Tip For Fbct (Frozen Buttercream Tansfer)

Decorating By beetle1948 Updated 10 Aug 2013 , 11:04pm by luciescakes

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 11:08am
post #1 of 28

When I done my first FBCT it did come out very good (which I had no idea what the heck a FBCT until CC) but the only then I didn,t like was
not being able to see what it was going to like like until I put it on my cake. So now when I do one I do it on a piece of plexiglas. I tape wax paper on one side and my design on the other.So now I can pick up the plexiglass untape one side of my design and see how its going to look.I hope this tip helps. I would like to say onething about CC the people on here are so great .If you have a problem , a question or a tip this is the place. I think our goverment needs a website like this thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gif

27 replies
berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 11:45am
post #2 of 28

I do the same thing and it really helps to know if you are getting the colors filled in right. I don't use wax paper though, I use a clear plastic wrap and so I can see EVERYTHING. I put the picture in a sheet protector taped to the plexiglass and then I can remove the picture from the sleeve and put it back exactly where it was before without worrying about things shifting.

Melissa

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 28

good tips! I have just tried FBCT's, AND I LOVE THEM!!!!! What a great tool to have! I used to do a lot of color flow plaques, but the FBCT are another GREAT option!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 28

After I finish I always place a piece of wax paper on the back and untape the front wax paper and flip it over so I can see the front of it. icon_smile.gif

MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks for the tips : ) I love to do these.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 28

When I used the plastic wrap on plexiglass, the plastic stuck like crazy to the plexi after freezing. How do you get it to release?

Sierratreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sierratreasures Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 28

When filling in the transfer. Do you make like lines and it smushes together when you smooth out the back? I am going to try this for the first time but I need all the information that I can get.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 28

Yes, pipe the lines first. Then begin filling i what would be in the foreground first. For example, for an eye you would do the iris first, and then the white eyeball. Since the iris is already next to the plastic or wax paper you can fill in the whole white right over the already piped iris. Keep your tip buried, icing a little thin and make sure there are no gaps. I used the plexiglass so I could look at it from underneath and then go back and fill in any tight areas that I'd missed. Tapping lightly on the underside of the plexi with your hand helps to "seat" the icing. My very first FBCT is the graduate in my photos, and he turned out very nicely. You can do it!!

TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierratreasures

When filling in the transfer. Do you make like lines and it smushes together when you smooth out the back? I am going to try this for the first time but I need all the information that I can get.

After I have outlined, when I go to fill in the colors, I have found that it really helps to keep your tip buried in the icing as you are piping. If you pipe in lines you will have the wormy affect on the top of the transfer you will have to smooth out. If you try to keep your tip buried in the icing as you pipe you don't have as many distinct lines to fix after.

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 28

I have troble getting mine to release and stay hard enough to remove. Whats a good tip? When yours are frozen are they hard like ice?

Sierratreasures Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 28

Thank you so much I think that I am going to try it. I found this site and it is so wonderful. I am getting to learn different things that I didn't know before. I have been decorating for 8 and half years and some of this stuff I am in awe. Now with the help of CC I know that I can learn a whole lot more. So thank you all. I love this site!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrahmomof3

I have troble getting mine to release and stay hard enough to remove. Whats a good tip? When yours are frozen are they hard like ice?

You may be doing the transfer too thin. They are going to freeze rock hard and they thaw extremely fast. As soon as you pull it out of the freezer you have to put it on the cake and pull off the backing right away.

Sierratreasures Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 28

Does the buttercreme need to be stiff or do you have to thin it to fill it in?

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrahmomof3

You may be doing the transfer too thin. They are going to freeze rock hard and they thaw extremely fast. As soon as you pull it out of the freezer you have to put it on the cake and pull off the backing right away.

Do you mean thin as in icing consistancy or as in thickness of the transfer?

TexasSugar Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierratreasures

Does the buttercreme need to be stiff or do you have to thin it to fill it in?

I use a soft medium when doing mine. If your icing is too thin it sticks more, and if it is too stiff it will be harder to pipe with.

