Covering Cakes In Fondant

Decorating By melmcgill Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 4:34am by tobycat

melmcgill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmcgill Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:31am
post #1 of 7

For those of you who work with fondant what steps do you take before covering your cake with fondant. I recently did a two tiered cake, both with fillings, and covered them with fondant (the football cake in photos). When I was covering the cakes with fondant the top layer of the cake was moving around while I was smoothing it out. When I was done the cake was lopsided, and had a big air bubble in the back. The front looked ok but the back looked BAD!!! I didn't overfill the cake, and I leveled my cakes before I stacked them. I am wondering if maybe I should have given it some time to set up first? I guess I was just wondering if there were any tricks or good advice out there for working with fondant especially when it comes to covering the cakes?? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:35am
post #2 of 7

After applying BC, I slightly chill the cake before covering with fondant. That gives me a firmer base to work with and makes it easier to apply the fondant.

melmcgill Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 3:45am
post #3 of 7

Miriel - How long do you chill the cake for? What about the air bubbles?

miriel Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:00am
post #4 of 7

I chill mine until the BC is firm to the touch, about 20-30 minutes.

The air bubbles may have been a result of the cake settling or air trapped during torting/layering. To prevent this, I usually crumbcoat the night before, let the cake settle, and finish up the final coat of BC and fondant the day after.

melmcgill Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:12am
post #5 of 7

Do you chill it after the crumb coat? Sorry for all the questions, but thank you so much for all the help.

miriel Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:25am
post #6 of 7

I just leave it covered at room temp overnight after crumb coat. Then the next day, apply final coat of BC, chill then apply fondant.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #7 of 7

I chill mine after the crumb coat and give the cake at least 1/2 hour to settle. If you don't give it time to settle, it can have an air pocket in it that can cause a bubble on the side of the cake.

S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%