Any Ideas How To Keep Fingers Out Of Cake When Stacking??

Decorating By mocakes Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm by fuzzykoala22

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 22

Does anyone out there have any brilliant ideas about how to keep finger marks to a minimum when stacking tiers???? icon_confused.gif

No matter how hard I try...I mess up the icing somewhere on the cake trying to stack!! I was just curious, with all the genius minds out there, what you all do!

Any tips I should know about???? detective.gif

21 replies
brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #2 of 22

Ohhhh, I am going to be of no help here.... but I can give you a bump!

BUMP!!!

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #3 of 22

I would like to knwo also...................... My cake looked like my 2 yr old got ahold of it.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:03am
post #4 of 22

When icing the cake, I put it on something that is smaller in diameter than the cake itself and that is tall enough to get my fingers under (not too tall, because if the cake falls off, you'll have problems). This way when the cake is iced, i have room to slip my hands under to move it. Usually I use folded non-skid cabinet liner.

Then to stack it without a mess, don't push the dowels all the way into the tier below. Leave them sticking out about an inch above the icing. That way when you go to stack the next tier, you have room to get your fingers out of the way. Just lower, let go, and the weight of the cake will push the dowels down.

Hope this helps

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 22

It's not a perfect fix and I still muss it a lil but I use one of my small angled icing spatulas to hold the edge while I slide my fingers out. I'd love some more imput on this one as well though!

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:07am
post #6 of 22

Good advise Sun33082. I have heard of this before and I always forget to do that when I am putting the dowels in.

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:07am
post #7 of 22

I love the dowel idea, i had never thought of that

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #8 of 22

I do the same as sun33082 with the dowels. It also helps to refrigerate the cake so the icing is firm.

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:09am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

Then to stack it without a mess, don't push the dowels all the way into the tier below. Leave them sticking out about an inch above the icing. That way when you go to stack the next tier, you have room to get your fingers out of the way. Just lower, let go, and the weight of the cake will push the dowels down.

HOW SMART ARE YOU THIS IS PERFACT AND I WILL BE TRYING THIS ON MY NEXT CAKE. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:11am
post #10 of 22

Thanks mjulian, but all the credit goes to CC. That's where I learned it.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:12am
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

It's not a perfect fix and I still muss it a lil but I use one of my small angled icing spatulas to hold the edge while I slide my fingers out. I'd love some more imput on this one as well though!

i do something similar to this also

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:12am
post #12 of 22

The dowels must be cut and inserted all the way down to the cake board first. Then, using tweezers, pull them all back up about 1 1/2". Place the top tier on the cake layer with the dowels sticking up, and then gently "drop and move your fingers" quickly. By pushing the dowels all the way down and then pulling back out before you place the cake, you have already tamped down the cake under the dowel rods. If you only push the dowels so far in initially, you run the chance of your dowels not going all the way down to the cake board when you place the top cake on. This method is wonderful for never having those "finger marks" on your cake. Good Luck!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:21am
post #13 of 22

OMG the dowel trick sounds great! I'm tryin' it!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:26am
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycakes2

The dowels must be cut and inserted all the way down to the cake board first. Then, using tweezers, pull them all back up about 1 1/2". Place the top tier on the cake layer with the dowels sticking up, and then gently "drop and move your fingers" quickly. By pushing the dowels all the way down and then pulling back out before you place the cake, you have already tamped down the cake under the dowel rods. If you only push the dowels so far in initially, you run the chance of your dowels not going all the way down to the cake board when you place the top cake on. This method is wonderful for never having those "finger marks" on your cake. Good Luck!

Thank you! I tried the dowel thing and it didn't work. Now I see it's because I didn't push them in then pull back up. I just left them sticking up a bit and it wasn't enough force to push them down.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:27am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycakes2

i agree.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #16 of 22

I knew I could count on you guys!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Great suggestions!!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:56pm
post #17 of 22

Im kinda confused (not hard to do) can you push them about 1/2 way through so the cake doesn't slam upon the other cake? I am trying to envision this icon_biggrin.gif

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:01pm
post #18 of 22

This is the same way i stack my cakes when i use wooden dowels

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Im kinda confused (not hard to do) can you push them about 1/2 way through so the cake doesn't slam upon the other cake? I am trying to envision this icon_biggrin.gif

yes. push them all the way down, then pull them up halfway to set the cake up on. the cakes weight will push them back in, but it'll give you a few seconds to remove your hands. if you pull them up too high though, you risk the dowels tilting, which could eventually give way and cause your tier to tilt.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:03pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks Melysa!!!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:12pm
post #21 of 22

Great advise! I can't wait to make another tiered cake to try this method out icon_lol.gif

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:36pm
post #22 of 22

The dowel trick is such a clever idea! I love Cake Central icon_biggrin.gif In a few weeks I'll be doing my first ever stacked wedding cake, and I'll DEFINITELY be doing that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%