Need Suggestions For Cake/filling/icing Flavor Combinations

Decorating By Nalis Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 2:00pm by AmandaLeigh

Nalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nalis Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 16

HEEEELP......I'm stuck in a vanilla/chocolate rut and need some help. What is your favorite cake/filling/icing combination? What flavor combo really knocks your family/friends/clients socks off? Thanks in advance for your suggestions! icon_razz.gif

15 replies
BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 16

I started using the liquid coffee creamers in my cake batters and everyone loves them! I now do a vanilla cake batter and add in the Caramel Hazelnut coffee creamers and they go crazy for it. thumbs_up.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 16

One of my favorites is a scratch butter cake (very moist) with fresh lime filling & raspberry buttercream. It is delish!!!

Bec

Nalis Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 16

Bake Queen, how much of the coffee creamer do you use in your cake batter? Do you replace the milk or other liquid or do you just add it like a flavoring 2 or 3 tsp?
i_heart_pastry thanks for idea of lime filling. I do have a recipe for lemon curd, but I've never tried a lime filling. And I do love raspberry!
Thanks!

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 16

Nalis,

I like the intense flavor of the creamer so I replace some of the milk by adding 3/4 to 1 cup of creamer to each cake batter.

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 16

I love adding extracts to my recipes too. I have quite a collection of them.

The coffee creamer idea sounds wonderful. Especially now that I've seen flavors like chocolate raspberry and vanilla caramel.

here is a mocha dream cake from the coffeemate website:

http://www.verybestcoffee.com/Recipes/RecipeDetails.aspx?id=105078

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 6:11am
post #7 of 16

Have been searching all over this Site for a good frosting/filling for WASC cake -- just for a Wow cake to bring to work to celebrate all my Fair ribbon winnings icon_biggrin.gif . Am bringing in My Hershey BakeOff Blue ribbon cake, but didn't want to bringin 2...well, because of the cost. (Am feeling a little broke icon_redface.gif )

so can someone tell me where the thread is on different flavors or does someone have a good frosting to use with WASC? I guess I COULD use just regular BC, but it's kinda boring next to the Hersey. icon_lol.gif

Nalis Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 16

GI sorry I can't help you with filling recipes, but just a suggestion why don't you use a raspberry and/or raspberry BC filling for your WASC cake. Or Chocolate AND raspberry filling?? Just a suggestion. I also wouldn't mind it if you wanted to share your blue ribbon Hershey cake recipe with me icon_wink.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 16

I created a cinnamon-hazelnut filling that works wonderful with white/french vanilla cakes. I also altered a recipe here and made a whipped WHITE chocolate-Rum ganache I've used for filling. I love unwhipped ganaches for filling, actually icon_smile.gif.

GI Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:02am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalis

GI sorry I can't help you with filling recipes, but just a suggestion why don't you use a raspberry and/or raspberry BC filling for your WASC cake. Or Chocolate AND raspberry filling?? Just a suggestion. I also wouldn't mind it if you wanted to share your blue ribbon Hershey cake recipe with me icon_wink.gif

I'll send it to you!
Just got done with physical-torture...

Nalis Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 16

GI I got the recipe thanks! I can't wait to taste it!
Physical torture??? I can only imagine you are referring to working out????

GI Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalis

GI I got the recipe thanks! I can't wait to taste it!
Physical torture??? I can only imagine you are referring to working out????

Sorry, didn't see this... No, not a workout! I wish##!!!

Physical Therapy. My whole right shoulder, elbow, upper back, neck -- totally out of whack. I normally work out all the time, but haven't been able to since June. PT -- Physical torture icon_biggrin.gif And yes, the PT people know that is what I call them! icon_lol.gif

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 2 Sep 2007 , 10:53pm
post #13 of 16

I just made the banana cake out of the WBH book and filled it with French custard and iced it with chocolate glaze. It is - hands down - the cake that I have received the most rave reviews on. I had a piece myself and it was completely fabulous.

I also love yellow cake with a whipped chocolate orange ganache filling (sort of like a jaffa cake - yummy) and chocolate cake with cookies and cream filling.

White coconut cake with key lime filling is fabulous in the summer time (or those winter days when you need to be reminded of summer!).

Nalis Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks allie73! Those are great flavor combos. I especially like the chocolate orange ganache. My mom and I tried a chocolate orange candy and loved it icon_lol.gif

NTxWriter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NTxWriter Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 16

Chocolate orange does sound good! I love chocolate and lemon fillings too.

AmandaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:00pm
post #16 of 16

I was messing around with some fillings and came up with a great chocolate raspberry filling.

I used my grandmothers homemade raspberry preserves and added a bit of water. I put that in a pan on the stove for a little bit to thin it out. then I strained it into a bowl to get out the seeds then put it back on the stove. I added 2 oz of unsweetened baking chocolate and a bit of powdered sugar. After that melts, put it into a bowl and cool. Add a bit of heavy cream and whip it up to thicken it. It tastes spectacular! Now I just need to figure out what kind of cake to pair it with icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%