Airbrush Gun Vs. Spray

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 20 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm by cigarHerb

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a 3d pumpkin cake but don't want to buy an airbrush gun can i spray with color spray and still get the same results i don't want to color my icing orange, but i don't know how the spray works does it taste bad?

6 replies
sassycgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycgirl Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 7

I am very new to cake decoratating and need to make some quick and easy cupcakes for my neices fall fest tonight.. I purchased the orange spray and used cream cheese icing and just light misted them... I have to admit they turned out great... They look really professional.. I then added sprinkles and a spider ring...

Also my boyfriend HAD to taste one last night and he could not tell that there was anything differant... I love the spray.. Planning to buy more tonight for some breast cancer cupcakes I have to make this weekend..

notjustcake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

thank you i guess even if its not perfect i really dont want to buy a gun

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 7

I would think that the airbrush would give you better "control" over where the spray goes.

I'm not familiar with the spray can stuff. Does it have a tapered nozzle for detailed spraying or does it just cover a large area quickly?

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 7

For my pumpkin cake, I colored my icing orange, but it was very light - not bright enough. I sprayed it with the Wilton spray can and it worked GREAT! I really like it for large areas where you don't need alot of detail.
LL

notjustcake Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 7

your cake is cool thanks

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 20 Oct 2006 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 7

I cant tell there is any taste to either method. The airbrush is for detail work, the spray cans will allow you to large general area. You can use a template with the spray cans to help control where the spray goes. An airbrush will allow you to do hairline details. The cheapest airbrushes I have found are at Dixieart.com I would recommend the Paasche VSR90. You get the airbrush, hose, extra needle, 2 color cups, and a nice case. All for $65 shipped. The extra needle allows you to change the size of your spray.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%