So, Dogs Really Do Like Cake Huh?

Decorating By treys_girl04 Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 7:29am by bohemia

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 1:45pm
post #31 of 51

I just had to jump in and share my story.

I have a shepard-husky mix. She is the queen of the house. I cooked two 8 in spice cakes for my husband(his favorite). I left them on the counter to cool, ran out to do a few errands, never thinking the dog would eat the cake.

Two hours later came home and one of my cakes is missing and there were crumbs all over the kitchen floor! "what the ....!" icon_confused.gif

I would have expected her to eat meat off the counter which she never has but not my cakes!

I guess my dog has a sweet tooth. icon_razz.gif

treys_girl04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treys_girl04 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:19pm
post #32 of 51

the dog who commited this offense if a 1 yr old weenie dog we got recently. i had the cake in a position that my big dog could not reach, but didnt realize that the little one could use the chair to get on the table! dog seems okay, he vomited that night once, and was constipated on wed, but seems to be back to normal now.

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 3:58pm
post #33 of 51

The little fat terrier I had growing up used the chair too. My mom had just baked a loaf of bread and left it on the kitchen table to cool while we went out for a bit. Never did it occur to us that she would be able to get to it. We came home and the whole loaf of bread was gone. The dog was waddling around the house with a rectangle shaped belly! Needless to say, that was the last time we left anything on the table.

-Lisa

Mslou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mslou Posted 27 Oct 2006 , 4:06pm
post #34 of 51

I had made 12 gumpaste Peonies for a cake and left them on wires stuck in styro to dry on my cabinet. My daughters dog came in my house and ate all 12 peonies. The only thing I found were the wires. Those flowers took me 2 days to make. The dog had an upset tummy for days.

Jenn1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn1978 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:15am
post #35 of 51

this post has me cracking up although I am sorry about your cake! I had a very similar experience when I was much younger and just learing how to decorate cakes. I had a very large pregnant yellow lab who was very well behaved! She had never taken anything off the table. Well my mom had surgery so I had used my new decorating skills and baked her a chocolate sheet cake and decorated it. We later left to go get my mom and bring her home. I was so excited to show her this cake that I had worked so hard on. We opened the door looked over at the table and found the whole cake gone!!!!!!!!!!! I started crying! The poor dog was over laying on the kitchen floor with this look on her face like "what have I done!" Not sure if she was upset that she ate my cake and felt bad or if she felt sick to her stomach! I wasn't laughing back then, it's funny to me now though!

I now have a 95 lb black lab and I think he is just to lazy to attempt to jump up and get to my cakes. He just comes into the kitchen and licks the floor clean. He loves when I make frosting!

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:22am
post #36 of 51

i once made a red velvet four tier wedding cake, while the layers were cooling, my dog manage to scarfe down abour four layers and then went a puked bright red on our beige carpet!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 3:48am
post #37 of 51

Why do they always know where to puke?... on the carpet!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:46am
post #38 of 51

I've been worried that this would happen to me....not yet.

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 12:57pm
post #39 of 51

I'm really sorry to hear about your cake!! Hopefully you had time to redue it.... I have a 1 1/2yr old 50lb black lab/dalmation mix . Daisy is NOT allowed in the kitchen!! We have baby gates up all over the place as she likes to be nosey!!! The only bad thing she's done recently is get the box of q-tips off the table and strew them all over the dining room!!! (i think she had help with that) I have two cats who love to play w/q-tips and i think they knocked the box on the floor to see if the dog would get in trouble!!!! Of course we did put daisy to blame!!!! LOL Dang animals!!!! wouldn't trade them for the world!!

sweetdreams06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdreams06 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 1:15pm
post #40 of 51

I have 2 cats, the older one Gigi is a princess and is above all this nonsense. Birdie on the other hand is full of mischeif so I have always kept a close eye on her while cooking/baking. I had a cake cooling on the counter and turned my back for a minute and when I turned back around there was Gigi licking my cake. I was upset certainly upset about having to do this cake over, then I thought OMG - I've been watching Birdie all this time! How many cakes have we eaten that have been licked by Gigi? Needless to say this is sort of true confession right now because I never told my husband. He would be so grossed out he might never eat anything I cooked again! I did learn a lesson, now both kitties get locked up when mom is baking.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:31pm
post #41 of 51

