Good Tasting Fondant?

Decorating By froufroucakes Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 12:23pm by froufroucakes

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 25

I see all these beautifully done cakes all done in fondant. However, most people don't like the taste of fondant and request buttercream icing. Is there a trick to good-tasting fondant that you all are using? I've tried flavoring it with candy flavoring... haven't noticed a big change in taste.

24 replies
TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 25

Satin Ice the only way to go

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 25

I use Sarin Ice and sometimes flavor it. I have never had any complaints about Satin Ice.

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 25

You can buy better stuff at cake supply stores or order Satin Ice or even make your own MMF. They taste sooo good. The Wilton stuff doesn't even compare. The Wilton fondant tastes like garbage! You can order Satin Ice on line from www.intotheoven.com they have great customer service and good prices and ship out to you quickly.

Hope this helps!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 25

Got my first 2 lb tub of Satin Ice yesterday. Haven't used it on a cake yet, but couldn't wait to open the package and taste it. SOOOOO many people talk about how great the taste is. I have to say I didn't like the smell when I opened the bag. Smelled like playdoh. Tasted it, and it was OK, but I thought I liked the taste of MMF better. It may be a different story when I roll it out. It was super smooth though; much smoother than MMF, so I know it will be a dream to work with. I ordered red and blue to make a flag cake for Labor Day. When I have tried to make dark colors with MMF it seems to change it's texture past a certain point.
I am also trying Choco Pan White Chocolate for the white stripe. Loved the way that tasted. On the package it says it can be rolled thinner than regular fondant. Can't wait to try it!

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 25

There's another thread going on right now about FONDX. From what people are saying over there, it tastes even better than Satin Ice. It is also moisture resistant, so it is able to be refrigerated without any problems with condensation. Lots of people who have previously used Satin Ice have switched to Fondx. I'm interested in trying it myself. Here are links to a couple of threads about it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-16762-fondx.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-12170-fondx.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-474283.html

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 25

I have used Satin Ice, FondX, MMF & ChocoPan and as far as taste I would say they are all great. I have been using ChocoPan lately and REALLY like it. It tastes wonderful and is not as sugary sweet as the others I have tried. It does roll thinner so you can use less which is nice. You do have to work some powdered sugar into because since it is white chocolate it is softer than Satin Ice or FondX. Comparing Satin Ice & FondX, I prefer FondX because it is easier to work with and I think has a better taste. Plus the fact that you can refrigerate it is really nice. I did use MMF for a while but I have found that I could not get a consistant result and it seemed to have a wierd texture, not smooth kind of pockmarked looking. For me, it is just easier to find a good premade fondant than to try to mess with making my own. I think www.intotheoven.com has all three brands of fondant mentioned. Or I know Satin Ice and FondX give free samples if you email the company.
HTH,
HeatherMari

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 25

I've used Marshmallow fondant with tastes good and is pretty easy to make and use.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmansmum

There's another thread going on right now about FONDX. From what people are saying over there, it tastes even better than Satin Ice. It is also moisture resistant, so it is able to be refrigerated without any problems with condensation. Lots of people who have previously used Satin Ice have switched to Fondx. I'm interested in trying it myself. Here are links to a couple of threads about it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-16762-fondx.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-12170-fondx.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-474283.html

I much prefer the taste of Fondx. I do not like Satin Ice flavor at all. I actually prefer the Wilton with the combination of orange and almond flavoring in it. For chocolate, the Choco pan is tops.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 25

I make my own! So far everybody likes it! I have even converted my WMI!! icon_lol.gif

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 25

I a newbie, can someone explain what Choco Pan is? thanks! icon_smile.gif

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 25

Have you any of you tried the black fondant by sweet inspiration? It is chocolate rolled fondant and it smells heavenly and it tastes just as good; it's like eating a tootsie roll. My favorite. It's freezer and refrigerator stable. The shelf life is about 6 months

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:32am
post #13 of 25

Sunnigirl, ChocoPan is a brand of fondant as it Satin Ice (if I'm wrong, correct me). Most professional cake decorators use either one. I haven't tried these but have made my own marshmallow fondant and liked it better than the Wilton stuff. It is relatively easy to make and it seems to behave for me like the Wilton fondant. I covered 2 cakes that I took to a local retirement home that my MIL lives in and the recipient and my MIL all loved the way they looked. I think I'll stick with the MMF for a while.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:38am
post #14 of 25

Des anyone know if the Satin Ice recipe on this site is the same as the one that you have to order. I have never used satin ice(kind of spendy for me). icon_confused.gif

sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 25

Thanks for the info LilyLou,
I have made marshmallow fondant and like it ok but wasn't crazy about the taste. I used it for cookies, I saw a new recipe on CC for a version of it with some flavors added that I may try. Might eventually try the choco pan. icon_smile.gif

LaTasha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaTasha Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 25

I am hearing so much about this Satin Ice Fondant and others that are better than the regular fondants. Well I would just like to know is there a reciepe for these. If so does anyone know where to find it.

Thanks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:31pm
post #17 of 25

Unfortunately there is no recipes for satin ice, fondex or choco-pan, they are all premade fondants that you can purchase online or possibly locally if you have a cake supply store.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 25

LaTasha, there is no recipe for Satin Ice since it is a commercially made fondant, but there are recipes on this site for homemade fondant and MMF (marshmallow fondant). I hear Toba Garrett's fondant recipe is pretty good, but I'm not sure if it is posted here on this site.

froufroucakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 2:35am
post #19 of 25

Thanks so much for all your advice! I have used Wilton and FondX and I find they both taste and smell like playdough.... can't bring myself to eat it. I will try the ChocoPan... Thanks!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 8:32am
post #20 of 25

toba garrett's fondant is awesome...i couldn't stop picking at it as i was rolling it out. it's easy to work with and the taste is out of this world! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

froufroucakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:22pm
post #21 of 25

Do you have a recipe for Toba Garrett's fondant? Or is it a pre-made fondant that you buy?

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #22 of 25

I have tried Fondex, Sweet Inspirations White Chocolate, Chocopan, My favorite and also the one my customers like the best is Pettinice, when flavored with Loran Cheesecake flavoring, it tastes just like buttercream. Great stuff, very easy to work with and out of all the fondants it is also the favorite of everyone in all of our classes.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:34am
post #23 of 25

For home made I think Toba's is the best. The recipe is on here I think. If not pm me I'll give it to you.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 3:40am
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by froufroucakes

Do you have a recipe for Toba Garrett's fondant? Or is it a pre-made fondant that you buy?

Toba's fondant is here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2127-Toba-Garretts-fondant.html

I made it with a mixture of butter, vanilla and almond flavoring (equal parts of each). I made a onesie for a baby shower cake and since then I have just been picking at it whenever I have a sweet craving. It is more than half gone!! icon_redface.gif

I highly recommend it--it is delicious and it is easy to make and much less messy than MMF. It's also not chewy like MMF.

froufroucakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:23pm
post #25 of 25

Thank you so much... I'm going to give Toba Garrett's recipe a try and also pick up a tub of pettinice fondant. I don't know where I'd be without all your help. I appreciate it so much!

I made the swiss meringue buttercream last night to go on my cake before the fondant.... love it so far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%