Whats The Best Recipe For Chocolate Buttercream?

Decorating By frosting111 Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 4:36pm by frosting111

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 22

Without checking the recipes section I wanted to ask what the best recipe for Chocolate Butter cream icing is...I wanted opinions straight up cause posted recipes are hard to determine whether they are good or not. I'll be making about 4 recipes of butter cream icing for an up coming cake, I wanted to use Butter Cream for it to crust well cause the cake will be covered 95% in basket weave ....I read somewhere on CC in the forums that you can use canned chocolate icing added into your butter cream recipe...can someone give me the heads up on this and what it tastes like,and should I use fudge,chocolate or milk chocolate to do this?

Thanks in Advance, Mary birthday.gif

21 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 22

I don't know about using canned frosting in buttercream, but my favorite chocoalte buttercream is the chocolate syrup recipe posted on this site. It crusts up fairly well and is super delicious! Also if you use the hersheys super dark cocoa in it you get a deep chocoalte color, almost black! Use the regular cocoa and you get a nice chocolate color.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 22

I had this delima yesterday. I was given great advice. Here's what I ended up doing. I made my all crisco BC icing added 3/4 cup of cocoa to 10x sugar before mixing it in. I wasn;t thrilled with the results. I put it in the fridge & left for church. I came home looked on Wilton's site. I looked in their recipe section & found their chocolate BC icing. I mixed the two icings together. The cake crusted very well. I almost did basketweave on teh cake. I didn't because I wasn't putting flowers on it. Hope this helps.

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

I don't know about using canned frosting in buttercream, but my favorite chocoalte buttercream is the chocolate syrup recipe posted on this site. It crusts up fairly well and is super delicious! Also if you use the hersheys super dark cocoa in it you get a deep chocoalte color, almost black! Use the regular cocoa and you get a nice chocolate color.

Thanks I just looked this recipe up..looks good enough to try to me..does it have a chocolaty or chocolate fudge flavor to it?

Bout how many cups does it make per recipe?

Euphoriabakery Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 22

It is definitely chocolatey! It tastes a lot like fudge. AS a matter of fact if you have any left over melt it slightly and pour it over vanilla ice cream for a real treat!

I think it makes about 4 cups or so (not really sure) enought to ice and decorate an 8-inch round.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 22

My favorite chocolate buttercream is the "Easy Chocolate Buttercream" recipe here on CC. I get compliments every time I make it! It tastes like the fudge buttercream my Grandma used to make!

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:

It is definitely chocolatey! It tastes a lot like fudge. AS a matter of fact if you have any left over melt it slightly and pour it over vanilla ice cream for a real treat!

I think it makes about 4 cups or so (not really sure) enought to ice and decorate an 8-inch round.

Wonderful...I will sure use this recipe indeed..sounds yummy..this is why I wanted to ask and get opinions first...BTW Your cakes are Beautiful!!!! thumbs_up.gif

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 22

So far I've had trouble any time I've tried to add cocoa powder to the icing - it comes out grainy. However, the chocolate syrup taste great! I didn't really get it to crust though...... I cant' remember the name of the recipe here but it involved Hershey's syrup. I think you can also melt some chocolate into the buttercream..... I haven't found a favorite recipe yet for decorating but for taste - the hershey syrup recipe is yummy yummy!!!!

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 22

I just did a chocolate basketweave last week, so I hope this helps! I made the Chocolate Syrup Frosting first in hopes that I could use it for the basketweave. It was very yummy, but was quite soft, so I had doubts about it holding up for a basketweave. (I'm sure I could have used more conf. sugar, but it seemed very sweet already, and I didn't want to make it sweeter!) So, I used it for the filling and crumb coat (and called it a "Chocolate Fudge Filling"!) and made the Chocolate Decorator's Buttercream (yummy, too!) for the basketweave. It worked perfectly for the basketweave. (I haven't downloaded my picture yet, sorry!)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 22

I love the double chocolate BC on CC it's sooo good!!!!! Had rave reviews on it....even though mine siezed a little lol. They loved the little chunks.

Euphoriabakery Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 22

Hmmm, it crusts up every time I make it? Not as stiff as regular buttercream, but definitely enough to do basketweave with. I was even able to use a viva papertowel on it to smooth with and didn't have any sticking.

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

My favorite chocolate buttercream is the "Easy Chocolate Buttercream" recipe here on CC. I get compliments every time I make it! It tastes like the fudge buttercream my Grandma used to make!

So basically your recipe is the has the same ingredients without using the chocolate syrup in it?...man if it tastes like what granny used to make it must be good indeed...

Have you tried it with the syrup?

Thanks for your reply, Mary birthday.gif

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:

Hmmm, it crusts up every time I make it? Not as stiff as regular buttercream, but definitely enough to do with. I was even able to use a viva papertowel on it to smooth with and didn't have any sticking.

So in your opinion it "will" do well enough to basket weave?

Have you had to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it a tad?

The recipe and your opinion on the taste sounds like its the one for me..I really want to impress this side of the family I haven't met yet at this baby shower...and I know chocolate will impress the best of us indeed icon_wink.gif

So do your use the Hersheys syrup and Cocoa powder?

Euphoriabakery Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 22

Yes I made the frosting as it is listed in the recipe, but if it seems too thin to you go ahead and add a little extra powdered sugar. I use hershey's syrup and cocoa, I have tried it with both the regular hershey's cocoa and the special dark hershey's cocoa, they are both great however the special dark version turns out almost black.

emnjakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emnjakesmom Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 22

Please let me know if the chocolate syrup frosting works for the basketweave. I made mine for a cake auction at my son's school, and knowing how hot it gets in the school for this fundraiser, I was worried that it wouldn't hold up. It seemed quite soft to me, and I followed the directions to the letter. Good luck!

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Yes I made the frosting as it is listed in the recipe, but if it seems too thin to you go ahead and add a little extra powdered sugar. I use hershey's syrup and cocoa, I have tried it with both the regular hershey's cocoa and the special dark hershey's cocoa, they are both great however the special dark version turns out almost black.

Thanks for all your input..I am going to defiantly try this recipe..and know knowing the difference in the two cocoas making the icing dark or light will help too...I'll probably go with the lighter shade.

Thanks, Mary birthday.gif

frosting111 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by emnjakesmom

Please let me know if the chocolate syrup frosting works for the . I made mine for a cake auction at my son's school, and knowing how hot it gets in the school for this fundraiser, I was worried that it wouldn't hold up. It seemed quite soft to me, and I followed the directions to the letter. Good luck!

I'll make sure to post my pictures and how well the icing did icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the well wishes...the weather is pretty cool here right now in the 40's, so I know it will be to my benifit..the baby shower is on November 11th...

Thanks, Mary icon_surprised.gif)

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:26am
post #18 of 22

OK so I have looked at all of the chocolate buttercream recipes (I think) listed in the recipes section. None of them list Hershey's syrup as an ingredient. What recipe is this exactly? I have been looking for a dark chocolate bc for the longest time.

Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:03am
post #19 of 22

It is called chocoalte syrup frosting. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2033-4-Chocolate-Syrup-Frosting.html

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you ! icon_biggrin.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 22

All great suggestions -- and here's another. I just made Toba Garrett's recipe from her book "The Well-Decorated Cake." It was fabulous!!!

frosting111 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysmom

All great suggestions -- and here's another. I just made 's recipe from her book "The Well-Decorated Cake." It was fabulous!!!

Thanks...

Would you post the recipe here for us?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%