Need Help Asap!! Bowl Of Salsa Cake

Decorating By stormy2500 Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm by buffim

stormy2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormy2500 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

My daugther is making a nacho cake for the fair...but we also want to make a bowl of salsa to go along with it on the side.

I think we can just use a tall round cake and hollow it out to make the bowl...then frost it.

But how do we do the salsa? We have already made a bunch of gumpaste tomatoes and will make some gumpaste green peppers...but how do we make the liquid? I was kind of thinking filling the "bowl" with piping gel with the gumpaste tomatoes/peppers mixed in it.

Any ideas??????

8 replies
beckyatkinson1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckyatkinson1964 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 9

I think the piping gel is the way to go, don't forget the onions, salsa would not be good with out it. Would love to see the pictures.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 9

I think red piping gel would work. I would assume you could also use strawberry or seedless raspberry jelly/jam. I'd throw in some chopped mint for the "cilantro" too! thumbs_up.gif

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 9

Instead of hollowing out a cake, I'd use 1/2 half of a ball/dome shaped cake (flip upside down to resemble the bowl) and then cover the flat part with red fondant for the salsa. You could make little pieces for chunks of the onion, tomato, peppers, etc. Hope that helps!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

How about chopped strawberries.....or even those marachino cherries & candied citrus peels that you can get for baking in both the bright red & green. Those would both look like salsa and still be sweet for a cake! icon_smile.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki97np

Instead of hollowing out a cake, I'd use 1/2 half of a ball/dome shaped cake (flip upside down to resemble the bowl) and then cover the flat part with red fondant for the salsa. You could make little pieces for chunks of the onion, tomato, peppers, etc. Hope that helps!

I agree with Kiki97np, use the 1/2 ball, you might want to pull out a bit of the cake and either use red fondant or red BC and then go with your tomatoes, peppers and some gel, that way it's not all gel and stands up better in a show.

usually fruits either fresh, frozen and canned are not allowed in shows.

Good Luck.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with the half ball flippped over to make the bowl, and I wouldn't hollow it out either. You've already gotten some great ideas for the salsa, but I would add in coconut for the onion substitute!

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 9

How about cutting pieces of gummy candies (red, yellow, green) for the tomato and pepper chunks in the piping gel or jam for the sauce part.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 9

I like the idea above of the 1/2 ball turned upside down.

Another idea might be jello for the salsa mixed with your 'tomatoes', 'onions' etc. Though the piping gel might look more real.

Good luck, can't wait to see the pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%