My Planes Are Too Heavy To Fly!

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm by momvarden

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:32am
post #1 of 10

im making a cake into the shape of an air traffic control tower and I wanted to have little fondant planes "flying" from wires over the cake but the ones I made are sooo heavy! If I really wanted this to work I should have just rolled gumpaste flat and painted planes on but nooo I wanted 3D so now what to do?? I guess they could be parked on the "runway"...kinda lame since I dont think most air traffic control towers are located directly by the runway. any ideas??
LL

9 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 10

no ideas but wanted to say they sure are cute little planes.
Sorry they are grounded.

mommachris

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:11am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottedmeatchunks

im making a cake into the shape of an air traffic control tower and I wanted to have little fondant planes "flying" from wires over the cake but the ones I made are sooo heavy! If I really wanted this to work I should have just rolled gumpaste flat and painted planes on but nooo I wanted 3D so now what to do?? I guess they could be parked on the "runway"...kinda lame since I dont think most air traffic control towers are located directly by the runway. any ideas??

Redo them. Roll the fondant thinner. Make the fuselage hollow. You can try wrapping the fondant around cotton balls or cotton candy.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:19am
post #4 of 10

hehe, this probably doesnt help, but at least in the movies ive seen, the towers are usually overlooking the runway LOL. icon_smile.gif ..if that makes you feel better about parking them hehe. Maybe you could try to make one fly, and have one parked, and another taking off somehow???

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:21am
post #5 of 10

I know this wouldn't have the same cool effect as having the planes on wires, but could you skewer them and use sticks prop them up in the air (hey dig my pun)? Maybe paint the sticks w/silver or pearl luster dust...something festive that's not too distracting?

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 10:54am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I know this wouldn't have the same cool effect as having the planes on wires, but could you skewer them and use sticks prop them up in the air (hey dig my pun)? Maybe paint the sticks w/silver or pearl ...something festive that's not too distracting?

oooohhhh you may have something there! sure they wont be cutesy little coiled wires like i was hoping but that would certainly make it more sturdy!

partly because i'm lazy but I'm not sure redoing them even with a hollow fuselage will work because the fondant on the wings and stuff really can't get TOO much thinner since I had to wire everything into place, and I just picture poking wire into a hollow plane won't be very sturdy...I don't know you guys are better at this than me lol I'm gonna try the kabob sticks in my pantry for now though

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 11:33am
post #7 of 10

Can you redo them with rice krispy treats? I'm pretty sure they'd be light enough to suspend.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 10

If you paint the skewer silver then you could wind the wire around it to and get both the sturdiness you need and the cutsey curly wire at the same time?

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 10

Did you try a heavier gauge wire or maybe double the wires. You could always put them on the runway and get toy planes for the air. I went to Dollar Tree and purchased some little planes made of styrofoam for a last minute cake and they were okay. Of course your planes are much better, I really love them I am not that talented, but with them on the ground and the fake planes on wire it might be okay.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 10

I would suggest aluminum foil. this way you can put the wire in the foil to secure it in place. to smooth the foil balls rub them on hard surface.
the wings you could put a portion of a popsical stick throught body of the foil ball. Then roll out the product you are using and build from there.

You might have to play a little with this to get it just right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%