Should I Be Mad! Tell Me What You Think!

Decorating By arahsa Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 4:58pm by pottedmeatchunks

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 35

So I have something that has TOTALLY been bothering me and im not really sure if I should be mad or not.

I have been taking the Wilton classes for 3 months now. I am taking my last class. Well ever since I started taking the classes I have brought the cakes to work to share with the people I work with. I work for a large financial company. Well 2 weeks ago a manager had brought it to my attention that there was a lady who works on the same floor that I do who has decided that she is going to take the classes. She does not work in my department just on the same floor. So it wouldnt bother my that she was taking the classes.

Let me mention that I have made cakes for both of my bosses and have brought in a cake EVERY week for the past 3 months even if I did not have to bring one to class.

Well Monday I came in to work and brought in a cake as I normally do and that woman had the nerve to bring in cake and start offering it to all the people in my team, when she knew that I ALWAYS brought a cake in on Mondays. I was so angry. I think that is a lack of class and respect. She could have just shared the cake with her little group but instead she has to try to get my group. And she was making comments about how there is a new cake decorator in the building. SO RUDE! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I dont know how I should handle it!!!! HELP I NEED ADVISE!

THANKS FOR READING MY VENT!

34 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 35

I can see where that would be aggravating, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure that YOUR cakes outweigh hers by miles in TASTE! lol Then just sit back and listen to all the comments about how YOUR cakes taste much better!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 35

No I wouldn't be mad at all. You are way ahead of her so your cakes are much nicer. Start trying new flavors, new fillings and so on. Then tell everyone the day before to save room because you are bringing in a great cake for them to try. Then when that lady comes around they will tell her "Oh thanks but I'm saving room for this special kind of cake"

One can never have to much cake. People can have a piece in the morning and then one in the afternoon.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 35

Maybe you should be flattered instead? She saw you enjoying your new hobby, thought it looked like fun, and wanted to try her hand at it. When in doubt, acting with class is the best way to go. Perhaps you and she could have lunch and "chat cake" and you'll end up with a new friend in the process.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 35

I wouldnt be angry because if anything see is the one who looks like the fool like she is trying to out shine you and people can usually see through those kinds of people...Im sure your cakes are much nicer and she is obviously just crying out for attention.. let her get her fill then when people really want a NICE cake I am sure they will come to you because you will have more expirence than she does..

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 35

It is call Jealousy.

Now you have to be the bigger person - let her make stupid comments eventual everyone will get tired of it and have more respect for you keeping your mouth shut. Just keep bringing your cakes in and say nothing when she makes a comment she trying to push your buttons so can tell everyone look how jealous she is.

She asks for tips just tell her to take classes and read books that is how you do it. Keep your recipes to yourself if you want but is she keeps making comments just smile and walk away. and if you really want to push her buttons say your cake is beautiful or cute better yet take a piece of cake. (you can throw away later)

Take the high road and work on your skill.

good luck

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 35

Chances are, If she's not a CC fanatic like you are icon_biggrin.gif The newness will wear thin. She'll get tired of providing cake and you will reign supreme again.

Keep doing what you're doing, quietly improving and honing your skills. She can't begin to have the resources you have right here with the recipes, ideas and encouragments. Besides, competition is healthy. How would people in the office know how much better yours are if they don't have something to compare it with?

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 35

This sounds like a petty thing to be angry about. if she was insulting your cakes, or bad mouthing you, I'd say "yeah" you should be mad. Cakes bring pople together! And i'm sure your co-workers wouldn't mind there being more cake! Cheers! thumbs_up.gif

avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 35

I could see why you're upset, but like the previous post says...just make sure yours are always better. You can't stop people from taking cake decorating classes or sharing their cakes for that matter. Maybe she saw your weekly cakes and it inspired her to take classes. You're 3 months ahead of her so you must be way better. Life's too short. Cheer up.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 35

Okay, I did not read the other replies but wanted to get mine out.

I'd be pretty pissed!!!! I would feel hurt!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_twisted.gif That's just who I am. To have the woman say "There's a new cake decorator in the building." icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif That leads me to believe that she has partaken of your cakes and thinks she's better. Yeah, that's rude as heck!!!!! Maybe that's not her intent but that's the way it comes across.

You can introduce yourself to her and just ask her nicely where does she take her classes. You know, kind of chit chat just to get the scoop on her and where's she's coming from. You'd be nice as "pie" of course. Don't let her know you feel hurt. UNLESS, she's just flat out rude to you then I would just ask her to please keep her cakes for her immediate work group. You could also go up to some of the people that have had your cakes and ask their opinion of hers. Of course they are going to be honest
and say yours are better right!!.

Alright, please let us know how this turns out. I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amy

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 35

Be flattered... don't let it bother you and just keep furthering your experience practicing and letting your coworkes enjoy your new found talent!

