Wilton 1

Decorating By Baking4Fun Updated 26 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm by Cakepro

Baking4Fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking4Fun Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 8

First let me say that I know my cakes are by far from perfect! My mom taught me and she is self taught. I don't think the're bad for family & such though. This said, I have been wanting to go to a Wilton 1 course for years. The nearest one is about 45 minutes from home. It is only ever taught from 6-8p.m. and my DH leaves for work at 8:30p.m. I also work full time M-F and have a 3 year old son I feel guilty to leave. I finally found a babysitter. I could have dinner in the crock pot, etc. I knew I would have to miss the first class but its all talk, basic instructions, etc and I figure I could catch up on a break or something. I e-mail the lady and beg her to let me in, tell her my situation and she refuses. She says most people who think they know what they are doing really don't and its to hard for her to explain things. Urghhhhh. I really want to go to this but am having a hard time finding a way. Sorry so long, I just needed to rant. None of my family quite understands! Thanks for listening!!!!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
cakegirl68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl68 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 8

she is so rude, my first class with wilton I miss it, and the Teacher keep my book, and the next class she gave it to my, basically the first class is nothing good your going to miss is just explaining what you suposed to bring to class next time, which is butter cream and the kit.

I know I basically took the classes for the certifications but, at this point i think I can teach the teacher, they are lazy.

Good luck

cakegirl68

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 8

That is so wrong of her!! I would contact Wilton and tell them that, but after the way she acted, I don't know if I would want to take it under her anyway. Maybe they have something closer?

I really can't see why she is being that way. If you get the book and study it at home, there is no reason why you can't miss the first class!

The lady who taught my classes is awesome, most of the time when she is teaching the first class people will come to the door (it's at Hobby Lobby) and want to sign up and of course, she tells them what they will need and they come to the next one - no problem!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 8

The first class is taught every month. Just take it next time. You pay full price, you might as well get all of the classes.
It sounds like the teacher wants everyone to be close to the same page. It can be annoying for the rest of the class for the teacher to stop and explain things when someone misses a class.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #5 of 8

I'm sorry I guess I'm one of those rude or mean WMIs. I do not let anyone come in on Lesson 2 of Course 1. There is alot of information that is gone over in the first lesson as well as the list of what to bring and the products you need for the course.

The few times I let someone join in in Lesson 2 they got frustrated and didn't come back to the other lessons. Or if they did they really struggled to catch up with us. There is so much going on in the other lessons that there isn't time to go back and cover 2 hours of talking and demo-ing.

I totally understand that life doesn't always make it easy to take the classes, especially when there is a conflict in schedules and kids involved. Find out when the WMI is teaching Course 1 next month and maybe that will work better for you.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #6 of 8

I too agree with texas sugar. I am a wmi and the first session of any of the courses are very important. I would have encouraged you to try the following month when you could attend all the sessions. I know it is a demonstration class where we make icing, ice a cake and give instructions for the following week, but even when i have seasoned decorators take the class they always say they have picked up tips and ways to do things that were new to them. As the wmi with a set class schedule there is no time to catch up a student the following week becuase they missed a class. She had every right to refuse your joining and wilton even tells us to do this. hopefully you will beable to take the class another time, it is offered every month so your not missing it.
id also like to add, we are not lazy.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 12:10am
post #7 of 8

I took with Wilton 1 class a few months ago and the first one really was helpful. There were things I learned that weren't in the book simply because the instructor had been decorating for over 30 years and really knew what she was doing.

I'm a visual learner and though there are a couple of things I've learned out of books, being taught in person where someone could correct my technique is very helpful to me. I hope you're able to fit it into your schedule.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 8

The few times I've let someone join on C1L2, I've usually regretted it.

There really is a TON of information presented on the first night of class.

I'm sure sorry it didn't work out for you this month. I know you're very disappointed.

~ Sherri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%