Help Quick Please! Nfsc Recipe

Baking By curiouscakes Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 8:03pm by lauramw71

curiouscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiouscakes Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 5

I am making the sugar cookie recipe tonight. I realized that I didn't have a full two cups of butter on hand, and to be honest, I don't need five dozen cookies right now. Anyhow, I decided to cut the recipe in HALF. I literally did exactly half of everything. I think that was a mistake though.
I just put the "dough" in the fridge while I write this post in hopes of getting some advice. The mixture is crumbly, not doughy. I definately need some more liquids or something. Any ideas? Please!!
Thanks for any help you may have.

ps-How thick can I make these cookies so they'll still cook through?

4 replies
slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 5

Making half a recipe should be fine, I do it all the time.

What kind of mixer did you use for the dough? I've noticed, along with several other posters, that the dough goes through a "crumbly" stage just before it comes together. I mix mine in my KA on low speed, and just wait until it comes together in a ball to take it out of the bowl.

I would recommend taking it back out of the fridge, letting it come to room temp and then kneading it a bit to get it to come together. Also, I always roll mine out before I refrigerate it, because I find that it is way too hard to roll out when it's cold.

I roll mine between sheets of parchment, and I make my cookies about 3/8 inch thick. I bake them at 350 for 12-14 minutes, depending on the size of the cutter I use, until they just barely start to get golden brown around the edges.

hth, if you have more questions just ask!

Laura.

TrisCorey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrisCorey Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 5

I have been told that my sugar cookies are just the best and I never chill them. I seems to be soooo much more difficult to work with when it is cold. I have to spend half of my time kneading the dough to keep it from being crumbly. I am probably breaking the rules, but it seems to work for me. HTH.

Tris

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:15am
post #4 of 5

I would take them out of the fridge and just keep 'kneading' as such. They will come together eventually.

What I also have done previously is to add a little milk a half teaspoon at a time and that also works nicely.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

know what, the VERY first time i made the NFSC, i 1/2'd it.. and the SAME thing happened.. NO idea why, but i did it again and it was fine. might have been one of those "things" lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%