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 35

I think there is room for the two cakes and you should not feel bad. I would talk to her and compare notes and just enjoy each other cakes.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 35

Talk about a need for attention! I sounds to me like she might have heard everyone rave about your cakes and decided to compete with you! My ex-boss used to do that. I'd bring in a cake or cookies to share, usually because I needed to relieve some stress (I bake when I'm stressed). Then she'd have to do the same to try to show me up. I'm so glad she quit!

Hang in there! You're SO FAR AHEAD of her! icon_lol.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 35

Shes trying to show you up! Hahaha! Silly woman, take the high road, say nothing and let her make a fool of herself.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:21pm
post #15 of 35

Sounds like jealousy is what's motivating her. So she feels the need to try and outdo you. She is pretty rude. I don't think there's anything you can though, short of confronting her. I'd just keep on bring in the cakes just like before. Maybe you could start adding new flavors and fillings, like another poster suggested. Don't let her see you sweat. She's the one who is totally tacky...and your co-workers probably already know it.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:24pm
post #16 of 35

Guess it's my age, but, I wouldn't be upset at all. So, she brings cake, too. She brings cake to your team. Bring cake and give it to HER team.

My cousin and I have made candy for 20 years every Christmas and we take it to work and give to friends and family. So, when I taught nursing I would bring my "special" Christmas Candy. So, did others. Guess what? We ALL ate EVERYONE's candy and loved it!

It's about sharing and having a good attitude. You might even be able to share decorating tips with her.

Always remember "To Whom Much is Given....Much is Required".

Beth in KY

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 35

I think you should be flattered, put yourself in here shoes, she has probally wanted to do cake decorating for a long time and has just now gotten around to taking the classes. She see's your cakes and is inspired- that means your cakes are inspiring! Now she knows there is an "expert" cake decorator in the office so it is probally hard for her to work up the nerve to bring in her beginner cake. She more than likely said "there is a new cake decorator in town" to break the ice so to speak, and to explain that she too is taking the classes (I think you said she was taking the classes). I would just be polite and encouraging and most of all be flattered. Chances are that after a couple of cakes her intrest in bringing them weekly will subside anyway. There are so many things in this world to be mad about, cake really shouldn't be one of them. icon_wink.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #18 of 35

I think you shouldn't worry about it. If it's not a hobby she's genuinely interested in, and she's doing it to steal your sunshine, she'll lose interest pretty quick and your cakes will be back in the limelight.

Besides, she knows nothing of CC, and i'm sure she'll use the class buttercream icing from the wilton books, and everyone knows how that stuff tastes anyway.

let her open her moth and dig herself into a hole, and you can sit back and watch. your coworkers will appreciate you even more after the fact thumbs_up.gif

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:45pm
post #19 of 35

Try to look at it this way.....
I have 2 daughters who are a year apart. The younger one is constantly trying to do everything that my older daughter is doing. It drives my older daughter insane. She gets so upset. It is difficult because though I am happy to see my young girl doing big girl things, my older girl sits back and probably thinks, "what about me, I was doing that last year." Anyway, as a mom, (or like your boss) I am happy that now I have 2 kids who can do big things and your boss now has 2 employees who can do cakes. Maybe you learned first, and maybe your skill is far better, but just think of the positive team the two of you could be if you put pride aside and baked together.
I agree that I'd be jealous at first, but like someone said, maybe you two could be really good friends. Seems like you already have something in common. Your boss is probably trying to boost his/her team morale. Keep up with your awesome cakes! And, try to support someone who probably just wants to be like you!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:48pm
post #20 of 35

Are you bringing cakes to work in order to bring business your way and is she doing the same thing? If so, as long as you're better than she is, her bringing cakes that are inferior to yours helps you...makes you look all the more talented.

If you're bringing them just for others to enjoy, then I wouldn't be upset at all. There's always room for more cake.thumbs_up.gif

Her comments about another decorator being there were probably just meant as a joke. If they weren't then she looks foolish. Don't stoop to her level in pettiness.

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 35

I'd say being mad is an over reaction.....From the first post it makes you wonder who wants attention more??? No offense meant, but do you take cake to work because you like to bake, don't want to eat it all yourself and gain weight, and just like to share; or do you take it to get the "good job" or the "ooos and ahhhs"?

I admit, when I'm really proud of a new technique I'll share it with my close FRIENDS at work, but I don't expect the rest of the office to care...and I judged how well my cakes are liked by how much is left at the end of the day....That's all that matters to me....

Personally, I have a girlfriend at work who can do cake, she doesn't even try to do it as deep as I do, but when she makes a cake I always compliment her, and we talk cake, barrow stuff from each other, etc. She's been a big asset since she was doing this before I was, and she has some books, the "tool box" and more tips than I do, so when I need one, I can barrow it....But never does it come across like one is upstaging the other, or that we even care whose cake is better....A pretty cake is nice, but what really counts to most people is the taste, and most cake is darn good! I don't care who makes it...

