White Cake, Please Help!

Decorating By crazycakes2007 Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 4:01am by ceshell

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 34

Forgive me for posting here, but I was hoping for many responses and the recipe section was slower...

What is your favorite white cake? I need to start testing for a small 3 tiered white wedding cake with raspberry filling coming up. I'm looking for the most moist option. Many seem too dense (like me)!

1) Shubox coconut cake (most say it's not too coconutty)

2) Whimsical Bake House White Butter Cake

3) Cake Bible White Velvet Butter Cake

4) others?

Raspberry buttercream or raspberry mousse? (worried the mousse will be too soft for a tiered cake) Frosted in IMBC.

Thanks to hmoffett for saying her favorite is the White on White Buttermilk cake from the Pastry Queen Cookbook by Rebecca Rather icon_biggrin.gif I know it's weird that I don't have a great white cake recipe in my pocket, but I'm so partial to chocolate and carrot. icon_redface.gif

Thank you so much for your time!

Cheryl
Crazy Cakes

33 replies
RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 34

I use Martha Stewart's white cake recipe and add a box of white chocolate instant pudding mix. I don't k now if I can post it but I'll see if I can find the link...It's actually a cupcake recipe but people really like it and it works well with fruit fillings...long link....

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=5f184f93c8901110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=white%20cupcakes&rsc=ns2006_m3

I've heard that the cake bible recipes are a little on the dry side but I haven't tried any of them as of yet. The MS white cake was chosen by my first bride!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 34

Hi

The Shubox cake is a really good cake - but while the coconut flavor is mellow it is there - just be aware of this.

WBH white cake is good - i will make it again

Cake Bible white cake was good - but doubt if i make it again.

Then there is always the WASC!

crazycakes2007 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 34

RRGibson, do you add the dry mix and nothing else? Thanks!
ZAKIA6, sorry to be daft, what is WASC? Thanks too for your time! Please, others comment... I would like to test several.

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 34

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream...it is TO DIE FOR!!!! So so so good. It is in the recipe section. It is THE ONLY white cake I make now...It is soooo good. I made it with raspberry filling. I torted the layers and then put the filling in...it was pretty too!! For the filling I used a jar of seedless red raspberry jelly and mixed in a package of raspberry jello (dry)...be sure to put a dam around the edge of your cake about 1" in so it doesn't seep out. I also put a thin, very thin, coat of buttercream on the cake and then the dam, then pour a thin layer of the filling. It is soooo good!!

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy120

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream...it is TO DIE FOR!!!! So so so good. It is in the recipe section. It is THE ONLY white cake I make now...It is soooo good. I made it with raspberry filling. I torted the layers and then put the filling in...it was pretty too!! For the filling I used a jar of seedless red raspberry jelly and mixed in a package of raspberry jello (dry)...be sure to put a dam around the edge of your cake about 1" in so it doesn't seep out. I also put a thin, very thin, coat of buttercream on the cake and then the dam, then pour a thin layer of the filling. It is soooo good!!

I too need a raspberry filling. Won't the jello make the jelly grainy? I am going to the store tomorrow to collect my ingredients. Thanks for the help.

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 34

I too really like the WASC cake and there are many variations on it as well. I made the WBH white butter cake and it was very tasty! Good luck.

crazycakes2007 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 34

I found the white almond sour cream cake, and it has cake mix in it? Is that the one? Thank you, though, I need a scratch cake... The WBH is one I will try. I appreciate hearing about that the Shubox cake has coconut there... I won't do that one. Thanks for comments! <<<Cheryl

RRGibson Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:36am
post #9 of 34

Yes, just the dry pudding mix. I add it to my dry ingredients.

RRGibson Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #10 of 34

Yes, just the dry pudding mix. I add it to my dry ingredients.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #11 of 34
Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 34

Yorkiemum...the jello must dissolve into the jelly because it doesn't make it grainy. Not that I could tell anyway. I just put a real thin layer of the filling, so you can see it, and taste it, but if you put a lot of it, it would be too overpowering, in my opinion.

hmoffett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmoffett Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 7:07pm
post #13 of 34

If you need the White on White recipe, I can PM it to you icon_smile.gif

crazycakes2007 Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 8:09pm
post #14 of 34

Hmoffett, yes, I would like a white cake recipe that you like... Please pm me. thank you for your trouble! <<<<<<Cheryl

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 4:55am
post #15 of 34

I've made the Shubox decadently moist cake many, many times & it's been perfect each time. I don't taste the coconut once the cake is baked, but it has a wonderful buttery flavor. In fact, my husband hates coconut but loves this cake. It has become my standard white butter cake & so far I haven't been disappointed!

