Travelling With Cakes!!

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 21 Aug 2007 , 4:12am by lizzamaryann

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hey Everyone I need some help!!

Heres the deal. On thursday I am travelling about 5 hours away to do my nieces sweet 16 cake. The cake is for Saturday. I will be putting it all together on Friday and Saturday if needed. Its a four tier cake, so lots of cake.

Heres the thing, I have them all baked and frozen. I was going to bring them in a large cooler with bags of ice. Then just store them in the fridge until friday. Do you think this will be ok???

Also I was hoping that I could torte and fill them here before I go, and just rewrap them and pop them nack in the freezer. Can I do that?? Re-freeze after they have been thawed enough to torte and fill???

Thanks everyone for your help!

UGHHH what did I get myself intoicon_smile.giflol icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't think a double freeze is a good idea. If you start with them frozen and protected from smashing as they thaw, it should be fine.

NolansMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NolansMom Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #3 of 4

bump

lizzamaryann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzamaryann Posted 21 Aug 2007 , 4:12am
post #4 of 4

use dry ice!!! i just delivered a wedding cake this past weekend, which was about a 6 hr drive.

I put the dry ice at the bottom (about 30 lbs, in my area they are about $1/pound) and put the boxes of cake on top.
The cake will remain very cold, it should be fine.
That much of dry ice will last almost 1 day, so no worries.

Just make sure to crack a window open for your safety!
Dry ice can be dangerous to your health as it "melts" it becomes carbon dioxide.
We had no prob, just drove w/ the windows down.

Good luck!!! icon_smile.gif Best wishes to you, hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%