Sweet 16 Cake Challenge

Decorating By OhMyGanache Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 1:35am by golfgirl1227

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:55am
post #1 of 80

Just finished watching it a little while ago, and I have to say this...WHO THE HECK DOES KERRY VINCENT THINK SHE IS?!?

Granted, she's an amazing decorator. Very talented. Years of experience. Written books. Blah, blah, blah...

But the way she talks and puts down the competitors, you'd think she never made a mistake in her life. I'd love to see HER in the next cake competition - that's all I'm sayin'. lol!

This is the most condescending I've ever seen her. I was really put off by her know-it-all attitude.

79 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:21am
post #2 of 80

As is the traditional reply... If you were to meet Kerry in person when she's NOT judging she's really rather encouraging to everyone in the cake biz. Remember she's there to BE the critical eye. She's a details person and a perfectionist when she does get into the kitchen. OTOH, Kerry has also been known to bend the rules herself if you watch some of the episodes filmed at the OSSAS show. She's not a "stick in the mud", she's a staff to help someone up not kick when they're down! It's been discussed ad nauseum but what you see on the show is out of 12 hours of filming time narrowed down to 30 minutes of show time (once you take out for ads it's only about a 30 minute show)..

Granted, it'd be fun to watch Duff and Colette judge a competition of Kerry, Keegan, Nick, and that other announcer guy... but ANYWAYS, they all really are good with what they do and I wouldn't want to compete against them because I'd probably get my tapedshut.gif kicked home... icon_lol.gificon_cool.gificon_confused.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:27am
post #3 of 80

I adore Kerry! I have chatted with her on the phone for over a hour. She is always willing to help me with anything I have asked! She knows her stuff.

OhMyGanache Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:30am
post #4 of 80

I understand that "critical eye" when she's judging at OSSAS, but the FN challenges are a whole different ballgame. In 8 hours, you have to meet with your "client", design a cake at least 3 feet tall, and create that cake... hoping that you brought enough supplies to complete it. You work under hot lights and in front of an audience and with 3 (or 4 if you include the teenage girl) very critical people and a camera crew hovering over you and distracting you. Not to mention knowing that all your competitors are watching as well (and secretly hoping your cake will fall! LOL!).

I just don't think she needs make such rude comments, when I don't know that she could accomplish all that in 8 hours.

CoutureCake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:37am
post #5 of 80

She doesn't judge at OSSAS, she runs the show! OSSAS is her baby, she makes the decisions and it's FAR more competitive there than the Challenges could EVER hope to be.. The bakers going to the Challenges have had time to prepare it's the production staff and editing that creates the drama in it. The competitors flip the bill for what you see on the show so of COURSE they can only bring so much "stuff" with them AND, they're limited on the amount of stuff they actually CAN bring with them because they're required to use pretty much everything they bring with them.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:40am
post #6 of 80

I loved all of the cakes. I think all of them did what they were supposed to do. I think if I were a girl having the chance to have such a fancy 16th birthday, I wouldn't have turned my nose up to any one of them. I just think that is teaching young people how to be rude to adults.

Yes I think the Kerri could have a little more tack in how she delivers, but then again we are only seeing part of it.

All of the cake would have been fit for a princess of 16.

cCc

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:41am
post #7 of 80

I think maybe they edit it to make Kerry look like an overbearing school marm, even when she's not.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:44am
post #8 of 80

Can't believe I missed it! I've got it recording later on when it repeats! Love the cake challenges!
Now I have to get up that much earlier to watch before I go off to run errands and take DD to the doctor!

moydear77 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:47am
post #9 of 80

Yes, the magic of TV everyone. I have seen four Challenges in person. KERRY is a giving person. I just tire of these debates about what we see on TV. She has accolades coming out of her ears. She is not a judge at OSSAS, She owns the show pretty much! It has been her ansd Loy's baby for quite sometime now.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 5:52am
post #10 of 80

I have the show recorded and have yet to watch it. I am glad to hear Kerry is on the show.

She is a very down to earth woman. I emailed her back in February about my show cake and she immediately replied and gave me some very helpful advice. She gave me her phone number and said to call if I had any questions. I didn't call but I thought that was very nice. She also had emailed to me the air dates for the OSAS on Food Network.

