Crisco Or Confectioner's Sugar

Decorating By jdhelbling Updated 25 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm by canoewoman

jdhelbling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdhelbling Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 20

What is the best thing to use when rolling out fondant - shortening or confectioner's sugar?

19 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 20

I much prefer crisco. Since I started using it I never have a sticking problem! icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 20

I pefer CS. Why not try each and see what works better for you?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 20

I use shortening. It doesn't stick and doesn't get those crackly dried out edges.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 20

I use Crisco on my hands when working with fondant. I also use the silicone work mats which help tremendously!!!!

VICKY_V Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VICKY_V Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 20

i use crisco when i have to cover a cake. and cs for smaller things

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 20

I use lots of crisco and a silpat. keeps the fondant or gumpaste pliable

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:01pm
post #8 of 20

Crisco. No crackingicon_wink.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 20

I prefer crisco, not nonstick spray (had to learn that the hard way!) Powdered sugar tends to dry out my fondant and gives it cracked edges. The crisco, like posted earlier, helps keep it pliable.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 20

I do both. I've never had the problem with my fondant cracking if use powdered sugar, what I don't like with it is the sugar makes my fondant look dusty sometimes. But what I don't like about crisco is that it can make my fondant a little too wet, if that makes sense. So it just depends on what I'm doing.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:41pm
post #11 of 20

Cornstarch - it brushes away very easily.

jdhelbling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdhelbling Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks! I didn't think about the cornstarch. I was worried about the CS muting the color of the fondant and about the Crisco making the fondant look too shiny. I think I'll try the Crisco and the cornstarch, too, and see what works best. I am only using fondant for the decorations on the cake. I do have a silicon mat so that should help.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 20

I use cornstarch all the time. Never had a problem with it sticking to the countertop at all and it brushes off the fondant easily.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #14 of 20

Not to cause any issues but I'm using FondX right now for a wedding cake I'm doing this week and on the instructions it states not to use cornstarch, only (and I can't think of the exact wording right now) a quality brand shortening and powdered sugar for kneading it. Haven't tried corn starch so I don't know why this is on the label.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 20

with some fondants corn starch will turn it into dry crumbles. I use a little bit of PS and a roul pat

canoewoman Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 5:10pm
post #16 of 20

I should have stated that I use cornstarch for the homemade fondant that I use (mmf, Rhondas Ultimate, European). I never have purchased fondant so is good to know about only using ps or crisco for those.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:06pm
post #17 of 20

powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, but pure cornstarch tastes nasty, so if you end up with some on the underside of the fondant that ends up on your cake and someone can get a bite of it.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:14pm
post #18 of 20

For those of you who use cornstarch, I've used it and can't get it off the fondant. It actually ruined my cake because it looked all dusty. How do you guys get it off, what am I doing wrong? I prefer using a powder because shortening makes it too stretchy for me.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhelbling

What is the best thing to use when rolling out fondant - shortening or confectioner's sugar?

I use a small amount of Crisco. If you use too much it will make the fondant too soft and instead of cracks it will tend to tear easily.

If my fondant is a tad too shiny for my liking I take a small amount of icing sugar and i dust it on to the fondant covered cake. The I rub it in in a circular motion. This takes the shine away and you won't have to worry about powder on the finish.

canoewoman Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 2:51pm
post #20 of 20

PURE CORNSTARCH HAS NO TASTE whatsoever so I don't know how it can taste nasty. Adding more ps to the fondant, which is sweet enough already, tends to make it OVERLY sweet. Crisco tends to soften the fondant more since it is what you would add if the fonant was too hard and it makes it REALLY stick to the countertop. To get cornstarch off of fondant the trick is to not use too much of it. Don't flip the fondant when rolling. Keep wiping the cornstarch off of your hands and use a powder brush (thick bushy one) to lighty brush away any cornstarch that is on the fondant. I have never had a problem with cornstarch staying on the fondant and prefer it to any other methods mentioned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%