Help Solve Debate Between Me And Hubby!

Decorating By alisoncooks Updated 20 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm by gateaux

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 26

OK, my DH and I are stumped! We want to know what everyone else out there does and what the "proper" method is. He thinks I'm a total boob because when I bake my cake, I flip it out onto a cookie sheet (so now it's upside down) and then I re-flip it onto my cooling rack (so now the top is back up again). This would then be the generally rounded surface that gets leveled off. He thinks I go one step too far. He says the part that cooks on the bottom should become the top (flipping only once out of the pan)--that's how his mom did it. IS THIS MAKING SENSE? icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif Please, don't spare me if I'm wrong. I'd rather find out now b/f someone else finds me out icon_biggrin.gif SO....what's corrrect? But if I'm right, let me know quickly so I can tell him icon_razz.gif

25 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 26

I've seen a thread about this topic before and many people do it both ways. I agree with him, though that the bottom of the cake (that sits in the bottom of the pan) should be the top of your cake. I always put the bottom layer the right way and the top layer upside down. Then I know for sure that the top of my cake was perfectly level. Even if you do this, though, I don't think it matters which way you cool the cake.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 26

I cool my cakes right in the pan. Then, once cool, take a serrated knife and, using the edges of the pan to keep my cutting straight, do my trimming. Then I flip the cake onto the cake board. If you use cake release, then there are no crumbs, and if I don't trim perfectly straight, it's no big deal because the bottom of the pan IS perfectly straight. thumbs_up.gif

FaithsPlace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithsPlace Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 26

I do it the same way that you do so im bumping this question icon_smile.gif

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 26

I am a "reflipper". I tend to find the the top of the cake sticks to the cooling surface if I don't.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 26

If I am not going to freeze right away I double flip. If I freeze I only flip once.

The reason I flip twice is because on the cooling rack the rounded edge always sticks to my counter through the Rack. So I flip it back onto my pan turned up side down ou a wrap covered cake board.

cCc

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 26

hmmm . . . well, I cool 10-15 minutes in the pan, level the top off with a large serrated knife, & flip out upside down onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. All my layers are assembled "bottoms up".

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 26

I flip my cakes out onto the cooling rack, bottom up to cool. I usually make 2- 2" cakes. After the cakes are cool, I flip them onto cake boards (one covered with saran wrap) then cut off the tops. The bottom layer is left on the cake board and the top layer ( on board covered with saran wrap) is flipped onto the bottom one ...so the top layer is bottom up. This gives you a nice clean edge and is easier to ice than the other end that has been cut to level. The saran wrap keeps the cake from sticking to the board and protects it so I can use it for another cake. Also, cooling them upside down keeps the grid pattern of the cooling rack from making an impression on the bottom which will eventually be the top of the cake. I think everyone finds there own method that works best for them and just sticks with it. Stick with what works for you. icon_biggrin.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 26

I've heard that the bottom of the cake should be the top. When I put them together I have one bottom on the cake board and the other bottom as the top if that makes sense. I do 2 2 inch cakes and torte them.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 26

Well...i make the rounded part of my cake straight with a serrated knife...and then flip it cause the underside is the straightest part of the cake.. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 26

I do it both ways, depends on the shape of the cake and how level it is. But if your going to level it, you have to reflip at one point!

Sorry I'm on the fence!

Good Luck.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 26

The bottom becomes the top, just as if it were a character pan, I do level the top in the pan - or use the push-down method while in the pan to level, then flip onto a rack or cookiesheet to cool then onto the cake board once it is torted so I don't get crumbs all over the cake board.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 26

Umm, I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong way, at the end of the day it's about what you feel happy doing and if you are getting the effect out of the cake you want then tell hubby to go bake his own cakes his way! icon_biggrin.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:13pm
post #14 of 26

Bottom on top always. Unless you are using a slanted or angled pan(as in a regular 8 inch pan, non-magic line or wilton). Then you put bottom layer bottom side up and top layer top side up. This gives you the straight up and down sides you want in a cake.

Magic line and wilton pans are straight sided and so the "bottoms up" method works best. Keeps the layers from separating or developing cracks when "flipping" them. The idea is that the less manipulation you have to do to the cake the better chance you have that it doesn't crack or start to spread.

Hope that solves your debate.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 26

If I'm doing a layer cake ~ on the bottom layer the bottom (level) part is on the bottom (touching the plate), but I level off the dome. The second layer the dome is leveled and placed down so the level part of the cake is up.

If I'm doing a sheet cake, the bottom part that touches the pan is actually the top of my cake.

I hope this makes sense.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 26

I do the double flip for a couple of reasons.

Unless you have leveled it PERFECTLY, gravity will work against you. If the corners of the cake are unsupported (not leveled perfectly therefore the corners of the cake are sticking up in the air with nothing under them), then gravity will pull those corners down and you have a higher chance of cracking or breaking.

When the cake is sitting on the cooling rack top side up, then after I level it, I lay the cardboard on top the of cake and flip it onto the cardboard. The top of the cake is now face down on the cardboard; the bottom of the cake is now face up and I have a perfectly flat surface to ice.

But honestly, there is no right or wrong .... whatever works best for you. And unless he's the one doing it, why does he care? It's not causing HIM any extra work. icon_confused.gif

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:26pm
post #17 of 26

I cool the cake in the pan for 5-10 min. then flip it out, bottom's up, onto parchment paper on my cooling rack to finish cooling.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

But honestly, there is no right or wrong .... whatever works best for you. And unless he's the one doing it, why does he care? It's not causing HIM any extra work. icon_confused.gif

Got me laughing AGAIN Debi!! icon_lol.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:31pm
post #19 of 26

Wilton recommends placing the cooling rack on top of the cake pan, then flipping both over to cool:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/index.cfm

To level, after cake layer is completely cooled - flip again and level:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/leveling.cfm

HTH

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:38pm
post #20 of 26

Bottoms are tops with me ! thumbs_up.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:52pm
post #21 of 26

This is so interesting to read b/c until he opened his mouth with a "Huh...my mom doesn't..." I had no idea that I was doing anything out of the ordinary. And since no one ever taught me how to bake/cook, I have no idea where or when I decided that this was how to do a cake icon_smile.gif (BTW--I'm sure everyone here can agree...nothing good ever comes from a husband saying "my mom doesn't...")

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:53pm
post #22 of 26

Ditto grama_j... bottoms are tops for me too!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:03am
post #23 of 26

I flip mine out directly onto the cake board so the flat side is facing up. I use bake-even strips, so there's never a crown to make it uneven. But if it were, I'd slice it off before flipping it out.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:20am
post #24 of 26

I just flip mine once, unless there is a big dome, which I usually don't have. I also don't trim unless there is a big dome or I'm stacking two layers.

For single layered or torted cakes, I put the top against the cake board, so I have the nice flat bottom and crisper edges at the top.

If I am doing a two layer cake I will put the first one bottom down, then put the second one buttom up. So the two domed (trimmed) parts are together in the middle.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 12:22am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks

(BTW--I'm sure everyone here can agree...nothing good ever comes from a husband saying "my mom doesn't...")

First, for the record, I LUV my MIL!!

But I began telling him early on: "Honey, if your mom did it that way back then, just assume it's the wrong way to do it today." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 20 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

First, for the record, I LUV my MIL!!

But I began telling him early on: "Honey, if your mom did it that way back then, just assume it's the wrong way to do it today." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Indydebi, I love your quote, I too love my MIL and I feel closer to her since my Mom passed 2 years ago.

But I too must say, today is different than yesterday.... I even had to say that to my mom a few times.

Good Luck !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%