Not Paid!!! Need To Vent! (Long)

Decorating By BeckySue Updated 3 Nov 2006 , 12:58am by dldbrou

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:40pm
post #31 of 59

I also dislike very much the talk about not having enough money, or little work etc... in attempt for them to make us feel sorry and not charge them. I feel sorry for situations like this but I rather they tell me upfront if they cannot pay for a cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 12:53pm
post #32 of 59

I would send your cuz an email with a detailed account of what she owes....list the cakes at the normal price...the cost to serve and then show her how you subtracted a ton of money to come up with the 50 dollars you were charging her...oh and don't forget to charge for the cake balls what do they run?? Like 8 dollars a dozen??? That's worth fifty bucks alone!! I know she didn't order them......but definitely put them on a slip......then add a little note saying you realize she's busy and it may have slipped her mind but right now you're in the hole for having fronted the money for the ingredients!!!

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:28am
post #33 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I would send your cuz an email with a detailed account of what she owes....list the cakes at the normal price...the cost to serve and then show her how you subtracted a ton of money to come up with the 50 dollars you were charging her...oh and don't forget to charge for the cake balls what do they run?? Like 8 dollars a dozen??? That's worth fifty bucks alone!! I know she didn't order them......but definitely put them on a slip......then add a little note saying you realize she's busy and it may have slipped her mind but right now you're in the hole for having fronted the money for the ingredients!!!

Oh I like that idea! Make up a bill charging for everything at regular price, then show a HUGE discount, and the final total of $50.00. Then she will see how much of a discount you really gave her. She might be thinking that all this would only cost $60.00, not that that would make it any better to not pay. I also like the idea of putting it in the mail with a reminder written at the top "in case you forgot", but I would also include "I'll be by next week to pick up payment."

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:35am
post #34 of 59

LOved the cakes look great. So sorry about your situation. I guess you can chalk it up to life experences. But I think you are out of luck. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:50am
post #35 of 59

What a terrible thing to happen to you and a very touchy situation. I would contact her and ask if perhaps the check was lost in the mail as you haven't received it. I would somehow mention what any other customer would have paid for those beautiful cakes. You are very talented and shouldn't be taken advantage of like that.

Melvira, a "craw" is part of a bird's gullet where they digest their food. My mother showed me that when cleaning chickens many many years ago. Don't worry, I get things stuck there quite often and usually end up spilling them out. Nothing like getting things off your chest or "out of your craw" to make a person feel better. Think that's what BeckySue needs to do.

Good luck in collecting your money.

Diane

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:41pm
post #36 of 59

lionladydi: I never knew what a craw was either - icon_eek.gif a little more information than I needed....LOL

Thanks everyone for all the support - It is great to have a place where people understand how I feel. I am still upset, but calm enough to make a "pleasant" phone call to my cousin. I will do that today. The cookies thing just is eating at me..... It was another cousin's husband that donated them. He works for Lofthouse cookies, so it's not like he MADE the 60 dozen cookies himself and then donated to the party. He can take as many boxes as he wants, whenever he wants - one of the perks of the job.... He always brings cookies to parties, reunions, ect.... How my cousin can compare what he did with what I did is beyond me!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:33pm
post #37 of 59

Oh man... you mean they didn't even have to pay anything for the cookies?? *sigh* I figured they probably got them for dirt cheap, but free? Soooooo...*innocent whistle* how does one get a job at Lofthouse? icon_lol.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:47pm
post #38 of 59

Great cakes, sucky situation! I think there are many many many of us who have experienced something like this on more than one occasion. My rule is, immediate family that I see on a really regular basis, my cakes are my gift, no one else can do that for them. But further distant family, (especially since my hubby's is so big) I have to charge them, even though it usually is a reduced price. I guess I would have to ask how badly do you need the money. Because if you are in need of it then you definitely should not feel bad for asking for it. (Not that you should even if you don't.) No reason to put yourself in a bind because of someone else's problem. But perhaps if you don't need it as badly, even as crappy as this whole deal is, you might just let it slide. But I do agree that you should make a point to let her know that because of her current situation you'll let it go this time, but that in the future price and payment will have to be discussed up front. Good luck with this one hun!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 7:57pm
post #39 of 59

