Wires On Cake; My New Enemy!!!

Decorating By aundron Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 8:11am by diane

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:11am
post #31 of 40

Sorry you are having a problem. My suggestion is once you have the balls on the end of the wire and they are round place them on some thick foam and then you should not get then dented. This is how I make my pearls. Not sure about the size though perhaps the weight may dent them. Have you any of those formers made of polystyrene type stuff that you dry leaves and flowers in and perhaps place them in that because they are rounded. I haven't done these large balls so these are just suggestions. Good Luck

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #32 of 40

Briarview~
No I dont have any of those but I am up for getting some. The balls I am trying to make are about 1/2 inch? big. The wedding is in 3 weeks, nothing like waiting till the last possible moment to try something new!
Are they made from Gumpaste? That is what I am using.

Briarview Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:36am
post #33 of 40

Yes the pearls were gumpaste and I used the tutorial from earlenes site and it shows you how to get them even. http://www.earlenescakes.com/prlinstruct.htm
I will go and have a try and see how I go

Briarview Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 3:53am
post #34 of 40

Here are the ones I have just done with some spare gumpaste, Is this what you are trying to do? Are you making a hook at the end of the wire before you insert it. A touch of moisture before you do and they should stay. No need to place on foam.
LL

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:49am
post #35 of 40

I used drinking straws and cut them to the height of the cake. I then stick enough of the wired decorations into the straw until snug. After they are snug I arrange the wires to my liking. Clip the ends that are hanging out of the bottom of the straw. Then I push the straw down slightly to cover the cut wires I just clipped. Then I just stick them into the cake. I haven't had any issues at all.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=708203

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=793633

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 1:17pm
post #36 of 40

Briarview~
Thats it exactly!!!
Put a hook at the end of the wire? Brilliant!! And then put a dab of water on the wire will act like glue? What a life saver!! I am so excited =D
I am going to check out the website.
Thank you thank you thank you!!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberghini

I use floral wires in 18 gage. I dip the wires in chocolate so that the metal does not come in contact with the cake. I also push the wires down to the bottom of the layer. I have never had a problem with the wires moving or shifting on me.

Wow, that's a great idea!!!

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 12:42am
post #38 of 40

I used the straw method on the cake I decorated last night. It worked great. I was able to remove the wires which had stars on them, because they were too tall for the cake box. and was able to put them back on when I delivered it. Who ever thought of that trick is a genious.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #39 of 40

save

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 8:11am
post #40 of 40

i also make a small hook at the end of the wire and stick that in the straw...it makes it stay in place. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%