First Attempt At Ice Cream Cake....never Again!!!!!!

Decorating By ConnieB Updated 24 Oct 2006 , 6:58am by redpanda

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 5

OK y'all, I decided I would do an ice cream cake for my friends daughters 8th birthday. This was the biggest cake disaster I have ever encountered in my life.

First of all the icecream wanted to keep seeping through the icing as I was trying to frost it. I would have to stop and put it back in the freezer fro a while to firm up again.

Then I proceeded to take the cake to the party. While I was riding down the road the top half of the cake started to slide of the layer of ice cream, the icing was falling off, the ice cream was melting really bad. icon_cry.gif

I got to the house and told my friend that this is the worst cake in the history of cakes. I told her that I was thinking about throwing it out the window, and just telling them that I was attacked by an animal and it ate the cake...ha! ha!

The kids were tickled over the cake and ate it, and loved it, so did the adults. I have to say that what the cake lacked in appearance, it made up for in taste. I used the DH white cake mix with the vanilla/caramel coffee creamer, vanilla ice cream and Buttercream icing.

Hope y'all enjoyed this disasterous story icon_biggrin.gif

usaribbon.gif

4 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 5

I do ice cream cakes every now and then and every time I swear it's my last one! Sorry you had this happen but at least everyone loved it. It's better to have a messy cake that tastes great than a pretty one that tastes bad.

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:24am
post #3 of 5

I'm all for letting Baskin Robbins do the ice cream cakes--the one I tried was a disaster too.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:51am
post #4 of 5

I don't mind doing ice cream cakes, but they do take a bit longer as they need time in the freezer every now and then while icing and decorating.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:58am
post #5 of 5

One of my coworkers told me that the secrets to the Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes are that they have a deep freeze to get the cake and ice cream slices REALLY cold, they use Pastry Pride (or is it Bettercream) not Buttercream, and they often return the cake to the freezer between decorating steps.

He'd know, since his dad owns a BR franchise and he helped in the store when he was younger.

RP

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%