Fondant Roses And Ribbons

Baking By BlueDoggieGirl Updated 15 Jul 2005 , 11:08pm by empress

BlueDoggieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueDoggieGirl Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

I'm getting ready to work on my first cake for Wilton course III, and am planning on starting on fondant roses this weekend. I've decided to not use the Wilton fondant, based on all of the comments that I've seen about it. How well does the rolled buttercream work for roses? How about MMF? Is the recipe on the Wilton site for rolled fondant any less bitter than their packaged fondant? Any idea what ingredient(s) in the product causes the yuck factor? Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks in advance for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 7

icon_biggrin.gif I use 50/50...FOndant and Gum Paste...Fondant for texture and Gumpaste for strength...They last forever and looks more realistic...
Piped roses look very uniform looking although I can also do it. If you look at those very exquisite wedding cakes and special occassion cakes, you almost never see piped or other types of Roses besides Gumpaste or real flowers. It is mainly for looks, if the cake taste great & fabulous, then the flowers don't have to taste great. It is the inside that counts more.
Have a wonderful day...

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 7

Rolled buttercream doesn't work well for roses. It doesn't hold it's shape well and would be too soft unless you mix it with gumpaste for strength. It tastes good though!

Debbie

BlueDoggieGirl Posted 14 Jul 2005 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 7

How does the Wilton rolled fondant recipe taste? Any better than the boxed product? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 3:30am
post #5 of 7

I, too, am working on my Course III final cake and am using Marshmallow Fondant for my roses. I like how it is pliable and easy to work with --and besides it tastes really good.

Lera icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

BlueDoggieGirl Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 11:33am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the reply! Do the marshmallow roses hold up well? icon_smile.gif

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 15 Jul 2005 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 7

I am not sure, but I think they would. I have made some for decorations, but they were eaten within 24 hours, so I haven't had a chance to test for longevity. I'll have to make some and hide them... icon_rolleyes.gif

Lera

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%