I have 2 small dogs-one is a Jack Russell and the other is a mixed dog we got from a friend. The mixed dog, Duke, is the worst. He is always climbing on the chair to get to the table. Today I was making some chrysanthemums on the table and got up to wash my decorating bags. I took 1 of them to the sink, washed it, and started looking for the other one
and couldn't figure out where it went. I asked the kids if they had gotten it
and they said no, so the thought came into my mind "dogs". I looked around and saw Duke under the coffee table licking the bag icon_surprised.gif I yelled at him and got it back. Thank goodness there wern't any holes! I had to watch really close the other day as 2 cakes were sitting on the table ready
to be iced, and Daisy, my Jack Russell, was jumping onto the chair and trying to get the cake. I called her name and she got down, but she tried 2-3 times to get it. I am lucky she didn't get it. No cakes have been eaten yet, but don't speak too soon!! icon_wink.gif

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:16am
post #42 of 51

OMG...I am so sorry that this happened to yall...but i must tell yall that i read this all the way through and i was laughing so bad at points that i had tears in my eyes..i know its not funny at the time but its one of them things that you can look back on and get a really good laugh out of.
and you know what the great thing is...i really needed a good laugh tonight...its been a rough couple of baking days..
Thanks for sharing yall...icon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:25am
post #43 of 51

Best thread ever, and I know I needed it!!!
I have a Corgi and when I'm baking/decorating he's laying across the room watching every move. When I get my cake leveler out, he moves a little closer. Then, of coarse, I put some cake in his bowl. Then when the mixer for the icing is going, he moves a bit closer. Then gets to have some icing.
I no longer use a short table to decorate tops of cakes - yep, nose went right in the side of a cake one night!
What a great book we would have if we could somehow have pictures of all these moments!

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:48am
post #44 of 51

It seems that many of us have opportunistic (is that a real word?) cake thieves. I have two Irish wolfhounds, one of which once ate half a chocolate cake I'd left to cool, but her worst offence was eating some sugarpaste lillies I'd struggled and struggled over. I couldn't believe it when I found the wires on the floor, she had somehow let herself into the spare room, taken off the cardboard box lid and eaten the lot. I was sure I'd closed the spare room door when I'd gone to bed - apparently not! icon_surprised.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 4:59am
post #45 of 51

My husband just put up a screen door on my kitchen today. No more animals in the kitchen!!!!!! My cakes are safe!! Now what to do about the teenagers and DH!!! lol

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 3:28am
post #46 of 51

sounds like something that would happen to me so sorry

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 1 Nov 2006 , 3:50am
post #47 of 51

Awwww your cake was so cute...don't you just love our 4 legged family members? My daughter was getting her wedding favors for her wedding last weekend ready and left them in the plastic bin with everything else to take to church. We came home and this darling little pound puppy had open the bin and gotten into the hersehy kisses and hugs. Funny his name is Karob (organic chocolate)..pretty fitting, huh?
LL

dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 8:03pm
post #48 of 51

Mine snatched a pound of butter off of the counter that was softening for frosting....ate 1 stick and hid another in the living room couch...which we found 2 days later.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #49 of 51

Yep, sounds like a lot of us have canine cake lovers! Our giant schnauzer puppy has eaten innumerable cakes, cookies - you name it. No matter how high or far back I put them, Morpheus manages to get his share. Then, about a month ago, he ate my last pound of butter that was softening on the back of the counter - he had icky diarrhea for days! A few months earlier, he snagged 2 hard boiled eggs that I was ready to put on a salad and ate them, shells and all - wooheee, did he ever stink when they came out the other end! The same week the schnauzer ate the butter, our chocolate Siberian husky ate (welll, mostly licked it in good!) a chocolate cake mix; that's darn hard to get out of the carpet in at least four rooms! And she has also eaten a tube of Wilton red icing and a bag of orange candy melts...I should buy stock in a carpet cleaning business! But I wouldn't want to be without any of them, dogs or cats. They make a house a home! PAT

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 8:35pm
post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

I'm really sorry to hear about your cake!! Hopefully you had time to redue it.... I have a 1 1/2yr old 50lb black lab/dalmation mix . Daisy is NOT allowed in the kitchen!! We have baby gates up all over the place as she likes to be nosey!!! The only bad thing she's done recently is get the box of q-tips off the table and strew them all over the dining room!!! (i think she had help with that) I have two cats who love to play w/q-tips and i think they knocked the box on the floor to see if the dog would get in trouble!!!! Of course we did put daisy to blame!!!! LOL Dang animals!!!! wouldn't trade them for the world!!

That reminds me of.....
"We are siamese if you please.....we are siamese if you don't please...." (Lady and the tramp)

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:29am
post #51 of 51

I have this one pink and purple cake that has a border made of 3/4 inch hand-molded bees in my photos. I made 70 pieces of and left them to dry in the guest room. I closed the door but when I went to check on them, the stick that were holding them level were on the floor. Our 4 year old Retreiver Chelsea had eaten 50 of them. He puked out the wires from the antennas the next day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%