Not A Disaster, But Not Very Pretty Either

Decorating By missmeg Updated 23 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm by lynseyg2002

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 15

Good thing this was for my daughter's 5th birthday this past weekend. I'd like to thank msams for the overall design idea, and jkalman for helping me with the fondant. It was my first time playing with fondant.

Why oh why did I decide that my *first* fondant be a 3-D teapot cake? The spout never did harden completely, and up until the last minute it was being held in place by my small fondant roller. Took it away just long enough for the picture. Lots of RI glueing and it still kept on slipping down. Oh, well.

I also had some siginifican draping issues with getting the fondant down the cake. One major fold I hid with the painted branch you see thumbs_up.gif. But the back of the cake tells the story better.

I think my next fondant project will be a *small* round cake icon_lol.gif.
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 15

all in all I think it is a very pretty cake. I'm too scared to try a fondant covered cake. Better luck on your next one. looks like your DD was happy and that is all that matters.

iheartbirthdaycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartbirthdaycake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 15

I think you did a great job! I'm making a fondant ladybug cake for my daughter's birthday next month and I'm a little nervous.

suzannetherlands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannetherlands Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 15

I like it very much!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 15

I think it is lovely and I also think you little one is a cutie patootie!!! icon_smile.gif

She loved it that's all that matters right?

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 15

How cute is that!! You did a lovely job and your little one is precious!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 15

Awww! A for effort and having the guts to try that first!!! You will get the hang of fondant, just keep trying.

I think you cake looks great. And I have to tell you, being able to overcome the mistakes or equipment failures, or weather issues is a VERY important part of this craft. I love your painting of the tree, great idea!

Thanks

Julia

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 15

what a lovely job of painting the branch & flowers!what did you make the spout & handle out of? Did you put sucker sticks in so stick into the cake to hold it?
It is best to make spouts out of royal or gp so they can dry well before applying to the final cake. The thinner you can make them the better. Keeps the weight down.
Your finished cake is very nice. I'm sure your dd didn't object to the 'folds'.
It take some getting used to working w/fondant to cover a shaped cake. It's best if you elevate the cake on something that is smaller or exactly the same in diameter than the cake so the fondant can hang down in order to smooth it completely. HTH

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 15

I think it looks great!!! icon_biggrin.gif

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 15

By the sparkle in your daughters eyes, I'd say it was a huge hit! icon_wink.gif

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 15

I did a fondant covered teapot last month for a shower cake and had the same issues with the fondant gathering at the bottom. I used rolled pearls to hide most of it but I would like to know how to avoid this in the future.

BTW...your DD is adorable! icon_smile.gif

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 15

Don't be dissapointed! I think you made a beautiful cake. My husband told me this weekend when I was worrying about a cake I made that if it came out perfect, I would have nothing to strive for. And, that would be the end of my love to make cakes. You now have learned so much for the next cake. In the meantime, it looks like your precious daughter loved her cake and I'm sure she was very proud of you! Stay confident...and just imagine how awesome her 6th birthday cake will be! In one year, I'm sure those folds will be a long lost memory!!! take care~~

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 15

I don't know about the draping problem, but for the spout add 50% gumpaste to the fondant and it dries quicker and harder. HTH It turned out well, I have yet to try one of the teapots though and your daughter was thrilled so you did well!!!!!!!

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 15

i think your cake is lovely, and i think your daughter thought so too. icon_biggrin.gif

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 23 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 15

i think your cake is lovely, and i think your daughter thought so too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%