Favorite Wedding Cake Techniques

Decorating By melysa Updated 25 Oct 2006 , 9:12am by Briarview

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:34am
post #1 of 3

making a wedding cake in a few months. i've been given artistic license with a general idea of what the bride wants. problem is, as i am learning more, i keep changing my mind and cant make decisions! she needs 150+ svgs, squares, cala lillies, pale yellow, sage green, maybe pearls, contemporary swirls, dots etc OR asian but not the cherry blossoms. i've thought of fondant (dare i? just started out-)with the illusion calla lilly stems separating the bottom tiers from the top. i wish she'd be more clear as to exactly what she wants because it makes me insane trying to determine what to do. i have till early march to practice. what are some of your absolute favorite techniques for wedding cakes that are tried and true awesome? has anyone ever made their own stands rather than fork out the cash for the expensive ones out there? i'm thinking the acrylic tiered tubes/plates to do the stem illusion.

2 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:44am
post #2 of 3

I haven't done a wedding cake myself, but Lazy_Susan made a Calla Lily Illusion cake not to long ago and it's amazing! She also posted very clear instructions on how to do it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-44743-calla.html+lily

HTH icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:12am
post #3 of 3

Hi Melysa,
I have made the Stems Illusion cake and I had the bottom two layers stacked and the I just had a small plastic container the right height and covered it by sticking dowels around it then covering that with green fondant to look like stems. I made the Calla Lilies out of fondant and inserted them into posy flower picks giving the illusion they were coming right through the cake. I notice other versions with the layers separated but think there is more support with the stacked cakes. Have a look on my site on the homepage and it is also in the Wedding cake page. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%