Cake Camps In Mo Area

Decorating By FoodGirl Updated 7 Jan 2007 , 3:41pm by FoodGirl

FoodGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FoodGirl Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:29am
post #1 of 9

Hi to everyone,

I am 16 year old and would love to get in the cake business. I was wanting to know if their are any good cake class in my area. I am from MO.Would love any info you can give me.
Thanks,
FoodGirl icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 9

Where in Missouri are you?

Hobby Lobby teaches Wilton classes in fact have a 1/2 off offer for classes this weeks Michaels in some town also teaches Wilton Classes
In Columbia Pholmans cake and candy teaches classes and she is fantastic. Do you have a local cake bakery and supply store? ask there if they know where you can take classes... Or there is always the Wilton corespondence course I think they still have this .. The supplies are in the kit and you teach yourself That is what I did years ago.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 9

In the St. Louis area, I know you've got Hobby Lobby and Michael's too, as well as a store called Sallie's on Manchester Rd. and then you can also take some at the community college. I am sure there are other places, too.

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 9

I''m currently in course 2 at Michael's and I didn't know about Hobby Lobby or the Sallies on Manchester. Thanks for that info! I was also told by a local cake supplier that the community college also offers on occasion continuing education classes on cake decorating but she didn't think it was any more involved than the Wilton classes. There's someplace off Brentwood that called Viking... but it sounds more like a Viking dealership that wants you to tryout their ovens and ranges to buy one but they do classes. That's all I know about them from their website. There was one other one I found on the web, but sorry I can't remember their name. I'll try and find it and post it but they to didn't offer anything other than what is taught in the Wilton classes. I am presuming that the Hobby Lobby classes are similar to the Michael's ones. What is the Sallies on Manchester??? I'll be looking them up.

Keep posting if there are any more.

- Paula

PS - FYI - Currently Michael's offers the Course 1, 2, and 3 and an Elegant Fondant class at some... our instructor told us that coming in February next year will be a Course 4!

ckkerber Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlalohagal

I''m currently in course 2 at Michael's and I didn't know about Hobby Lobby or the Sallies on Manchester. Thanks for that info! I was also told by a local cake supplier that the community college also offers on occasion continuing education classes on cake decorating but she didn't think it was any more involved than the Wilton classes. There's someplace off Brentwood that called Viking... but it sounds more like a Viking dealership that wants you to tryout their ovens and ranges to buy one but they do classes. That's all I know about them from their website. There was one other one I found on the web, but sorry I can't remember their name. I'll try and find it and post it but they to didn't offer anything other than what is taught in the Wilton classes. I am presuming that the Hobby Lobby classes are similar to the Michael's ones. What is the Sallies on Manchester??? I'll be looking them up.

Keep posting if there are any more.

- Paula

PS - FYI - Currently Michael's offers the Course 1, 2, and 3 and an Elegant Fondant class at some... our instructor told us that coming in February next year will be a Course 4!

Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Sallie's all offer the Wilton classes so they're primarily the same. They'll differ a bit as each teacher tends to have their own style but they follow the same guidelines. Sallie's has a lot of other offerings, too, from cookies and chocolate classes to fondant and gumpaste. They always have a couple of classes going on and tend to also do special holiday related ones (Halloween, Christmas, etc...). It's worth it to call them and get their current schedule. They do have a small room for classes and tend to fill up quickly, though. I took all three Wilton classes there and really enjoyed it. Sallie's is on Manchester just West of 141 . . . it's a small brick building that you really have to be looking for or you'll miss it. They're a cake supply store so you can get most of your cake stuff there (I like to go there over Michael's and Hobby Lobby a lot of times because they offer a much wider selection). There is also a cake store a bit further south called Karen Anne's -- I have no idea if they offer classes but they've got as good a selection of cake stuff as Sallie's does.

