Fbct Question

Decorating By mom2ty Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm by mom2ty

mom2ty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2ty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:15am
post #1 of 12

OK. this may be a dumb question but can you put a FBCT on the side of a cake? I'm looking to do a Thomas the Tank Engine stacked cake and want to make tunnels on the side of the cake. I'm thinking of trying a FBCT and sticking it on the side but am afraid it won't "stick" or will end up sagging. I could always make it out of color flow but I really don't want to have to make that kind of icing. Have never had much luck with it. Any suggestions would be great! TIA

11 replies
melyissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melyissa Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:41am
post #2 of 12

I can't give you a tried and true answer, but...I would think it could work. as long as the transfer is not REALLY thick and heavy...but again, I've never tried it.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #3 of 12

I haven't personally tried it like the pp, but I have seen lots of cakes in the gallery that have done a FBCT. I say give it a try, just try not to make it too thick. HTH!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #4 of 12

Yes it will work but put a border around it. Mine slid off. you can see it on my Nightmare Before Christmas cake. The only one that did not slide had a border!!!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:08am
post #5 of 12

yes, you can do it. I did it with my thomas cake here is the link if you want to see. The trains aren't very good, but I am sure you will do a better job than me, but they stayed on there just fine. I just smooshed them into the side before I peeled the paper off.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=75277

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:16am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

yes, you can do it. I did it with my thomas cake here is the link if you want to see. The trains aren't very good, but I am sure you will do a better job than me, but they stayed on there just fine. I just smooshed them into the side before I peeled the paper off.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=75277

Was it hot when you made your cake? As I said mine "melted" down the side if it didn't have a border. It was a hot day as I remember here!

freddyfl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:32am
post #7 of 12

It was August when I made it and I think in the 80's maybe? I make my transfers really thin, so it could have been the weight difference that made yours slide if you make a thick transfer? It could also be a humidity difference as well...I don't know.

mom2ty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:41am
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. Freddyfl - I've seen the top pic of that cake and it is awesome. Didn't see the side pic. I'll give it a try. How far in advance can I make them? I want to do a couple tests but if they work out can I just leave them in the freezer? His party isn't until 9/22. Below is my mockup of what I'm thinking. The tracks will actually be strawberry newtons with pretzel sticks (or maybe do those as a fbct too icon_rolleyes.gif ) This is by far the most ambitious cake I've attempted to date. [/img]

mom2ty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:42am
post #9 of 12

ok.. that didn't work. how do I post a pic within my post?

nevermind... found the answer.

mom2ty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 12

here's the mock up of what I want to do... hopefully it works out. I'll let you all know! Thanks again!

freddyfl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 12

That is a very cool cake you have planned. You could make the transfers now and leave them on a cookie sheet in the freezer til you need them, especially if it is a deep freezer. It shouldn't be a problem.

mom2ty Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 12

cool... may have to play with them this weekend and if they work out then just save them. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%