Help Sports Ball Pan.

Decorating By biviana Updated 19 Oct 2006 , 11:33pm by kady1158

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 25

icon_cry.gif
I do have a sports ball pan on the oven right now, but I just open the oven after 40 min, and notice that the cake wasn't ready. I didn't even insert anything. Inmidiatelly I close the oven and afetr 1 more min. the cake got a big hole in the middle icon_cry.gif
I have to make 2 balls cakes for this saturday.
I need help! What did I do wrong? Should I use a flower nail in that pan?
How long do I have to keep it in the oven? it is usually that long?
Please any help would be appreciated.
I already have the batter for the next try, and I do not want to mess that one as well icon_sad.gif
Biviana

24 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 25

The same thing happened to me the first one I tried. Then, I baked at 325, and used a flower nail in the center. I also put it on a heavy cookie sheet.

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 25

I baked it at 325 for an hour. It just really takes a long time to get the center done on any pan that's so thick. I didn't use the nail, but I never do. I just don't open the oven for an hour on the ball pan.

Good luck!!

biviana Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 25

Hi,
Thanks so much for your answers. At least I am not the only one. icon_rolleyes.gif
Well I just put the next one. I'll try at least an hour. Whish me luck this time. I hope the center is gonna be done thus time. I'm also baking at 325.
Thanks again. I let you know if thisone worked icon_smile.gif

suitelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suitelady Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 25

What does a flower nail do? Does that help the cake bake evenly like using a heating core?

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 25

Question about the Ball Pan~~~

I have tried this pan four times..... and once I get the cake done and decorated the bottom always starts to collapse..... It is as if the top of the ball is too heavy for the bottom cake to support it.

Any suggestions??? This is driving me crazy.

TIA

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 25

Yes, the flower nail helps it bake evenly like a heating core. But the advantage of a flower nail is that it leaves a very small hole.

I should add, when using the flower nail, or the heating core, make sure you grease it up as well, to help it come out clean icon_wink.gif

HTH!
Mirjana

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekizer

Question about the Ball Pan~~~

I have tried this pan four times..... and once I get the cake done and decorated the bottom always starts to collapse..... It is as if the top of the ball is too heavy for the bottom cake to support it.

Any suggestions??? This is driving me crazy.

TIA

I baked with the mini sports ball pan and used a chocolate cake mix less some oil (just as instructed) and it did the same thing. On the next one I used a DH Pound Cake mix and all went well. It is the bowling ball in my photos. HTH!!

biviana Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 25

The flower nail is used to get the cake done inside before you burn the outside. Yes like a heating core.

jekizer ....
I didn't know it was gonna be that difficult. I need suggestions as well as I have to decorate 2 of them by Friday night icon_eek.gif .

Please any advice? Do I have to dowell the cake? I was planning just on putting some filling in between. mmm HELP!!!!

jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 25

Sorry..... Didn't mean to scare you biviana. I hope this doesn't happen to you..... But if it doesn't I want to know what you did to make it work.

biviana Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 25

icon_cry.gif
The second try didn't work either. icon_cry.gif
What should I do? Do you think is my recipe?

jekizer Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 25

I'm so sorry..... I don't know what to tell you. I wish I had some insight....

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 25

I just checked the ball pan instructions that are online at Wilton. It states to use a pound cake or firm texture cake.

I would definitely use a pound cake mix. Duncan Hines makes them or you can use one of your favorite pound cake recipes. This site has a recipe called "Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes" and is specifically for this type of cake.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 25

so glad I saw this thread, I was getting ready to make a regular lemon poppyseed cake in the sports ball pan to try to make a teapot out of it. back to square 1.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 18 Oct 2006 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 25

Yep, use a pound cake recipe. I actually made my first ball cake Monday. It turned out perfect. I used DH pound cake. You should dowel it. Just using straws would work just fine. Also bake at 325 for 40 to 60 minutes & don't open the oven. That is what is causing you to get a hole & make the cake sink. Leave the door closed till the time allowed. It's just my opinion but I don't think you need a flower nail. Just bake it 325 & it should be fine~ Good luck with your next ones. I hate your having so much trouble. But your learning so that's good! Hang in there & don't get discouraged it'll turn out ok~ You'll be a cake ball pro by the time this is over! thumbs_up.gif

biviana Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 12:03am
post #16 of 25

Yes I'm learning!
Third time and it didn't work either. This time I was baking at 325 using a flower nail, but I thik I overfilled the pan. It actually grow to much that it got out of the pan. I didn't listen and didn't put a cookie sheet under it. It started to burn..... icon_cry.gif
Anyway I hope next time is gonna work. I'll start baking like in half an hour. I run out of eggs icon_mad.gif
Thanks for all your help. I'll let all of you know how it did go.
Wish me luck....again icon_rolleyes.gif
Biviana

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 2:42am
post #17 of 25

Hang in there Biviana~ You'll get it!

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 25

i'm glad I saw all of this. My cake ball is on the way. I need to make a chocolate brain by November 4. I was going to use the cake extender recipe using DH devil's food. Will that work or do I need to search for a pound cake?

And after all this, I'm not looking forward to using the ball.

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 25

I wouldn't use devils food because it is very crumbly. You need something thicker. Maybe a homemade devils food but I wouldn't use a box.

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I wouldn't use devils food because it is very crumbly. You need something thicker. Maybe a homemade devils food but I wouldn't use a box.

would you recommend a chocolate pound cake or could i get away with adding cocoa powder to a yeloow cake mix and using the extender recipe?

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:25pm
post #21 of 25

I think DH has a recipe of a choc lb cake on the back of the lb cake box. I just made it Monday.. sorry I don't have another box or I'd look it up. I'll look in my Cake Mix Dr book & see if it has one. Hold on a few~

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 5:28pm
post #22 of 25

Going to PM you with a recipe~

Destini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destini Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:13pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Going to PM you with a recipe~

If it's not too much trouble could you please give me the recipe too?

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:20pm
post #24 of 25

Sure just give me a few minutes to get you a PM~

kady1158 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kady1158 Posted 19 Oct 2006 , 11:33pm
post #25 of 25

I'm glad I saw this post. I have to make a bowling ball next week and the customer wants marble cake. Normally I would just swirl choc batter into a reg yellow cake mix. but now I now I'll use pound cake for my base...Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%