Aine2 Style Character Help!

Decorating By Strazle Updated 19 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm by gateaux

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 10

I ordered the tutorial. This is the third attempt. I don't like her and her hands are a bit off. Oh how I wish I had Lorraine's talent. Here is the final product. What do you think I can do to improve?
LL

9 replies
dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 10

she is so cute!! Just keep practicing. I know that there are people that can do things right the first time but my philosophy is the first one always sucks but you learn from it and the second one is always better and the next and the next. Have you seen the people they make on Ace of Cakes, yours is way better than any I have seen on their stuff!!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 10

She looks great!!! Do be too hard on yourself. My only sugestion is to try using a liner brush so the eye lashes are not so thick and just practice on the hands they are soooo tricky to get right.

Val

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 10

Not bad! Her nose looks a little too upturned to me - a little piggy-ish. I would just bring it down a little and then maybe make the eyebrows a little less bushy. It takes lots of practice. I've done a couple figures and I still run into problems.... especially w/ my fondant cracking or not holding up really well. If you look at the figures I just did (the pixie teapot in my photos), I think they look good in the photos, but up close they had some problems - cracks in their hats and arms, hands are the hardest thing, and I hated their hair - it was much cuter in the book.

Good luck and keep practicing!

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 10

You should email it to aine2. She was more than happy to answer my questions!!!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 10

Hey Brooke Shields made a fortune with her bushey eyebrows!

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 10

goodness! i think that she looks GREAT! you guys are too hard yourselves! i wish i had the talent to do something like that!

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 10

I used a 000 brush for the face work....I don't think it gets smaller than that does it? I guess I was just to heavy handed. As for the nose, when I first put it on it looked okay and then after I did the indent for the eyes, I notice it looked "piggish" also. I have always been a perfectionist.....meaning to the best of MY ability. I guess I am just disappointed that MY best is not what I was hoping for. I appreciate the input and tips. Thanks gang!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 10

I think its spectacular! I see what people are suggesting, but overall I think you did one fantastic job! I would have never guessed you were new to figure modeling. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm trying to shift my perfectionist philosophy and here's what I tell myself when I feel the perfectionist voice beating me down "If I just squint my eyes when I look at it, that's about what other people see" Then those MINOR imperfections (cause you know that's all they are) disappear and you see what everyone else does: a beautiful piece of sugar art. Don't beat yourself down, you know you'll get better with every figure you do, but know that what you've created there is outstanding. And I second what dolphin said about Ace of Cakes. I was shocked at the quality of their figures. Yours is FAR better.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 19 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 10

I think she is great. Like other have said keep on praticing, I am trying to make one myself and I am still working on the skin portion, just cant get it looking right. Once it's ok, I will try to add a body!

So Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%