Down Payment For Wedding Cake

Business By ernurse39 Updated 29 Aug 2007 , 7:59am by diane

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 10

This is my 3rd wedding cake and previously I have never asked for a deposit because I was being nice due to lack of funds on the customer's part. But now I have a customer that wants to know when to give the deposit and how much. The cake total comes to 425.00. When do y'all ask for the deposit and how much do you ask for? Thanks for your help!

9 replies
kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 10

I always ask for 50% at the time of order (unless it's less than 30 days prior and they have to pay it all up front) and then the rest at least 30 days before the event. This does 2 things - 1) usually 50% is enough to cover my costs without breaking their bank. 2) It solidifies the commitment.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 10

I do the same as the previous poster..50% down for a down payment.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 10

I would probably go ahead with the 50% since you have all the info, price etc. I have a lot of girls coming in a year + in advance and wanting to secure their date without knowing yet exactly what they want. I require a $50 non-refundable retainer (I've learned to avoid calling it a deposit, that inplies they would get it back!) that applies to the balance once they make all the final decisions. Then the balance is due 2 weeks before the wedding. I rarely have anyone pay on the 2 week mark, but occasionally.
-Lori

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 10

As said before, I also do 50%. I figure it's enough to cover costs or anything special that I have to get for the cake. And you definitely want the balance before you begin making the cake. My contract says 7 days prior.

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 10

I usually do 50% down, at time of order and booking of the date
then the balance is due up to 2 weeks prior to the date

AnneT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneT Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 10

I tell the bride to be when she makes the appointment that there is a $40.00 consultation fee. If she signs a contract that amount is applied to the total price of the cake. I don't want to spend my time without being compensated if she is just shopping around.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 10

I also ask for a $50 non-refundable retainer/deposit. That seems to be the going rate around my city. Even the big bakeries are $50 deposit except for the high end ones which are 50%. But those cakes are in the $1000 + range.

I think if the cake was going to be over $600, I'd ask for 50%

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:47am
post #9 of 10

I do the $50 retainer to hold the date (applies to the cake), and the balance due 2 weeks prior. No $, no cake, very simple. I've never had one unpaid, and most pay it early either in payments or all at once.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 7:59am
post #10 of 10

always ask for a deposit...especially when it's wedding cakes. you put to much time and effort and $$$ into it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%