Sierratreasures Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:00am
post #16 of 28

Okay I will make my icing as I usually do. I use like a medium concistancy. I know that for the actual outline it needs to be a little stiffer but not to stiff. Wish me luck I will post pictures of the finished results.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #17 of 28

Don't use plastic wrap for a FBCT. I've found it causes more lines than you want to deal with. Use parchment paper. It is worth the buy because not only does it release nicely from the plexiglass/board, you can see through it.

I like to use Duncan Hines chocolate or dark chocolate for my outlines. It is precolored, things look fine outlined in brown, and it's stiff enough to resist pressure from the fill-in icing. I out line all at once and then let it sit for 15 minutes to harden slightly.

My fill-in icing is softer in consistancy than the DH icing, but not runny. I like to use a non-crusting BC for filling in, it will work with crusting, but there are less lines with the non crusting.

Plexiglass is THE BOMB when making a FBCT. After you fill-in and cover the top and edges of the design with the background color, remove the coloring sheet. Take an off-set spatula and push and smooth. Lift up the plexiglass and look at the design. Still some lines? Press and smooth that area, look again... Fine? Fill in the back hollow created by pressing with more background icing. Still lines? Keep pushing until they're gone. You may have to add more background icing as you push.

I completely freeze my FBCT. In fact, I usually make it the day before the cake is due and let it freeze over night. Then you can easily handle it to place it correctly on the cake. If you have any little cracks or breakages, place your transfer and then wait for it to thaw. You can smooth it back in as needed. If you kept your colors from the day before (recomended) you can use them to fix any little mistakes that may happen.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:03am
post #18 of 28

Thanks for the great tips, I will definitely try the DH frosting. My tip is that I usually copy my coloring page onto a transparency which helps a lot if you need it to face in a specific direction because you can pipe on either side.

Also I bought baby snack cups from Dollar Tree (in the baby aisle), 6 cups w/lids in a pack which are the perfect size for storing/freezing small amouts of icing. I can fit several in a large ziploc freezer bag.

Question for those who use DH frosting, can you freeze it and use it later, or do you use a new can for each fbct that you do?

SuHwa Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:06am
post #19 of 28

I just buy a new can. My kids usually get the rest of the leftovers spread between graham crackers as their lunch time desert for the next week.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 12:32pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

When I used the plastic wrap on plexiglass, the plastic stuck like crazy to the plexi after freezing. How do you get it to release?

I put a thin layer of oil/grease between the two and no sticking.

Melissa

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #21 of 28

I use the cheap fudge icing in a can to do outlines because the consistency isn't as light and whippy like....also you don't need much but if you want add some black americolor to the chocolate and you get a wonderfully black outline....it also thins it out just enough to pipe it without it breaking icon_smile.gif

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #22 of 28

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I am getting ready to try this for the first time for a cake for my BIL this coming weekend. all these tips are great and hopefully will keep me from having any trouble.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #23 of 28

Hello Excuse me of sounding stupid, but do you use the Duncan Heins frosting in the tub to do the outlines? Thanks to all.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:25am
post #24 of 28

I would use the cheaper store versions of the chocolate icing....OR you can use the Wilton chocolate fudge icing, but it is a little more expensive

SuHwa Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #25 of 28

I do use the DH in the tub because that's the flavor my kids like best. They finish up the rest of the can on cupcakes, or, like I said before, on graham crackers. icon_lol.gif

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 2:03am
post #26 of 28

Thank you for the reply. I didn't think that the frosting in the cans would get hard enough to use for the outlines. Thanks again.

luciescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciescakes Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 11:01pm
post #27 of 28

These are awesome hints thank you!

luciescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luciescakes Posted 10 Aug 2013 , 11:04pm
post #28 of 28

Can anyone tell me if this holds up on a cupcake? I see some have made cupcakes with the FBT but I wonder if a shape would keep it's shape.  I want to make viking helmets, and this would save time.  Going to a family reunion and will be making the family crest on our cake.

Thanks for everyone who shared on this thread, all the information is very good!! I can't wait to try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%