Anyone Experienced Large Airbubble Forming Under Icing?

Decorating By ktcakes1090 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm by kerri729

ktcakes1090 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktcakes1090 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 9:36am
post #1 of 4

I've had several cakes develop large airbubbles under the icing. I have to poke them and pat them down. Usually they return in the same place, moments later. I put my wedding cakes in the cooler after icing. The airbubbles start to happen an hour or so after the cake has been taken from the cooler.

Any suggestions? Possible solutions? They are so frustrating!

Thanks for listening

3 replies
ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 10:09am
post #2 of 4

It's just the cake underneath the icing coming to temperature and expanding which causes the bubble underneath the icing. HTH!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

Grrr! Blowouts are so annoying!!! I have had only one blowout in the past year or so since I started letting my cakes rest longer before icing. I bake or defrost on Thursday, fill on Thursday night or Friday morning and let rest, uniced, for at least 6 hours. Crumb coat, ice and decorate.

I generally don't refrigerate, but haven't noticed an increase in blowouts when I do refrigerate. I think sometimes the cake demons are a little too frisky. icon_wink.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 4

There was an extensive thread a while back on this, with lots of suggestions and resolutions..........here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=432883&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%