What Would You Charge?

Decorating By Petey Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 3:03pm by mgdqueen

Petey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petey Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

I have made numerous cakes. None that I have charged for because they were made for family as gifts. This cake I am charging for. What would you charge for it? It is a two layer 8x8 with buttercream. The figurines are made of gumpaste and Starburst and the whole thing took me 24 hours to make. See my photos for more closeup shots of figureines. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
LL

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:40am
post #2 of 7

Hopefully, your customer already knows the price. Never assume the buyer understands how much work is involved with decorating a cake.

That said, pricing can start with the number of servings. 8x8 would typically serve about 32 1"x2" servings. That would but the starting price at about $32. adding for the cost of characters would be up to you.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:51am
post #3 of 7

I personally would charge (now don't get all mad ladies cause this is what MY market will bear) 3 bucks a serving. So if it serves 32 then 32x3 would be 96 bucks. with all that fondant n candy on there you bet i would charge that.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:29am
post #4 of 7

That cake was alot of work. I would charge about the equivalent of 250 USD.

Petey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petey Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all your input. This cake was made for my grandmother who is turning 90. My dad wants to give me money for it. Of course I'm not going to charge anything near what it should be worth, but knowing what others would charge or pay for it really helps me figure out what to charge for cake similar to it in the future. I love challenging, detailed work. Thank you for your nice comments and informative input!

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 7

Petey I love that cake! You did a phenomenal job on your details and I would expect to pay more than $32.00 as a baseline....and I would happily pay more!
It is a beautiful cake! (I live in a small town and even in a small town you would charge more!!!!)

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 7

Petey-your detail work is incredible! I especially love the ants and the fact that they have little strawberry bits falling from their "hands". I think this cake is just terrific-I wish you were entering it in a competition. That being said, I would even charge $3/serving for it and I'm notoriously getting kicked for not charging enough!

I'm glad this is for your grandmother because she (and your family) will most definitely appreciate it more than others would, and will hopefully give you all the glorious praise you deserve! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%