My Finished Doghouse Cake!! What Would U Charge?

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 28 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm by Sarsi

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #1 of 19

Well, I finished the dog house cake...I wasnt very happy with the fondant doghouse, but thankfully this is for my little sister, so she'll be forgiving, plus I still think she'll be thrilled!! icon_biggrin.gif I learned my lesson!! I'm now ALWAYS going to use gumpaste with my fondant!! Thanks for all your help, fellow cc'ers!!

Just out of curiosity, what would you charge for a cake like this. I hand molded the dog...all the flowers are fondant. The dog face was stenciled on with Royal icing...Size is 3-8 layers, and 2 tall 6 layers. Chocolate with Raspberry filling..

The dog is suppose to look somewhat like the American Girl dog, Coconut..Which is what my sister is obsessed with right now icon_lol.gif

Thanks everyone!!
LL

18 replies
dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:48am
post #2 of 19

I don't have any idea wha to charge. But wanted to say what a great cake you made!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:01am
post #3 of 19

I wouldn't let it go for less than $75. Great looking cake!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:01am
post #4 of 19

Your doghouse turned out adorable! Based on my pricing, I would probably charge about $125 for this cake. I think I'm on the low side compared to many others here, though. It really depends on your area. My pricing is more than most bakeries charge for party cakes and less than what they charge for wedding cakes.

purplebutterfly1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:04am
post #5 of 19

Awww. That is so cute!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:13am
post #6 of 19

This cake is just adorable!! I think I would charge around $100. I don't know if I would get it since I've never made this kind of a cake for anyone here, but I wouldn't quote any less!

Kathi

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:13am
post #7 of 19

Your doghouse is adorable.Well done

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 19

I recognized Coconut right away! How adorable!

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 19

Very cute cake. Based on my price list, I would charge about $100 for this!

Pumkinwaffles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pumkinwaffles Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 19

That is so darn adorable!!!

Happy Baking and deocorating,

Alicia

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:18am
post #11 of 19

Awe, how sweet. That is so adorable. Great job!

Kat

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 5:52am
post #12 of 19

I think I would have charged $100. It is adorable, by the way.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:43am
post #13 of 19

i would probably charge around $60.00 to $75.00. that is a beautiful cake by the way! icon_lol.gif

Sarsi Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks everyone!! Now I know in advance if anyone asks about it, how much to charge!! I joked around with my parents that they owe me $100... icon_biggrin.gif You should've seen the look my lil sisters face when she first saw the cake...she stared and stared in disbelief! It was so great!!! She was so protective of it! If any kids got their fingers to close, she got after them! LOL...The reaction from little kids makes it all worth all the work!!!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #15 of 19

I don't know what I would charge - but it would be ALOT. This cake is too cute and every detail is just perfect!

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 19

Great cake! It's obvious that a lot of work and love went into the creation of it!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #17 of 19

Wow, that is awesome work!

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #18 of 19

I'd charge somewhere around $100 for this cake. This is the most adorable thing i've ever seen! You did fabulous!

Sarsi Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #19 of 19

well I'm so glad all you like it so much! I got a little fried with my sister. First off she was sooo thrilled and she loved it to death, and then she tried picking out everything that was wrong with it. I was like, girl, if you dont want a $100 birthday cake (for free) because it has a few imperfections, I'm sure someother little girl would LOVE it!! I held my tounge that time...then she looked at the dog house for awhile and said "why are all the butterflies the same? They're all the same shape"...How many shapes can you paint butterflies?? They were looking from the side and like you were looking down at their backs... so finally I said "Well, could you do any better?", she said "no"...so I got real snotty and said, "than quit complaining!"...She shut up and walked off. I mean, sheepers!! It just made me frustrated. Sorry! It just fried me that I spent over 16 hours on this thing, and she tried picking it apart. Its not like anyone even paid for it!! Oh well. She was still quite happy with it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%