Not to sound insensitive....but I can't stop thinking about those lofthouse cookies....mmmmmmmmmmm icon_rolleyes.gif Especially those extra soft ones with pink icing, blue icing, yellow...they just melt in your mouth! mmmm

Is there anyway to hook me up with the cookie man?? I'm sure I would have no trouble finding a place to store those!...mmmmmm... icon_biggrin.gif

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:12pm
post #40 of 59

Don't feel bad! I'm just starting out and I'm already 2 cakes in the hole!! I made the frog cake and a dozen cups in my photo's for my niece's birthday in August and am still waiting to be paid!! Then silly me believed a close friend when she said she'd have the money for her DH 40th birthday cake (1/2 sheet w/FBCTs on it) then she calls me the night before and says the party ran over expense wise can I wait a week!?!?! What am I gonna say no? That was a month ago....instead of payment I get excuses. The real kicker is that my SIL is only paying me $20 for the cake and cupcakes and the other I told her how much my expenses were and told her to pay whatever she could above that!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #41 of 59

I would definitely say something to her. You did a wonderful job and you definitely undercharged! but that is besides the point, I like the idea of sending a bill to her house and then maybe calling in a few days to make sure she got it. But you definitely should not let this one go.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #42 of 59

all i'm going to say is, i love your cakes & good luck

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:46pm
post #43 of 59

Love the cakes. This is why I am no longer doing cakes for family.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:00pm
post #44 of 59

BeckySue

First and foremost your cakes are wonderful and you should be paid for them.

Now - just a quick thought, did you agree on a price before you made the cakes?

I have learned that the price sticker should not come as an after thought..it just might break the bank and ruin friendships. (We really do not know anothers financial situation until it is in the local paper under bankruptcies do we?)

Instead of stewing and wondering, just ask her what she was expecting and maybe you two can come up with a payment plan or something.

irish_angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish_angel Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:24pm
post #45 of 59

As I see it you have two options.
1) Forget about the money and just write it off in order to keep the peace.
0r
2)Give her a set amount of time to pay you or you will take the necassary legal action to collect. If she a good family member then it won't cause bad blood but you always have those who try to get something for nothing and it will cause bad blood.
Then you have to ask yourself do you really want someone who will always try to take advantage of you in your life. It is a question only you can answer. In the future though I would keep a list of cake decorator who you know do good work. Then when a family member asks you to do a cake politely turn them down and hand them the list. Most of the time family and business don't mix. Take it from someone who has been there this is a lose-lose situation. Great Work on the cakes though.

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:08pm
post #46 of 59

What a sticky situation and would I hate to be in your shoes! All I'm going to say though is GREAT JOB on the cakes. I woke my DH up laughing my head off at the quote on the sheet cake. Well done BeckySue!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:28pm
post #47 of 59

tiptop57, according to the first post she told the cousin a ridiculously low price of $50 for both cakes and then threw in cake balls also.

I am learning to set a price and stick with it. That has been the hardest part of doing this so far. I always think I am asking too much and my daughter who does cakes also says I am not charging enough. After figuring up the cost of my supplies, she is right.

Anxious to hear what the outcome of your phone call was BeckySue. After hearing how the cookie donation came to be, I was really cheering for you to get your money!!!

Diane

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:17pm
post #48 of 59

So I called her - no answer - will have to try again later. I did get a message from her daughter on my phone today, saying thanks so much for doing the cakes and what a great job I did. (Trying to butter me up?)

Anyway - the very first call I got from my cousin SHE said "How much would you charge me for two cakes for mom's birthday?" I told her $50 for both cakes. She asked me again when I delivered the first cake - again I said $50 and I told her that I had broke the 2 sheet cakes so I would also throw in the cake balls. She said she would pay when I delivered the 2nd cake.....blah blah blah

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:25pm
post #49 of 59

You're a better person than I am, because I would be on the phone with all the relatives who were willing to listen. I would bet you are not the first relative she has done this to.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:39pm
post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmriga

You're a better person than I am, because I would be on the phone with all the relatives who were willing to listen. I would bet you are not the first relative she has done this to.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

i was just sitting here thinking about how mean i could get, too. it's really sad that she truly isn't as appreciative as she said she was. to bad another get together isn't coming up soon, then if someone says.....oh the cakes you did for so & so were great--you could come back with 'thank you so much, i'm so glad your enjoyed it, to bad that (insert name) didn't" icon_mad.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gif

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 9:57pm
post #51 of 59

Which member of the family is the biggest gossip? Call them for small talk the subject of the birthday party will come up and you can let it slip the cousin didn't pay. Everyone in the family will know that she stiffed you on the cakes. Ha Ha, just a thought. icon_redface.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:08pm
post #52 of 59

I think you have been swindled and robbed. The worst part, it is family that did it to you. Call her and remind her again. Keep calling until she gets sick. How shameless and thougthless !!..

