Wilton Courses

Decorating By Cake_Princess Updated 17 Jul 2005 , 3:07pm by KATE39

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:07am
post #1 of 7

I finally decided to take the Wilton Class and I started from Course 1 so that I will have all the certificates. Well I am sure you guys all read about my instructor not showing up on the 1st night.

I had to do 2 classes in one week so we Would be on time. Well I got there 30 minutes before the schedule start time. She was speaking to another instuctor about the cake that she was going to use that night. She looked over at me and seemed a little embarassed. Turns out the cake was stuck in the pan.

So during class, she made the comment that she had to get a Cake from the grocery store. One of The other students asked her why. She said, "Oh I buttered my pan but i forgot to flour it. So i said to her I never use butter when i grease my pans. She said to me so what do you use? i told her shortening. Her reply was, "Oh I never heard of using shortening for greasing pans before." It was at that point that i wondered if i made the right decision to take the classes.

Anyway, later I went home and and i Was reading the Course one book. It clearly stated that one should never use butter to grease pans. Makes me wonder if she even bother to read The material on the whole she does not seem to be too knowledgeable.

Princess

6 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:14am
post #2 of 7

I think I'd be afraid to go to anymore classes! icon_lol.gif Shouldn't baking a cake and getting it out of the pan correctly be a very basic skill before teaching those classes.....maybe I'm being too critical......just seems to me if folks are going to spend thier time and money to learn a craft, the person teaching it should be worth that time and money! I just feel it's unfair to the students! Okay, I'll get down off my soap box!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:28am
post #3 of 7

Princess, I'd ask for my money back for the course lol .. that's just terrible!! one of the prerequistites to become a Wilton instructor is you're suppose to have taken all 3 of their courses.. it sounds like if she took them, #1, didn't read the books, #2 possibly didn't attend the classes or #3, had a bad instructor herself, or #4, didn't try to learn a darn thing lol

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 2:52am
post #4 of 7

Hi Princess...

I very recently had issues with a Wilton Instructor as well... (read http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-4484.html if you like). I called to complain to Wilton about the competency of some of these instructors and how they are not screened well. The customer service employee I spoke with told me that they have a lot of complaints and a high turnover rate where these instructors are concerned.

I agree with ntertayneme, go ahead and get your money back. And maybe someone can point you to another store that has a better track record of it's instructors. (I'm heading to Joann for my classes. While there I mentioned some of my troubles with Michaels, and their "Class Co-ordinator (yup, that ACTUALLY have someone responsible for accuracy of their classes!) begged me to tell her what do to that my "instructor" did wrong, so as to not make the same mistakes. Now that's what I like to hear!) icon_smile.gif

I think it's kinda funny that her cake wouldn't come out though icon_biggrin.gif Had to laugh!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 7

LOL You should have seen the poor cake. The top was All falling off and crumbly. I felt so bad for her but I Was shocked that she does not know butter will usually cause a cake to stick to a pan.

Her instuctor is one of The top decorators in this area. I was kind of hoping to get her. No such luck. I will try to get her for the fondant class though. I feel bad for the beginners in the class. I have a bit more experience having taught my self most of what I know by buying books and practicing. Also by reading All the fantastic tips on various Cake forums.

Yes Wilton needs to screen these instructors better. Seems to me they only care about lining their pockets. (Class fees.. oh you need to buy this Wilton product for class... you need to buy that for for class - in return we will give you an inferior instructor- Thanks for business come again) thumbsdown.gif

Princess

P.S. This is the only place in this area offering the courses

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 7

I think the hiring process for Wilton needs to be re-vamped.. Seems like they will hire just anyone that will apply..
Good Luck To you!
~Sweet~ =0)

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 17 Jul 2005 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 7

I WOULD DEFINATELY COMPLAIN TO WILTON ABOUT THAT INSTRUCTOR AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK. THEY SHOULD BE PAYING YOU INSTEAD OF HER. GOOD LUCK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%