Bec

crazycakes2007 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 34

Thanks Bec, I won't rule this one out then... Cheryl

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 7:04pm
post #17 of 34

I have recently converted to scratch baking and by far my favorite white cake is the White Butter from WBH. It is very moist and the texture is perfect!
I also have taken some raspberry icing fruit
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=icing%20fruit&page=-1
and added it to my butter cream (IMBC) and it was amazing! You do not need a lot of the icing fruit to give it a ton of flavor either! It is not a jelly or jam but more intense flavor.
Best of luck!
Tracy

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 7:36pm
post #18 of 34

Can you post the recipe for the Shubox coconut cake?
K

chefmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefmom Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 34

I am glad to see this post. I usually make the white velvet butter cake from the cake bible but have not been totally please with it. I would love to try the white WBH recipe. Would someone PM the recipe please.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 34

The WBH cake is listed in the recipes section here,
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4093-87-WBH-White-Butter-Cake.html
Enjoy!
Tracy

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 8:44pm
post #21 of 34

With the WASC recipie I have a question. You add the cake mixes dry right then add the 8 egg whites? I'm guessing you dont make up the mixes first then add all the other ingredients? icon_confused.gif I hope i'm not confusing.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:00pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

With the WASC recipie I have a question. You add the cake mixes dry right then add the 8 egg whites? I'm guessing you dont make up the mixes first then add all the other ingredients? I hope i'm not confusing.

Not confusing at all!

You add the cake mixes dry - treat them like you would flour etc. The dry mixes are a "base" and all the other ingredients are added on top of it!

It is a great cake.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #23 of 34

The WASC cake is the dry ingredients. Then you use the mix with the other stuff. You don't make the cake batter then mix everything. I combine all the dry ingredients then add everything else. Less clumps that way.

GolfAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GolfAddict Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 9:10pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

WASC is White Almond Sour Cream...it is TO DIE FOR!!!! So so so good. It is in the recipe section. It is THE ONLY white cake I make now...It is soooo good.

I have read about this one on a lot of posts. Seems to be a favorite of lots.

What does it taste like? Do you taste the almond and sour cream? Or is the SC just there for moistness?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:11pm
post #25 of 34

Ok thats it I'm making it!!!
It sounds soooo yummy!

What is the consistancy of the cake? Dense like pound cake? or like a regular box mix?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:26pm
post #26 of 34

After testing several white cake recipes (scratch ones) I LOVE and use the WBH white butter cake. It's similiar in texture to that of box and it's very moist!
Jacqui

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:28pm
post #27 of 34

When trying to find a good white cake recipe I realized that i don't like white cake but I still wanted to have a good recipe for my archive. I have tried the WBH recipe and it's OK, not great. The Cake Bible is great when eaten the day off, dry after that. Dede Wilson is not bad and I've heard that the best white cake recipe is the one from Cook's Illustrated. I believed I tried it but still didn't care for the taste, it's probably my not liking white cakes at all. I'm looking forward to trying the Shubox white coconut cake. It sounds delish.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 11:33pm
post #28 of 34

Can anyone add some tips about making the WBH cake? I've tried it twice now and each time it's developed a rather thick "crust" which I had to carve off. I literally just took one out of the oven. Well, one pan didn't release the cake at all so that one was a goner, but the other one crusted on top and also at the edges. My 9" cake will be more like a 7" cake when I'm through with it...

I am wondering if this could involve the step involving folding in the beaten egg whites? I keep reading how popular this cake is, has anyone else found it challenging to bake??

Not trying to hijack the thread here, just figured, if the OP chooses to bake this cake, some tips might help! But since I'm about to rebake of course I have a personal interest at stake too icon_wink.gif .

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:18am
post #29 of 34

Oh Ceshell I just PM'd you but another tip for you...use parchment paper on the bottom of your pans. You'll always have your cakes release.
Jacqui

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 12:21am
post #30 of 34

LOL thanks Jacqui. That was my bad, I used waxed this time - duh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%