Adding Pudding To Buttercream

Decorating By thedessertdiva Updated 16 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm by briannastreats

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #1 of 25

Is this at all possible? I need a white chocolate buttercream for a dark chocolate cake and I do not have any white chocolate other then 3 boxes of white chocolate pudding, and cannot make it to the store til morning and I need this done tonight. I also have white chcolate powder for coffee (white mochas and such).

Will either of these work to achieve a white chocolete flavor???

icon_confused.gif

24 replies
thedessertdiva Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:32am
post #2 of 25

Anyone? Has anyone ever heard of or done this? Would it need to be a dry box of pudding, or can I make instant and add that into the buttercream? I am really desperate...

HELP!!!

thedessertdiva Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:24am
post #3 of 25

Well, I couldnt wait any longer, didn't get any responses to this thread icon_cry.gif so I added a dry box of white chocolate flavored jello pudding into my buttercream. Added it at the same time as I added my liquid (needed slightly more liquid because of this), mixed it all together and WOW...yummy. It has a very smooth, not overpowering taste and the texture of the overall buttercream idnt change at all. next time I think I will put the pudding in a seperate bowl, add a small amount of 1/2 n 1/2, stir and then add to the buttercream.

I bet this would be great with any flavor...chocolate, lemon, banana cream, french vanilla, caramel, butterscotch, pumpkin spice (durring the holidays)...even the oreo and those specialty flavored puddings. Cant wait to try those out.

Just thought I'd share for those who may be interested

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:43am
post #4 of 25

I just sat down at the computer at 12:39am. I should be in bed but Im addicted to this site. Anyway, Im trying that in the morning icon_biggrin.gif Sounds good.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #5 of 25

This does sound good. I will remember it next time I experiment. Thanks for sharing.

lakaty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakaty Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:11am
post #6 of 25

oooohhhhh! Thanks for the heads-up! I'm looking for white chocolate icing and filling for a cake for Saturday. I'm going to have to try this!

Yummy!
icon_biggrin.gif

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:31am
post #7 of 25

mmm...sounds good i will have to keep it in mind for future experimenting!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:52am
post #8 of 25

I'm glad you went for it and it worked out! I'd have posted a response but I had no idea whatsoever if it would work icon_wink.gif. Cake on, brave soldier.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 5:56am
post #9 of 25

This does sound great. Diva, which buttercream recipe do you use? And did you use an instant pudding or a cooked one.

thedessertdiva Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:06am
post #10 of 25

I used a really wonderful buttercream recipe I got from here...its my favorite, submitted by Brickflor.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5183-0-My-Buttercream-Recipe.html

The pudding was the instant non sugar-free white chocolate pudding (smaller box).

I am going to try it with Banana cream again this week and fold in some sliced bananas and caramel and nilla wafers for a banana cream pie like filling for the WASC I have to make. MMmmm...makes me want to run over to DQ and get the banana cream pie blizzard, dont ask me why.... icon_rolleyes.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 6:22am
post #11 of 25

Hi, I'm so glad you went for it! And thank you so much for sharing this! Can't wait to try it, and OMG, that banana cream filling sound so good, that is my fav pie, can't wait to try it!
Now, just how did you add the pudding to the BC, just the powder little by little? But next time you said you would mix with a little liquid to make it easier, right? Wow, really, thanks! Can't wait to try it!

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:50am
post #12 of 25

thedessertdiva,
Were you still able to decorate with it? I'm new so am just wondering if the pudding made it flatten out or be mushy.
Thanks,
Susie

thedessertdiva Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 25

Think of it as turning a great vanilla buttercream into a decadent chocolate buttercream, you'd add some wonderful belgian cocoa powder and a tad bit more milk, well, this is about the same concept.

I havent put it on the cake as of yet (doing so in a little bit) but so far, it does not appear any different then my other buttercreams have turned out. For the filling of the cake, I ran over to a really great candy store we have in town (Cranberry Sweets) and bought some white chocolate caramel almond bark, and I am going to fold that into a thin'd down version of the BC...too bad I wont be having any of this cake.

randipanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randipanda Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 25

That does sound good, thanks for the experiment!

CakesOnly Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:24am
post #15 of 25

Desertdiva, Please let us know how it turns out. I am kind of new at this, and I have been afraid to experiment with cakes and frostings. But you have given me some courage to try. Thanks.

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:18am
post #16 of 25

That is so fantastic. What a brilliant idea. Thank you so much for sharing. I too would have responded but am such a newbie and would only be guessing.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BigFatMamaKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigFatMamaKat Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:48am
post #17 of 25

I haven't tried adding pudding yet (but it SOUNDS good), but I have used Jello. My daughter wanted a strawberry wedding cake with pink icing. She said the color she liked was the same color as the cake. (I was using the strawberry cake from scratch recipe). I made the crusting cream cheese icing and added one box of strawberry jello to each recipe. It turned it a pretty pink color with a strawberry flavor. Also, both batches of icing I made were the SAME shade of pink.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:05pm
post #18 of 25

I would love an update on how the icing smoothed on the cake. Did it still crust?

This is so exciting!!!:0

My family thinks I am loosing it.

thedessertdiva Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 25

It crusted wonderfully. I was able to smooth it over just fine with my bench scraper. I even pulled a bit out, added a bit more PS and was able to decorate with it. The flavor was great (the company offered me a piece once it was cut into...yum-o) and complimented my chocolate cake.

Hehehehe...I love it when I'm in a jam and can find new ways to teach the old dog some tricks! icon_wink.gif

CakesOnly Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 8:37am
post #20 of 25

Congrates!

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:44pm
post #21 of 25

WOW! Thank you so much for sharing!! Im totally excited to try this out now! And the jello one!!! woo hoo!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #22 of 25

Yep, I have done this too...I wanted the same kind of frosting, white chocolate, so I added the pudding with a little more milk and it was great.
I have used vanilla and coconut cream pudding as well.
icon_wink.gif

CakesOnly Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:37am
post #23 of 25

I tried this with chocolate pudding, but it came out gritty. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't think that I did anything wrong. I made my BC and added the pudding, had to add extra milk , the flavor was great but just gritty. Looking for some suggestions please.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #24 of 25

When you finish icing the cake, can you send me the recipy?

[email protected]

Thanks

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #25 of 25

I've always wondered if that would work too... I'm so glad you tried it, it worked, and you shared!!! Thank you!!!

One other question though, where did find the white chocolate powder?? I needed some a few months back and couldn't find it anywhere...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%