Do You Charge Less For Kitchen Cakes?

Business By beachcakes Updated 22 Aug 2007 , 3:23am by MustloveDogs

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

There are alot of brides on a budget, and I can certainly understand that! If a bride wants a small wedding cake for cutting & pictures and wants to make up the difference in servings in sheet cakes (sheets around here are always filled), do you price differently?

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:59am
post #2 of 6

No.

- They are getting the same amount of cake, no matter what pan I bake it in.

- I do not find sheet cakes any faster to bake/ice, than the same amount of servings in a regular wedding cake, so it's not saving ME any time or money..... which is the ONLY reason that a bride would or should get it cheaper.

- My sheet cake pricing does NOT include delivery, so it's nuts to think I will sell you a cake at a lower price and deliver it just because it's 'attached' to a wedding cake.

- I've never done a sheet cake or "kitchen" cake with a wedding because I work with brides to get a TRUE headcount, which reduces their cost. The key to staying on budget is to NOT pay for the people who are NOT there.

At $2.50 a serving, a difference of 50 people can save a bride $125.

For example:

Wedding cake for 200 x $2.50/serving = $500

.........................OR.....................................

Wedding cake for 150 x $2.50/serving = $375 PLUS......
Sheet/kitchen cake for 50 x $1.50/serv = 75
Total: ................................................. $450

With a "true" headcount of 150:

wedding cake for 150 x $2.50 = $375

It's cheaper for the bride to order a regular wedding cake for a true expected headcount of 150 instead of wedding cake + sheet cake for the unrealistic 200.

I saved a bride over $800 by working with her to get a true headcount. she's now my best advertiser!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:54am
post #3 of 6

nope!! i don't charge extra for additional buttercream decoration, so i can't discount for not having them! my rent to bake the cakes is the most expensive part of making a cake, and i pay the same rent regardless of what type of cake i bake

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 7:43am
post #4 of 6

I charge $2.50/serving for "UNdecorated Kitchen cakes" (aka same number of layers/filling as the main wedding cake, but just the 20 second decorating job before running out the door).. I also charge per serving of the true count the bride has so I adjust the size of the kitchen cakes accordingly but the main cake size/servings are set long before the kitchen cakes so that $$$ doesn't change on the main cake unless she wants to increase the size of the main cake.

Truth be told, I only charge nominally if a bride wants the undecorated cakes stacked into a tiered cake, but for some reason brides don't think about saving money THAT way and just adding a couple blooms (even though I've got a dummy done up this way)..

judybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judybee Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #5 of 6

My two layer kitchen cakes come out to about $.75 per serving less. I don't do anything but borders on them, I'm not cutting dowels or anything. I have a minimum order for the wedding cake though, so they can't just order a tiny wedding cake and then get all kitchen cakes.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 22 Aug 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 6

No, mine are the same as my decorated cakes. I find it is really hard to get a plain iced white fondant cake to look perfect, so I will charge for it. And I would rather they choose 2 novelty designs instead just for creativity's sake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%