Voting On Wilton' Site

Business By vicki0052 Updated 29 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm by CakesUnleashed

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:26am
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone: I would like to congradulate the semi-finalist on their wonderful cakes on Wilton's site. However, I received my e-mail on Friday saying that the voting was now being done. When I tried to vote a prompt came up saying I had already voted. I e-mailed Wilton back and explained I hadn't voted. They e-mailed me back saying something like my IP number had been tracked and had been used to vote. Ok, I still didn't understand that but ok. Then, tonight I went on the site to vote again and the same prompt was showing, you have already voted. No, I haven't voted and this is the third day. So what I am saying is, am I the only one out there with this problem. Is this voting fixed? What is going on? Could anyone out there explain to me what this is. Apparently, Wilton is not trying to fix this. Vicki0052.

14 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #2 of 15

I had this problem, too. I haven't been able to vote.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #3 of 15

It wouldn't be for Wilton to fix it... it must be something at your end... is it possible you have a virus (worm) on your computer?

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:36am
post #4 of 15

Are you using a computer at home or at a work place?

Im am by no means an expert on computers or the internet and if this info is wrong please someone correct me.

Your ip number is a specific number assigned to your computer and everytime you go on wiltons site (and many other sites) they record that number, so they can tell if you have been there before or not. If you are using a computer at your work or a public computer someone else must have been to wiltons site before you. If you are using a home puter has someone else in your family used the same puter to vote also? If you are using a home computer and nobody else has used it to go to wiltons site I have no idea then. Hopefully someone will be along shortly that can help!

~Sonya

kellyh57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyh57 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:37am
post #5 of 15

I'm guessing your internet provider gives you a new IP address every time you log on. So, they recycle the numbers and someone had your IP# and voted.

Kelly

vicki0052 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:43am
post #6 of 15

No, I am the only one on my home computer and the computer at work blocks out Wilton and this site altogether. So now what? Vicki0052.

vicki0052 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:47am
post #7 of 15

I'm beginning to see that something in Denmark smells. I guess I'm not going to be able to vote in the contest. This is so unfair. Vicki0052. I would also love to find out how to get in touch with the woman that made the christmas ornament cookies or cupcakes... Anyone on line know her? Vicki 0052

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 3:52am
post #8 of 15

Hummmm.....What kind of internet service do you have? Dial up? Cable?

What browser do you use? Explorer? Firefox?

Maybe if you tried clearing your history, cookies, and cache, and restart the computer? Not sure if it would help thou.

~Sonya

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 4:03am
post #9 of 15

Hi Vicki, my husband is a computer programmer, and he just tried to explain this to me as best as he can...so here goes, my attempt at regurgitating what he just told me!

Every computer has its own IP address. But you could be going through a proxy - that is, your ISP may have a common IP address that you're sharing "upstream" from your computer, but which they then split into multiple IP addresses for all their users. If this is the case, Wilton has captured that common IP address, and anyone who goes through your ISP (and shares this IP address) is now blocked from voting, if anyone of them has been to the site.

However, what may be likely is that they simply haven't cleared your IP address from the last time you voted on their site - have you voted at wilton.com in the past? If so perhaps you can explain that to Wilton!

Hope this helps!

ChristaPaloma Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:00am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelectables

I had this problem, too. I haven't been able to vote.

Just wondering if you and vicki are on the same service?...which would point to the usage of a common ISP but I would have thought each computer in the stream would still have their own address within that...I would try clearing the cookies and temp files and reboot...that might do it.

vicki0052 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:08am
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone. I will clear the cookies and see if I can vote with evening when I come home. Like I said before Wilton's site and this site are block from usage when I am at work. Also, I have never voted on Wilton's site for any of their other contests. Vicki0052.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:09am
post #12 of 15

I did all that and I still can't vote! What's funny is that I haven't even voted from my home computer. I went on 2 days ago to show my hubby the pics and then we had to leave. But it still says that I voted. Bummer!

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:18am
post #13 of 15

I use AOL and I kept having the same problem so I tried through Internet Explorer and it works fine. I have that happen on things now & then for some reason.

ChristaPaloma Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 11:33am
post #14 of 15

It's more than likely the browser doesn't clear the cookies properly and you have to do it yourself. It should fix once you do that.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #15 of 15

My sister forwarded the link (after she voted) to a friend of hers, and it has said that she already voted. Well, we figured it out:

Since that link was forwarded from someone that already voted, it was picking it up. That person then, in turn, went into Wilton on their own, not using the link and were able to vote!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%