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #22 of 35

I say keep making your great cakes...keep trying new things...keep loving what you're doing...and keep sharing with the people at work. Just take your cake in on TUESDAY. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:01pm
post #23 of 35

I worked in a building of 300 women, on a floor with 100 of them. There were more than one of us who did cakes (although I was the only one that took it to a business level).

I was always very encouraging of anyone who made cakes. I made sure to take a piece of their cake and compliment it. I talked to them about different decorating techniques. It was like a private club!

Except for one. She became very arrogant on it. Of all of us, she did the worst work. One lady ordered cupcakes from her for daughter's class and threw them in the trash because they looked so bad; she bought replacements from the local bakery.

Anyway ... at one point, this person is telling me her pricing. I offer the suggestion that she needs to increase her pricing because she is underselling herself. She got pretty arrogant and said, "You're just jealous because I have better pricing than you and I'm now your competition!" I said .....

"Honey, you keep sellin' 'em at that price .... because pretty soon I won't have to worry about you being my competition at all."

If your co-worker is being catty or arrogant about it, everyone will see that. If her work is not up to par with yours, people will see that. When you get to the point that you open your own shop, odds are good that you won't be the only cake maker in town ..... so this is a good time to learn how to deal with other decorators.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #24 of 35

I completely understand but I've experienced the other side of this. I started a new job back in January (my first after graduating grad school) and was so looking forward to getting back into having a life which involved starting into decorating cakes again. I had planned on practicing and bringing my cakes to my new job. Once I got here, though, I found out another coworker decorated cakes and would bring them here for everyone to eat. She is actually interested in selling them. I decided that she definitely had first dibs and I would just have to settle for taking mine elsewhere. I felt it would be rude if I tried to bring one to work and that my coworker might feel like I was trying to compete against her.

Now that I've been here awhile she now knows that I also enjoy cake decorating and we feel comfortable asking each other's advice but I would never bring one of my own cakes here. This is her territory.

I would definitely find out why she started decorating because maybe she has always wanted to do it but of course, you are much more experienced and are already established with your coworkers. Although, I would feel a little upset if this happened to me.

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:04pm
post #25 of 35

You know, the other thing about it is that she'll be taking the classes and so she'll be basically doing the same cakes you've already done. It'll just look like she copied you!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:08pm
post #26 of 35

[quote="bethola"]Guess it's my age, but, I wouldn't be upset at all. So, she brings cake, too. She brings cake to your team. Bring cake and give it to HER team.

My cousin and I have made candy for 20 years every Christmas and we take it to work and give to friends and family. So, when I taught nursing I would bring my "special" Christmas Candy. So, did others. Guess what? We ALL ate EVERYONE's candy and loved it!

It's about sharing and having a good attitude. You might even be able to share decorating tips with her.

Always remember "To Whom Much is Given....Much is Required".

Beth in KY[/quote]

I'm old also. I would love to be able to have some one to discuss cake with, new tech. recipes,equipment. Why are we women so quick to take offense. She is just starting out it will be awhile before she can compete with you. Your office seems to be big enough to handle 2 small cakes at a time. As some one suggested bring your cake on a diffrent day if it really bugs you so much. Life is to short, enjoy it and share.

Tabbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tabbee Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:39pm
post #27 of 35

You're right. Her behaviour is really kind of wierd. I think your confusion is understandable, but she hasn't done anything really wrong. She's just been kind of thoughtless. The upshot is, you really have no control over what she does, only how you react. This is your place of work. I bet you've got all sorts of good will built up with your co-workers (cake does that). Take a deep breath, remove yourself from the emotion, and go about your way in the manner which you can best live with yourself. Maybe she'll become a cake buddy, maybe she's really a crazy witch who's best avoided (but at least she's identified), but you serve yourself best if you don't react from a place of fear or anger.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #28 of 35

That would be aggravating, but so much in life is. I believe like Bethola could be the age thing too. I think the older I get the less I care about petty stuff. I would do good to her regardless of what she does. Leave the vengance to God he will take care of her. Seems like the prideful ones always fall the hardest. Who knows you may become partners seems like there is LOTS of people there, look on the brighter side. icon_lol.gif What looks like bad could turn out for good...........................

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:24pm
post #29 of 35

I don't understand the problem...
It sounds like she had a lot of cake because she is excited about her new hobby, so she shared it at work. You shared with only your group, she shared with the whole floor...
How is that thoughtless?

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #30 of 35

I've been screwed over by this happening and me "playing nice".

I speak from experience here...

Yes share cake talk, be nice but don't share your recipes or other secrets to success.

If she is interested in doing this then she can take the time to find her own secrets to success just like the rest of (including you) have. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%