like them.
I usually get about 4 1/2 dozen large cookies out of this recipe.

I know you are getting a lot of recipes on here, but everyonr raves about these...

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:15pm
post #39 of 57

Here it goes, in my opinion, this makes THE BEST CCC ever!! And that white chocolate macadamia idea, yuuuuuuuum, might try that soon!

Ingredients:
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar (I've done the whole 1 1/4 of brown sugar and it is great)
3/4 c. butter or margarine, room temp (I use margarine)
2 eggs
1 - 3.4 oz pudding (I use vanilla, will try white chocolate soon)
2 tsp vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg chocolate chips (I use ghirardelli, semi sweet, milk chocolate or white)
1 c. chopped nuts (I've used pecans, will try macadamia) optional

Oven at 375. Beat sugar, brown sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Add puddig mix, vanilla, eggs. Beat 2 mins at med speed. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and stir in chips and nuts. Bake!

Hope you all like it!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingme83

ok on the topic of soft cookies. i find that mind are never done in the middle when they are in this soft stage. I have tried the cookie scoop and i have tried flattening them too. it seems when i use the cookie scoop they spread but leave a hump in teh middle that doesnt cook before the edge is brown. Any advice?

I have an oven thermometer and i watch them like a hawk.

I always use a cookie scoop. I tke mine out at the right-before-they-are-done stage. When you take the baking sheet out, bang it down when you set it down. This deflates any hump or bubble in the middle. As they set on the baking sheet, they are actually still baking from the heat from the pan (the science of baking!) .... which is the logical reason why I take them out early. So when you've banged the hump down and as it continues to bake, it bakes more evenly.

When they are baked on parchment, then allowed to set-up on the baking sheet when removed from the oven, you should be able to pick them up with your hand (no spatula needed) and they will hold their shape and still be soft cookies.

nefgaby Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #41 of 57

Ohh.. forgot to add, I bake my cookies in pampered chef stones. I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the cookies turn out Oh So Good!

Mel1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel1965 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:21pm
post #42 of 57

Thank you so much for all the great replies and advice...I never thought to add pudding to the cookie recipe..can't wait to try it. I do have to say, tho, that even tho my CCC aren't soft (they will be soon!), I do make a mean PB cookie, and this recipe uses sweetened condensed milk and biscuit mix, and of course the PB, but these are gooey and chewy and stay that way. So I have thought about at least using biscuit mix instead of regular flour....

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 8:39pm
post #43 of 57

Those recipes look great. Thanks everyone for sharing them!

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #44 of 57

I just made nefgaby's cookies. I added M&M's to them... holy cow! I now have my favorite cookie recipe! I think i'll start experimenting with pudding flavors and add in's now!

nefgaby Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:07pm
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

I just made nefgaby's cookies. I added M&M's to them... holy cow! I now have my favorite cookie recipe! I think i'll start experimenting with pudding flavors and add in's now!

I'm sooo happy you liked them! icon_biggrin.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 9:11pm
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel1965

Thank you so much for all the great replies and advice...I never thought to add pudding to the cookie recipe..can't wait to try it. I do have to say, tho, that even tho my CCC aren't soft (they will be soon!), I do make a mean PB cookie, and this recipe uses sweetened condensed milk and biscuit mix, and of course the PB, but these are gooey and chewy and stay that way. So I have thought about at least using biscuit mix instead of regular flour....

Are you making the PB cookies from the Eagle Brand cookbook? That's what I use at Xmas to make my thumb print cookies and ones with candy kisses. They are great!

I have never used pudding in my cookies either but now I will have to try it. Using the white chocolate pudding sounds yummy in CCC.

Diane

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:52pm
post #47 of 57

I tried the 'chewy' version of the CCC on Alton Brown's website last night. I'm glad I did - they were delicious! I did not have any bread flour on hand, so I used all purpose and we all thought they tasted incredible. Melting the butter first was different - the dough was almost like eating melted caramel. I am a chocolate lover, but I would probably reduce the choc chips next time because the cookie itself was really, really tasty. It's worth trying - they're definitely very, very, chewy!!!

candae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candae Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:18pm
post #48 of 57

I tried the CCC recipe by Nefgaby and they turned out great! I made them about a week ago, but not with blue bonnet and they were cakey. This time I used blue bonnet and there was a big difference. I made the white choc macadamia nut, with white choc pudding . Thanks Nefgaby

nefgaby Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by candae

I tried the CCC recipe by Nefgaby and they turned out great! I made them about a week ago, but not with blue bonnet and they were cakey. This time I used blue bonnet and there was a big difference. I made the white choc macadamia nut, with white choc pudding . Thanks Nefgaby

Hi Candae, I'm so happy you liked time!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Thanks for keeping me posted!

I also posted the recipe on CC for everyone to have... thumbs_up.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm
post #50 of 57

I thought you'd find this funny. I made a double batch of the dough and made Chocolate chip M&M. I sent a couple dozen to work with my DH so I wouldnt eat them all. I ended up eating the dough. LOL The DH can home from work and told me that one of the guys he works with wanted to know if I wanted a new husband. He'd come marry me just for more cookies.

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:52pm
post #51 of 57

Thanks for this info.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:02pm
post #52 of 57

everything IS better with blue bonnet on it!

i guess the secret is out!....i think it has more buttery flavor than real butter...(if that makes sense).

when i was testing icing recipes, none of the things i used ...including land o lakes butter, had a better taste....i i WAS a die hard butter fan.

slamming the pan down after you take it out of the oven like indy said really does help the texture...

HEY INDY YOU NEED TO WRITE A BOOK....then you could retire from cooking.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:23am
post #53 of 57

I use "I can't believe its not butter" margarine to make ccc and they are great!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 6:57am
post #54 of 57

madgeowens, I also love and use "I can't believe it's not butter", it has the best buttery taste not to be butter. LOL, got a funny story about this... when this stuff first came out, we had a friend of DH's who came for supper. He put some of this on his food and took a bite and said "Man this stuff is good what kind of butter is it? I said "I can't believe it's not butter", he said I can't neither but what kind is it? My DH & I laugh so hard while he looked at us like we were crazy. I had to go get the tub and show him, he got a little icon_redface.gif and then blasted out laughing.

I also do as Indy & the others, do the touch thing and then take out of the oven a little early and leave them on the pan, been doing them that way for over 30 some years and it has work for me.

God Bless,
Sharon

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:27am
post #55 of 57

I have also found that if you mix them too long or over bake them they will not be soft. I give people my recipe all the time, and they come back and say they can't make them like mine. It is so funny because its on the bag. I use crushed walnuts in mine also.

JoMarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarcia Posted 11 Dec 2013 , 12:39pm
post #56 of 57

I find that using cake flour, butter flavored shortening instead of butter and using baking powder instead of baking soda are changes that I have made that work. I also struggled to find that perfect soft  cookie but after these changes I always get a soft cookie.  Use parchment paper instead of greasing your pan. That will help.

If using both white and brown sugar, I use more of the brown sugar.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Uncook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uncook Posted 30 Dec 2013 , 7:53pm
post #57 of 57

I wish that in the package Nestlé's Tollhouse it would recommend all your recommending.. cake flour, butter flavored shortening, everyone at work makes great cookies and I can't believe It's that difficult! I'm a cookie monster so i'll have to keep trying. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%