Breast Cancer Awareness Bake Sale

Decorating By curiouscakes Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 5:46pm by CranberryClo

curiouscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiouscakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #1 of 9

FIL asked me to prepare something for him to bring to his work bake sale for a big Breast Cancer Awareness fair. So, I'm pretty good at being creative with decorating, but I'm asking for any ideas.
Should I do cupcakes or cookies instead of a cake because it'd be easier to sell individually?
I'm dropping whatever I make off at his house the night before, so no fresh fruit fillings, which is what I usually make. So, any suggestions? Favorite recipes for me?
I'm totally up in the air with this and have no plans as of now. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much!

8 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

Have you seen the October cookie club thread? There are some great cookies there and decorated a few different ways.

curiouscakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 9

No other suggestions?!

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

How about cupcakes decorated in pink and white, or cookies with the pink ribbon in icing?

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 9

Hi there -

I just participated in seven bake sales all benefitting Breast Cancer awareness.

These two went over the best:

strawberry cupcakes w/lemon icing and pink fondant ribbons (in my photos)

chocolate cupcakes w/chai icing (the chai icing was like crack - very, very addictive)

Unless you know your "market" is going to support big cakes, I'd stick with cupcakes and cookies. Not a lot of people are in the mindset to drop $20 at a bake sale, but $1 or $2 for a beautiful cupcake is doable!

Good for yoU!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 9

I also did cupcakes for a breast cancer benefit, except I used a basket weave tip and did my ribbons. I don't know if you want to work with fondant or not,but I used cream cheese icing and my basketweave and it worked! Good luck and Happy Baking-Katie icon_biggrin.gif

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 9

How about pink ribbon shaped cookies with something like "bake for the cure" written on them?

curiouscakes Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 9

What is the recipe for the chai icing? If you don't mind sharing, that'd be great!
Also, I'll definately use the ribbon or bake for the cure slogans.
If I did a cake, it'd be cut into pieces and sold by the piece I think.
I'll probably do a small 8" just for show to look nice. Then make the cookies and cupcake for sale.
Thanks for the help.
Also, if you have any favorite recipes for cupcakes, like the strawberry with lemon and whatnot, let me know!
Thanks again!

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 9

Hi there -

The strawberry cake is the strawberry cake from scratch recipe here.

The lemon buttercream is just your favorite buttercream recipe with some lemon curd mixed in (do it to taste - but be warned it can be very, very soft and isn't good for piping anything more than a swirl).

The chai buttercream proportions are in the comments of that picture in my photos. It isn't an exact recipe.

Good luck - I raised about $150 this year just from cupcakes/cookies/cakes. I got to $225 when combined with some sewing thing I sold.

Next year I'm doing the 3 day walk and need to raise $2200!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%