Funny thing is I immediately emailed my sister and told her about Kerry's reply and I called her the "Queen of decorating" and I mistakenly sent Kerry that email!!!!!!!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

She replied back with that email saying "I think you meant to send this to someone else. I assure you I am no Queen..................." She went on about other things but I thought that was so cool!!!

Anyway, here is what she wrote:

Dear Amy:

I think you meant this to go to someone else.

Don't worry, I am no queen, am very down to earth, say what's on my mind, get flack for it from time to time, stick to principle and honesty and the rest is just fluff -- write anytime you like, your e-mails are as welcome as the flowers in May!

Best always,

Kerry

That that was funny!

Amy

CoutureCake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:15am
post #11 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Anyway, here is what she wrote:

Dear Amy:

I think you meant this to go to someone else.

Don't worry, I am no queen, am very down to earth, say what's on my mind, get flack for it from time to time, stick to principle and honesty and the rest is just fluff -- write anytime you like, your e-mails are as welcome as the flowers in May!

Best always,

Kerry

That that was funny!

Amy

THAT is the Kerry I've met!! However for a short time that I was able to chat with her because she WAS judging a FN Challenge, but she was so encouraging about getting involved in the industry PR stuff and going to Oklahoma (in due time, I want to get some more stripes in).

To be honest, I was a bit shy about going and saying "Hi" at the ICES Convention...

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:17am
post #12 of 80

How cool was that to meet her!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif I value any advice she has to give! I should get a chance to watch the show tomorrow!!! Can't wait to see it!

Amy

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 80

Well that Food Network really does put her in a terrible light doesn't it?

.....never a smile because they are always edited out.........

OhMyGanache Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 80

I'm sure she can be a wonderful person...

It's also possible that (like Bronwen) the more of these competitions she's a part of, and the more times she's on TV - the smaller her britches are getting for her.

But I could be wrong; that's just the way it seems to me.

moydear77 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleKitten

I'm sure she can be a wonderful person...

It's also possible that (like Bronwen) the more of these competitions she's a part of, and the more times she's on TV - the smaller her britches are getting for her.

But I could be wrong; that's just the way it seems to me.

Bronwen a friend of mine and is also a wonderful person. I just chatted with her via email and have had the honor of just hanging out with her. My husband works on TV. I have to say that most everything you hear or see has been edited in some way shape or form. I have known Bronwen for a couple of years now and she has always been giving and sharing.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 80

OH no! I missed it! I thought it was on at 9pm but all i got was the iron chef. icon_sad.gif Will they replay it?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 80

Oh beachcakes, of course they will replay it for the next month over and over ad naseaum.......... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

August 20, 2007 3:00 AM ET/PT
August 22, 2007 9:00 PM ET/PT
August 23, 2007 12:00 AM ET/PT
August 25, 2007 6:00 PM ET/PT
August 26, 2007 3:00 PM ET/PT

What I liked about this challenge is that it didnt rely on some already preexisting TV, Movie and/or Industry characters just to continue to market that character even further into our popular culture!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 4:40pm
post #18 of 80

Thx tiptop!! icon_smile.gif

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 6:37pm
post #19 of 80

Did anyone catch how the cookies and cream cake was set up? The layers were chocolate and white or ? Or a recipe for it? I'd love to taste a cake like that. Too bad they didn't give out any recipes this time.

For those who don't know, they've given out a fair amount of recipes of name cake decorators through these challenges.

Duff's Buttercream
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32891,00.html?rsrc=search

Kim Morrison's Buttercream
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30215,00.html?rsrc=search

Colette Peter's Chocolate Bourbon Coconut Cake
(Wedding Cake Challenge)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30225,00.html?rsrc=search

Stanton Ho Genoise with Buttercream-Italian Meringue
(Wedding cake challenge)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30224,00.html?rsrc=search

Michelle Bommarito "Rich Chocolate Cake with New York Attitude"
(Wedding Cake Challenge)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_30220,00.html?rsrc=search

Bronwen Weber's Milk Chocolate Cupcakes
(Cupcake Challenge) http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32103,00.html?rsrc=search

There's a lot more on the FN site, including the recipes from not cake-related challenges.

moydear77 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #20 of 80

I done a chocolate cake and white cake layer for years. I tend to bake off in two inch pans for this.

CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:24pm
post #21 of 80

Thanks. I think I'll have to reDVR it and watch for details during the explanation for filling.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:29pm
post #22 of 80

I'm wondering if it's "just TV" or if the fillings are always that thick in these cakes. Tell me if it didn't seem that the cookies and cream filling and chocolate ganache seemed to be at least 1/2" thick!?! Is this only because it was specifically for the tasting? It seems that if the bottom layer of cake were actually this saturated with filling that it would surely bulge and give out-wouldn't it?! I don't put even HALF that amount of filling...maybe I should?!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #23 of 80

While I haven't sat down and talked to Kerry I have seen her in person and have heard her talk to a large group. She always speaks very well, with very thought out ideas.

I agree that what you see on TV is what the people running the network what you to see. The average person wouldn't watch the cake challenges unless there were drama involved.

As far as the cookies and cream filling. There is a recipe floating around here that uses some kind of whip cream. I have made my own version just using my basic butter cream with crushed oreos mixed in. Yummy!! I did a cake like that, the white and chocolate layers with the cookies and cream for my nephew's b-day.

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:38pm
post #24 of 80

I was a little surprised that the cake with the 16 princess crown on top and purse was considered too young. I thought it would have been perfect for a 16 yr. old girl. Shoot, I'm 25 and would have been more than pleased to have that as my own cake. It's too bad.

The winning cake was gorgeous but I really thought the other one screamed "Sweet 16"!!!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 80

Thanks, tiptop57, for the times. I missed it but will be sure to catch one of the repeats.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:07pm
post #26 of 80

CakesByMonica: Thank you for all the links. I didn't even know that those recipes got posted there.

I LOVE Michelle Bommarito's cakes. Loved the one she did for this competition. It was soooo pretty in PINK!! icon_biggrin.gif The top tier was just beautiful!!! Thta baby pink she used was soooo delicate!

Too bad she didn't win. I like her cakes. She does excellent work.

Liked the cake that won too, but for a Sweet 16 I think that it was a bit too mature. The guy that made it was very humble and had a good attitude. And his cake looked soooo YUMMY!!!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 8:25pm
post #27 of 80

I think what won it over for James was the fact that it tasted soo good! I would've LOVED to have a taste of cake like that! Wow! In the middle of the challenge she was saying that she would change her theme to go with the cake! NOW! RAE ANN DID say that she loved Michelle's Pretty in Pink Design until Kerry said something about being too weddingish. I think that she was an impressionable 16 year old just like all kids are. There is no harm in that and she choose the one that made her party seem older! I THINK!
I also agree with Cindy1207. That is MY type of cake and I am 25! LOL I think the purse was very cool and the whimsicalness of the whole thing made it seem different. OH, I think what knocked her out of the ranking was the type of crown she made. Seemed a little plastic looking. I think if she would've went with hanging beads off of it she would've won! AGAIN! Just MY opinion! (and yes I was making up words in there! LOL)

I think too that Kerry's smiles are edited out. I think the network likes to give this anxiety factor to the challenge and she can SEEM a little intimidating but, she really does know what she's talking about. I would do ANYTHING to meet her! But, these challenges make me feel like I have a looong way to go in the cake decorating world!

Stephanie

CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 9:22pm
post #28 of 80

Youre welcome, Maria.

eatsleepdreamcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatsleepdreamcake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #29 of 80

I've read enough here on CC from people who have attended FN challenges in person and even met competitors and judges, to know that you have to take the actual show with a grain of salt. As with any reality TV, editing can make something seem totally different than it really was. That said, I'm probobly a victim of editing but I had to feel bad for Michelle Doll when Kerry totally pushed her plate of cake away and said it was dry! I would want to cry! Also, I totally loved the whimsical cake with the purse. I agree with the competitor who made it when she said kids are trying to grow up and be all mature too soon these days.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 80

tapedshut.gifshhh.gif

<fingers in the ears icon needed here> I'm not listening.... I can't hear you!

How amazing is Cake Central..... I replied to a post about this saying " icon_cry.gif I can't see this in the UK" and lo and behold I get an offer from someone I don't even know to tape it and send it to me. AND she won't accept any reimbursement for her time and trouble. Thank you so, so much Bakingangel! You're unbelievably generous. I can't wait to receive and watch the tape!

Suzanne x x x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%