I have never taken classes at the Viking store but I know people who have taken cooking classes there and they do have really good classes. I think they're known for their classes in addition to their product line. If they offer cake classes there, it may be worth looking into. There's a place further down on Clayton off of Brentwood called The Kitchen Conservatory that has awesome classes, as well, but they don't have a lot of cake decorating ones. They occasionally have a basic class . . . what I like there besides their cooking classes are their pastry and dessert classes. They have some that are hands on (more expensive) and others that are more of a demonstration. But they always feed you what they make!

I did take a basic cookie decorating class at Kitchen conservatory and really enjoyed it.

stlalohagal Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks ckkerber!
I'll definatly give Sallies a call. Karen Ann's is where I just was Monday and no they do not offer classes but they were VERY friendly and helpful with things.

It's good to see a fellow STL person posting. While everyone here is just great it's good to know that you've got folks in your own back yard so to speak. I love Cake Central! I'm totally an adict.

By the way,... how do you do that 'quote' box in you reply? I can't figure that out yet along with how do you get your location to show up. I thought I put that in when I registered but I'm still MIA when I post.

Thanks for the help!

- Paula

ckkerber Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlalohagal

Thanks ckkerber!
I'll definatly give Sallies a call. Karen Ann's is where I just was Monday and no they do not offer classes but they were VERY friendly and helpful with things.

It's good to see a fellow STL person posting. While everyone here is just great it's good to know that you've got folks in your own back yard so to speak. I love Cake Central! I'm totally an adict.

By the way,... how do you do that 'quote' box in you reply? I can't figure that out yet along with how do you get your location to show up. I thought I put that in when I registered but I'm still MIA when I post.

Thanks for the help!

- Paula

Paula,

Where do you live in St. Louis? How long have you been doing cakes? I'm in the Ballwin area and just got into decorating this past March.

There are a few St. Louis cake addicts here. When you have the time to read through it, check out the post, "Missouri Cake Club??" at this link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35599&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

As far as getting the quote box, I just clicked on the quote box on your message, and it brings up POST A REPLY and has your message there. I scrolled down to the end of your message and put my reply after yours. Let me know if it doesn't work.

As far as the location, I have that in MY FORUM INFO . . . double check yours (in the pink "My Account" box to the left on your screen) to see if yours is listed.

It's always good to talk to a fellow addict!

Carol

stlalohagal Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 5:26am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkerber

Where do you live in St. Louis? How long have you been doing cakes? I'm in the Ballwin area and just got into decorating this past March.

There are a few St. Louis cake addicts here. When you have the time to read through it, check out the post, "Missouri Cake Club??" at this link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35599&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

As far as getting the quote box, I just clicked on the quote box on your message, and it brings up POST A REPLY and has your message there. I scrolled down to the end of your message and put my reply after yours. Let me know if it doesn't work.

As far as the location, I have that in MY FORUM INFO . . . double check yours (in the pink "My Account" box to the left on your screen) to see if yours is listed.

It's always good to talk to a fellow addict!

Carol

I hope that worked? (to include the quote.. )

Anyway, I am in Jefferson County, Arnold/Fenton to be more exact. I'm going to read more on the link you sent tomorrow, as of right now it's 12:21 AM. I got home from my Course 2 class 3 tonight and had to do up some of my flowers for the finale Basket cake next week. I've got a busy week ahead, a 1/2 sheet cake for church on Friday, a regular cake for a community dinner related to church for next wednesday, bake my class cake, and do my nephew's birthday cake by the 4th. icon_smile.gif Whew! I'm off to bed...

Thanks for the link. I'll write again tomorrow when I get a breather!

- Paula

PS Sorry forgot to answer your question. I just took course 1 in September. I've been doing my own cakes for my family for a couple of years. Nothing big, you can check out my photos... there's only a few more than that but I didn't post everything. The classes are something I've wanted to take since before Michaels was Michael's, do you remember Leewards? I just found out too that there is a Course 4 coming in February! TTYL!

FoodGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FoodGirl Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for all these suggestions. Someone inquired where I was located.
I live almost two hours south of St Louis Airport and north of Memphis airport.

Would love to even find someone that would be willing for me to work with them privately.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%