Rum Cake Question!!

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm by sugar_rush

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hey, my DH's Birthday is coming up. His favorite drink is Rum and Coke. I found a recipe for Rum cake on here but what frosting would go best with it? It's a yellow cake with rum extract and pumpkin pie spices. I'm thinking cream cheese but the cake will have to travel. Would it be okay not to be refriderated? Help??

TIA, Anna

6 replies
i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 4:45am
post #2 of 7

How long will it need to be out of the fridge? If it's only a couple of hours, you should be fine (as long as it's not extremely hot - keep the a/c on in the car).

Bec

sugar_rush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 7

I made a rum cake this weekend with coconut buttercream and toasted coconut on top. It was delicious and disappeared in a day!

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

Hey Anna

My husbands favourite drink is Captain & Coke (Captain Morgan Rum). But he doesn't like the CM Spiced Gold rum which is all we get here! He says he doesn't drink perfume. Bummer for him!

Joy

boricua_mami75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boricua_mami75 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 7

Anna31,

Which recipe are you referencing? The coconut buttercream sounds delicious.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

For my PR Rum Cake I use a Rum Glaze poured over it (bundt cake).

sugar_rush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

Coconut Buttercream Frosting

4 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pinch table salt
1 pound unsalted butter (4 sticks), each stick cut into 6 pieces, softened, but still cool
1/4 cup cream of coconut (if you don't have that, use sweetened condensed milk + coconut extract to tasteâthis is what I used, and it worked great)
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup, or more, sweetened shredded coconut

While cupcakes are cooling, spread shredded coconut on rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until shreds are a mix of golden brown and white, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times. Cool to room temperature. Be vigilant when toasting the coconutâit can go from golden to burnt very quickly.

For the Buttercream: Combine whites, sugar, and salt in bowl of standing mixer; set bowl over saucepan containing 1 1/2-inches of barely simmering water. Whisk constantly until mixture is opaque and warm to the touch and registers about 120 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 2 minutes.

Transfer bowl to mixer and beat whites on high speed with whisk attachment until barely warm (about 80 degrees) and whites are glossy and sticky, about 7 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-high and beat in butter 1 piece at a time. (Don't worry if it looks like the mixture is breaking or curdling, it will be fine.) Beat in cream of coconut/sweetened condensed milk and coconut and vanilla extracts. Stop mixer and scrape bottom and sides of bowl. Continue to beat at medium-high speed until well-combined, about 1 minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%