Can You Help Me Price These Cakes?

Decorating By amyfj1 Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 11:46am by wan

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 10

The daisy cake is a double layered 10" square strawberry cake with strawberry buttercream. The daisies are fondant. The cat cake is a double layered 10" square red velvet cake with cream cheese filling and icing, covered in fondant. The yarn ball is a yellow cake with vanilla buttercream icing covered in fondant. The cats are made of fondant also. I made these for my best friend as freebies and now I have people asking how much I would charge to make them. Please, help me price these fairly! Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

9 replies
Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:06am
post #2 of 10

Ummm, I'm going to take a stab at this but I haven't sold any yet..so this is based on observation the boards...

Let's see both are about 50 servings [per Wilton chart]....priced at low, low end of $1.50 [just for an idea] would be $75...then you add in for fondant....would you charge more for your fillings....etc.

Just for a ballpark idea....and a bump up for other to chime in!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 1:55am
post #3 of 10

these are my prices, my best suggestion is to call local bakeries (wal-mart, target, and grocery stores do NOT count) my serving sizes are 1"x2"x4" (I sell cake as a desert, not a meal, if they want a meal then they need to order more cake)

10" Square double layer, strawberry buttercream is additional cost with my recipes as I use fresh strawberries, since fondant decorations are minimal I would not charge extra. $2.25/serving 50 servings
Total: $112.50 This is includes in town delivery also.

10" Square with ball cake. Red Velvet is a scratch recipe I use along with the icing, and fondant is also an increased cost. $3.50/serving 50 servings for square cake, 10 servings for yarn. I am assuming the yarn cake is the wilton ball pan - or this is what I would use so this is how I will figure it. I also consider the ball a 3D cake which has a starting price of $3 per serving, with fondant it take it up to $3.50/serving also. total of 60 servings.
Total: $210.00 This includes in town delivery also.

HTH, now Another way a lot of people start figuring out how to charge is to add up the cost of all of your ingredients and multiply times 3. I started this way and then i did a complete break down of ALL of my recipes along with my time to go to the store, bake, etc... and figured out how much I wanted to make per hour... This is approximately how I came up with my serving rates. (well and a lot of help from others on these boards)

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 12:16am
post #4 of 10

Leily and Sandi4tpc,

Thanks so much for replying. My Wilton instructor said to charge $25 for the daisy and $50 for the cat cake. I couldn't believe she quoted such low prices. I'm not really sure why she did this but I knew it was too low. Thanks again for your input, it helps a lot!

ErinK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinK Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:17am
post #5 of 10

ohmyheck, I'd have you make me a million daisy cakes for $25 and six million cat ones for $50... ok, maybe I don't have the budget for that, but lots and lots.

I don't really know how much cakes should cost, but WAY more than that. I'd think like 150 to 200% of what a same size grocery store cake would be right?

Anyhow these girls seem to have good advice for you. Good luck

ps, my Wilton instructor was talking about making a way cute guitar cake for someone and she said she was charging $30, she said it like it was a lot. I was floored, I'd think way more than $30! HECK I'd charge $30 and I'm not very good! hehe.

ErinK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinK Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:17am
post #6 of 10

oh ps, they are very cute cakes!

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 2:32am
post #7 of 10

leily - What would you charge for a double-layered 1/4 or 1/2 sheet cake. I've only been charging $25 and $50 for "basic" cakes and now I'm thinking that's not enough. EEK.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:24am
post #8 of 10

I charge $1.50 per serving for sheet cakes and $2.50 for stacked and wedding cakes. Fondant is more and fondant decorations Depending on the amount ) are extra..Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:39am
post #9 of 10

I would charge a minimum of $50 for the daisy cake and a minimum of $75 for the cat cake. They are both great!

wan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wan Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 11:46am
post #10 of 10

HI, I LIVE IN PR. I WOULD CHARGE 55-65 FOR THE DAISY'S CAKE AND FOR THE CAT'S CAKE $150

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%