And there you were, faithfully delivering what you promised because you are a decent and thoughtful person. Sorry to hear of this very unpleasant & horrid criminal experience happened to you. Good Karma happens to good people such as you. icon_smile.gif When people do bad things to you, they are really giving you permission to throw a punch at them (not literraly). Just like when someone hits you first, they gave you the permission to hit them back, just twice as hard. Yes, you are a better person, but does not mean you can be always nicey, nicey .. which you are BTW. icon_cool.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 10:25pm
post #53 of 59

gorgeous cakes! I'd do what Molly said, if that doesn't work I'd mail her an invoice with total amount due and write her a little note on it like "please remit payment!"

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 2:43am
post #54 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggyjustjumpin

Which member of the family is the biggest gossip? Call them for small talk the subject of the birthday party will come up and you can let it slip the cousin didn't pay. Everyone in the family will know that she stiffed you on the cakes. Ha Ha, just a thought. icon_redface.gif

OMG, this is a brilliant idea!!! First send the invoice, with "reminder" at the top also saying you will be by next week to pick up payment. Then stop by and try and catch her. I would try a couple times before giving up. Oh, and don't call first, she won't be there. THEN if that fails, call the family member that's the biggest gossip and tell them the whole story. THAT will be karma!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 1:31pm
post #55 of 59

BeckySue
My bad, I miss read your post I guess about the 50 bucks.

I still would not try to create more problems about the situation. She has not been bad mouthing you and most people when they take a defensive stance start with the "lips". She actually has been complimenting you to everyone! Does that really sound like someone who is truly trying to cheat you? Most people when they know they are doing wrong start by telling everyone how awful the cake was, service was, situation was etc. So I would really do my best to set up a payment system with her. She may just be flat broke and embarrassed as he!!, because she created this situation with you. Be kind give her a way out to make it good! And then next time, consider it a lesson learned and get 50 percent of the money up front.

Edited to add: People act awful and bad mouth to justify their actions not to pay a bill....

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 26 Oct 2006 , 6:20pm
post #56 of 59

Geee, how much kinder can you get ? icon_rolleyes.gif

It is always the person owed the money to who is always put in the
awful situation not to mention inconvenient. And it shouldn't be that way. Maybe her thoughts were,
if she keeps complimenting you, you might just say forget
the whole thing and consider it free. icon_razz.gif

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm
post #57 of 59

What a horrible situation to be in! Has it gotten any better?

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 2 Nov 2006 , 5:15pm
post #58 of 59

Well, I am happy to see that " I " am not the only one out here who doesn't get paid for doing a cake(s)......
It's a sad sad thing, when relatives feel it's "ok" to take advantage of your talent and feel it's ok, to ignore the fact that payment is expected. You put alot of time and effort into your decorating, yet alone, buying the ingredients etc...
I would also make a "friendly" call to remind her of her obligation that she was to pay you.....and if she stills doesn't pay,,, I would just chalk it up as a learning tool and next time she calls or asks you to do cake(s) for her,, just tell her you can't do cakes for her.....then when she if she asks why not, tell her because last time you did her a favor, you got pushed off the plank......
When my relatives ask me to do a cake for them,, I tell them I need payment up front.....I also tell them, it's not personal,, it's business......I am not ashamed in telling them,,,,, no money.....no cake........

Good luck.....let us know how it turns out.......(by the way,, saw your sheet cake with the inscription you put,,, that was funny).........

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 12:58am
post #59 of 59

Does she have an email address? If yes, send her an email with the bill. Tell her you charged her just for the supplies and that you must be reimbursed immediately. She might have caller I D and that is why she does not answer her phone. You also need to send her a bill via USPS. If she has not paid you by now, she isn't planning on it. Why not talk to her daughter and inform her that her mother owes you money and ask her to intervene.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%